Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up-grading to a tractor mounted sprayer this year. Someone put a bug in my ear to add a few drops of liquid dish soap to my 26 gallon sprayer along with the Weed-B-Gonzo. Apparently it gives you a visual reference to your spray patterns? Or, does it just add to the "Sticky Factor" to cling to the weeds? Anyone have any input or personal experience?:danger:

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I've used liquid dish soap for many years, it's a wetting agent. It enhances the coverage of the liquid it's mixed with to flow more freely across the receiving surface. This gives better coverage and since you want the spray to be absorbed, better results.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I'm up-grading to a tractor mounted sprayer this year. Someone put a bug in my ear to add a few drops of liquid dish soap to my 26 gallon sprayer along with the Weed-B-Gonzo. Apparently it gives you a visual reference to your spray patterns? Or, does it just add to the "Sticky Factor" to cling to the weeds? Anyone have any input or personal experience?:danger:
Dish soap may be better than nothing, but a real spray surfactant is a million times better. It's cheap like dish soap, and doesn't foam. Some people say that dish soap may actually hurt the absorption of spray into the weed. Something to do with electrical charge.
My father was a crop duster, and we used a surfactant most of the time, but some chemicals it wasn't beneficial.
My main take away was to use dish soap for dishes and cleaning things.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dish soap may be better than nothing, but a real spray surfactant is a million times better. It's cheap like dish soap, and doesn't foam. Some people say that dish soap may actually hurt the absorption of spray into the weed. Something to do with electrical charge.
My father was a crop duster, and we used a surfactant most of the time, but some chemicals it wasn't beneficial.
My main take away was to use dish soap for dishes and cleaning things.

I just looked up what a "Surfacant" is etc. Quite some reading..... Found this line interesting. "World production of surfactants is estimated at 15 Mton/y, of which about half are soaps."

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
Lots of guys down here add dishwashing liquid to their generic (cheaper) glyphosate (Roundup).
They claim it makes it rainproof in one hour like the real Roundup.

I just buy the real "one hour rain proof Roundup", too much work to have a stray shower wash it all away.

Cajun

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Lots of guys down here add dishwashing liquid to their generic (cheaper) glyphosate (Roundup).
They claim it makes it rainproof in one hour like the real Roundup.

I just buy the real "one hour rain proof Roundup", too much work to have a stray shower wash it all away.

Cajun
If you really want to make your round up "bite", add some diesel fuel AND some soap.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
If you really want to make your round up "bite", add some diesel fuel AND some soap.
Also heard about the diesel fuel thing.
Have had pretty good luck with the one hour rainproof Roundup, had it rain pretty good a couple
of hours after spraying, it hung tough judging by the weeds a week later.

Kind of worried about using diesel in my sprayer system, it's a diaphragm type 12V electric pump and
they tell you not to use even Clorox in it.

Cajun

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Prodeuce

You might look at ProDeuce which is a combination of glyphosate and a pre-emergent chemical. It's a bit pricey. We're trying it under some electric fences along with our regular glyphosate. It hasn't rained since application and both are showing the same results so far. If the ProDeuce is good for all season, the cost is reasonable. If we have to reapply anyway, it's money down the drain or on the ground.

IMO, I can't see paying for Roundup over the generic glyphosate. However, if it gives someone else happiness by all means buy what you want and can afford. Either way, a surfactant is a good idea, particularly for weeds with either a fuzzy surface or an extremely slick surface. The better surfactants are both wetting agents and clinging agents. We always used something with Roundup (pre generic) or 2-4 D which is also very good on broad leaf weeds but doesn't really touch grasses.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also heard about the diesel fuel thing.
Have had pretty good luck with the one hour rainproof Roundup, had it rain pretty good a couple
of hours after spraying, it hung tough judging by the weeds a week later.

Kind of worried about using diesel in my sprayer system, it's a diaphragm type 12V electric pump and
they tell you not to use even Clorox in it.

Cajun
My experience over the past three years with a Round-up concentrate has been excellent. I have used it in a hand held pump up bottle sprayer. Many times it has been rained on after about 4 hours of setting on a plant and the plant still died. No issues there with me. Diesel fuel through a diaphragm 12V pump would most probably not be a good idea and I agree with you on that assertion.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
You might look at ProDeuce which is a combination of glyphosate and a pre-emergent chemical. It's a bit pricey. We're trying it under some electric fences along with our regular glyphosate. It hasn't rained since application and both are showing the same results so far. If the ProDeuce is good for all season, the cost is reasonable. If we have to reapply anyway, it's money down the drain or on the ground.

IMO, I can't see paying for Roundup over the generic glyphosate. However, if it gives someone else happiness by all means buy what you want and can afford. Either way, a surfactant is a good idea, particularly for weeds with either a fuzzy surface or an extremely slick surface. The better surfactants are both wetting agents and clinging agents. We always used something with Roundup (pre generic) or 2-4 D which is also very good on broad leaf weeds but doesn't really touch grasses.

Treefarmer
Used to use "Razor" which was a generic Roundup, was about half the price of a 2.5 gallon jug of Roundup.
Than the local distributor went up to $20 under the price of Roundup, so I said the heck with that and went to
Roundup rain proof, lots less worrying about the weather for just $20 bucks more.

2.5 gallons usually will last me a year, haven't checked on the price of Razor in several years.

Cajun

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
770 Posts
Dish soap foams...it's also a lousy surfactant for the intended purpose.

