1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
456 Posts
Kenny has a great idea there. I'm going to build one of those too.

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
Thanks guys!

There are few changes I would make, don't have time to detail it now so keep on me...

Reactions: PaDave

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
Thanks guys!

There are few changes I would make, don't have time to detail it now so keep on me...
I think you were suppose to give it to me! :munch:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I would weld a piece of 1 1/2 steel pipe for the wire...jus sayin :geek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Now that's just freak en ingenious. And it works!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12,226 Posts
Gizmo:

You are getting the new one with the improvements that Kenny is making. At least, that is the way I read it. :usa

Don

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
Gizmo:

You are getting the new one with the improvements that Kenny is making. At least, that is the way I read it. :usa

Don
Wow, I think you're correct. Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
Gizmo:

Don
Wow, I think you're correct. Thanks!
Yes, Don has it right...I will pack it on the motorcycle next time I come up that way and deliver it to you-but I want more than a ham and cheese samich this time!

Course, I am sure babycakes will be the one using it anyway-I know it's really HER tractor:mocking:

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
I think I would weld a piece of 1 1/2 steel pipe for the wire...jus sayin :geek:
The PVC I had on there was 1", not sure you'd want to go much bigger. I didn't weld steel pipe on because I can/do use this as "ripper", so I did not want the pipe permanent.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
Yes, Don has it right...I will pack it on the motorcycle next time I come up that way and deliver it to you-but I want more than a ham and cheese samich this time!

Course, I am sure babycakes will be the one using it anyway-I know it's really HER tractor:mocking:
Yea but did you have to post it on here?:hide:
She only needs it for about an hour, you can wait for it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Kenny, Getting on you as you requested to share the improvements you would make. I'm going to order a ripper shortly, and this just gives me more use for it, do you remember where yours is from?

One improvement I can think of would be to add a wire reel somewhere above to autofeed.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
I have found some (maybe most) rippers out there are too long to use with the smaller tractors (like our 2320). The ripper will not come up high enough for general traveling around without changing the 3 pth configuration to lift higher.

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
The "ripper" was just a replacement box-blade shank I bought from TSC, I welded it to the 2x2 tube and then added that square gusset becasue I was to lazy to cut it. I was in "get it done and functional" mode, not make it look pretty.

I made this quickly, for a one-time use so that is why the pipe was just strapped on, it was all about getting that wire buried before I put the lawn in. The line was to feed a small shed, but years later that small shed grew into the pole building I have now so that little 12/2 wire was abandoned.

The one major thing I would add is a piece of 1" or so angle iron the the rear of the shank to "cradle" or support the pipe better like this: O>- (pipe, angle, shank). A reel holder would be a great idea as well if your doing a long run, it could hang from the ROPS maybe.

This will only bury a line to about 12-14", so its not great for a lot of things. For things like LV landscape lighting and dog fences this would be a great tool, for a 100amp service to a outbuilding not so much. I would (and did) make "dry runs" to ensure there is not roots or rocks in you proposed path(s).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
The "ripper" was just a replacement box-blade shank I bought from TSC.
Now THAT is ingenious. :good2: I take back everything I told my wife about ya!:lol:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This will only bury a line to about 12-14", so its not great for a lot of things. For things like LV landscape lighting and dog fences this would be a great tool, for a 100amp service to a outbuilding not so much. I would (and did) make "dry runs" to ensure there is not roots or rocks in you proposed path(s).
Kenny, what would you recommend regarding a 100 amp service? Should it be deeper or run through a conduit etc?

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
Kenny, what would you recommend regarding a 100 amp service? Should it be deeper or run through a conduit etc?
24-36" deep around here-but check your local codes. 2" conduit as a minimum.

Cannot advise more without knowing distance, but there are lots of online calculators to help figure this like wire size and voltage loss.

Reactions: robpm

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
24-36" deep around here-but check your local codes. 2" conduit as a minimum.

Cannot advise more without knowing distance, but there are lots of online calculators to help figure this like wire size and voltage loss.
This is where the 8B comes in handy. But it all takes time. Thanks Kenny

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
Reactions: robpm
1 - 20 of 21 Posts