Same holds for adding Diesel. It's an oil mixed with water based tank mix. Take a guess what the diesel does in the tank, and in any droplets.

Helena, Miller, Loveland, Wilbur-Ellis all produce and sell proper Surfactants that are as cheap or cheaper than dish soap, and designed to be neutral with tank chemistry. Most Dish soaps have some sort of Ammonia in them, and other stuff,that may or may not neutralize the expensive herbicide you are using....you don't know, nobody does, because it's X Brand dish soap, and not tested as a Surfactant in that capacity.

On the homeowner side of things, Bonide and a few others, sell dedicated Surfactants in smaller amounts for the Lawn warrior crowd. TSC has their own house brand on their shelves, as does Rural king.
If you have an Ag chem supplier nearby, it's even cheaper. A good spreader/sticker like Miller Nufilm 17 will work better than anything else at a pint per 100 Gallons, and be rain fast in an hour. It's rare a homeowner would need anything but a good surfactant though, as Glyphosate and 2,4,D uptake is usually sufficient after an hour anyway.

If you want to make Glyphosate "Hotter", focus on tying up the calcium and other minerals in your water, so it doesn't tie up the glyphosate.
Ammonium sulphate at 17lbs per 100 Gallons, or a dedicated water conditioner like Bronc Max, that does the same.

Amazon.com : Bonide 097 Turbo Spreader Sticker 8 oz. : Lawn And Garden Spreaders : Patio, Lawn & Garden

R-56®

SUPER SPREAD® 90

Dyne-Amic*|*Helena Chemical

BRONC® MAX

SPREADER 90 | Loveland Products

Nu Film 17 Sticking-Extending Adjuvant

·
Registered
770 Posts
Used to use "Razor" which was a generic Roundup, was about half the price of a 2.5 gallon jug of Roundup.
Than the local distributor went up to $20 under the price of Roundup, so I said the heck with that and went to
Roundup rain proof, lots less worrying about the weather for just $20 bucks more.

2.5 gallons usually will last me a year, haven't checked on the price of Razor in several years.

Cajun
cajun,

GOOD Generics with surfactant, are running 12-14 bucks a gallon in bulk, and 15-18 bucks a gallon in the 2.5.

The "Rain Proof" aspect of Round up, is simply the addition of a sticker. If it's not going to rain in a couple hours or so, you don't need it.
If it's above 65F, the weeds are gonna get dead from what they take up, before the droplets dry.;)

Shop around a bit. Round up has come down quite a bit to compete with the off patent Generics, and they compete on their guarantee with the RR genetics. The off patent generic Gly, should be cheaper than just 20 bucks per 2.5 unless the dealer is pushing Power Max etc. for his Row crop customers.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
cajun,

GOOD Generics with surfactant, are running 12-14 bucks a gallon in bulk, and 15-18 bucks a gallon in the 2.5.

The "Rain Proof" aspect of Round up, is simply the addition of a sticker. If it's not going to rain in a couple hours or so, you don't need it.
If it's above 65F, the weeds are gonna get dead from what they take up, before the droplets dry.;)

Shop around a bit. Round up has come down quite a bit to compete with the off patent Generics, and they compete on their guarantee with the RR genetics. The off patent generic Gly, should be cheaper than just 20 bucks per 2.5 unless the dealer is pushing Power Max etc. for his Row crop customers.
Think I paid $120 for the last 2 1/2 gallon of "rainproof in an hour" I bought at Helena.
The trouble down here is we can have a thunderstorm spring up quick being next to the gulf.
Also noticed that Roundup concentrate is 50% gly while the off brands are usually in the 40's% gly.

The other distributor in town was charging around $60 for Razor, than he jacked it up to $70 and
the last time he was at $100.
Said it was because China was buying so much of it, I didn't buy that explanation at all.

That was several years ago, never went back to him.

Reactions: Dingeryote

·
Registered
770 Posts
Think I paid $120 for the last 2 1/2 gallon of "rainproof in an hour" I bought at Helena.
The trouble down here is we can have a thunderstorm spring up quick being next to the gulf.
Also noticed that Roundup concentrate is 50% gly while the off brands are usually in the 40's% gly.

The other distributor in town was charging around $60 for Razor, than he jacked it up to $70 and
the last time he was at $100.
Said it was because China was buying so much of it, I didn't buy that explanation at all.

That was several years ago, never went back to him.
Yeah, most of the Generics are 41%, the same as regular Round up.

We get the same goofy, outta nowhere, sun shining, pop up rains coming off the lake.
It's maddening when you just put on 60 bucks an acre Systemic Fungicide that has a limited number of applications per season, and all of a sudden it starts raining.:nunu:

If you shop around, Rural King and TSC have generic 41% Gly at around 45 bucks per 2.5. Adding a good sticker, makes them rain fast within 10-15min depending on humidiity, if rain is a worry.

120 bucks for powermax is steep!! Wow!!

·
Registered
4,298 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,834 Posts
120 bucks for powermax is steep!! Wow!!
I know the big Ag farmers get it a lot cheaper than that, the farmer who farms my land, said
he would get me whatever I needed at a lot less or just give it to me.

Never did bother him about that since I only use 2.5 gallons a year, besides he digs
my non-farmland ditches for free once a year with his ditching machine.
I make him take a case of his favorite (Coors, ???) for his trouble.:lol:

Cajun

1 - 17 of 17 Posts