Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 87 jd sx95 that for the life of me i can't get to running. previous owner said it would act up occasionally so he bought a new key switch for it. what he didn't tell me was that it looks like he may have been tapping on the starter with a hammer or something. nothing too hard but there are little dings on it here and there and he did make some reference about the starter that i don't recall. i have done every test in the manual a couple of times but all i can get out of it is a faint clicking of the solenoid. the original solenoid was on the iffy side so i got a nos one that bench tested great. mounted to the starter they both test good. can the starter still be bad even when it turns like crazy on the bench? i have turned the flywheel slightly in case there was a flat or dead spot on it but still not it. the only thing i haven't done is no-load test the starter because i don't have the equipment. all the other switches etc., have checked out as being good. i'm pulling 12 at the key terminal on the solenoid. any rabbits you could pull out of your hats for me?

thanks, steve

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
You need to clean the battery terminals.

·
Super Moderator
2,281 Posts
i have an 87 jd sx95 that for the life of me i can't get to running. previous owner said it would act up occasionally so he bought a new key switch for it. what he didn't tell me was that it looks like he may have been tapping on the starter with a hammer or something. nothing too hard but there are little dings on it here and there and he did make some reference about the starter that i don't recall. i have done every test in the manual a couple of times but all i can get out of it is a faint clicking of the solenoid. the original solenoid was on the iffy side so i got a nos one that bench tested great. mounted to the starter they both test good. can the starter still be bad even when it turns like crazy on the bench? i have turned the flywheel slightly in case there was a flat or dead spot on it but still not it. the only thing i haven't done is no-load test the starter because i don't have the equipment. all the other switches etc., have checked out as being good. i'm pulling 12 at the key terminal on the solenoid. any rabbits you could pull out of your hats for me?

thanks, steve
Yes. I remember my first car (100 yrs ago :laugh:) had a starter problem. Worked fine on the bench....threw the Bendix (starter drive) out fine and spun easily and fast, but wouldn't throw the bendix if it was in the car. Replaced the starter and all was well.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Clean battery cables on each end, both positive and ground.
Look for evidence of hot or corroded spots on the cables.
Often on damaged cables or corroded connections only a small amount of current can pass through the wire, such as enough to engage the solenoid, but not enough current to rotate the starter motor.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Deere added a "starter improvement kit" on the Onans in the mid/late 80s due to issues with the wiring. Corrosion? Incorrect size? Strange aging magic? No idea what the actual issue was, but it solved it.
The problem it solved was very similar to yours.
Good components, but the starter wouldnt engage with the key switch.
I had a mower that I got cheap, and I thought Id fix it and sell it. It was a 165 with the Kawasaki single 14hp I believe. The starter was acting up like your previous owner described. Worked sometimes, but not always.

I made my own starter improvement kit, and it worked like a charm after that.

Generally, its the trigger wire that is causing the issue.
The kit is just a relay, using the original trigger wire to actuate the relay.
The heavy gauge wire to the starter is left alone. Its rarely the problem.
You can actually test this by running a jumper from that wire to the small terminal where the small gauge wire is attached (remove that wire first).
If that works, then you know what to do.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Deere added a "starter improvement kit" on the Onans in the mid/late 80s due to issues with the wiring. Corrosion? Incorrect size? Strange aging magic? No idea what the actual issue was, but it solved it.
I had a mower that I got cheap, and I thought Id fix it and sell it. It was a 165 with the Kawasaki single 14hp I believe. The starter was acting up like your previous owner described. Worked sometimes, but not always.

You can actually test this by running a jumper from that wire to the small terminal where the small gauge wire is attached (remove that wire first).
AM107421 is the part number for the starter improvement kit.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
AM107421 is the part number for the starter improvement kit.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Thats the one. Looks like it fits a LOT of different tractors now (been a while since Ive looked at it). Well, it probably did before, they just updated the list as they went along.

In my case, I had the relays, wire and connectors on hand, so mine was free. $40+ is a lot to pay for a $5 relay and some connectors.
These are fairly easy to make if you know how to use a crimper for the connectors.

If you prefer a more factory look, you can always find a relay with an attached block with wires, or just buy the one Deere has if the price doesnt scare you.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Clean the posts and terminals. I discovered the other day that the cables themselves had corrosion in them. It went quite a way up the cable. I saw it in the ground and replaced that. Need a new posi cable also.Replacing the ground helped the intermittent starting issue. Look at the cheaper repairs first. If parts don't need replacing at least you know they checked out OK and are good to go.

·
Premium Member
7,721 Posts

thanks, steve
Many years ago a girl friend called. She was stranded her car would not crank. I tried jump starting it, nothing. Then I crawled under it and hit the starter with a hammer. It then started. I told her that was not a fix, get the starter replaced.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Jim is correct that the starter improvement kit is a good thing to do for the little rear engined riders since they use a solenoid-shift style of starter (the solenoid both operates the starter pinion engagement AND closes the high current contacts...)

In the thread above I did not hear any mention of the solenoid even clicking when you turn the key, so check all the circuit to the solenoid coil in addition to the key switch itself (safety switches, etc...) Verify that the PTO switch is turned off and that the transmission is in Neutral and that both these switches are working correctly.

Here is the closest wiring diagram I have to the subject tractor on this thread:

SX75 Wiring.JPG

Chuck

...by the way, here is the simple wiring of the improvement relay application, and I too have made my own out of locally available relays from the auto parts stores. Surplus Center has them with sockets and pigtail wires for under $5 -- but you need to be ordering other things as well to get past the cost of shipping making it more than double that...

starter improvement kit schematic.JPG

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
One thing every shade tree mechanic should have is a heavy duty push button switch with two heavy wires with alligator clips on the ends. Put one on the positive battery terminal and one on the positive terminal on the starter solenoid.hit the button and see if it cranks , that will eliminate a lot of potential problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re: wit's end

the cables and wires look in good shape and i can't see any corrosion either.

i jumped the key switch terminal on the solenoid to the positive post of the battery and the solenoid worked strongly. it even turned the motor over a little. not with enough power or speed to start it though. strangely it did nothing when i removed the purple key switch wire and jumped it straight from the other end of the positive wire, the one connected to the hot lead on the solenoid itself. is either of these the results i should be looking to get?

i reconnected the purple wire to the solenoid and disconnected the entire key switch assembly. i ran a jumper from the purple key switch connector straight to the battery and while it didn't turn the motor at all i got the strongest hitting of the solenoid to the flywheel so far.

isn't the jd "fix" just the relay that is already there? or is it inserted somewhere else into the circuit?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would like to add to MDREW's suggestion. Remove the battery cables completely and check each terminal end for tightness. Look under the insulation for any hint of corrosion. If you don't see bright copper or a terminal end is not tight, broken solder joint, or poor crimp, replace it. Shouldn't cost much and is somewhat preventative maintenance.
If the ground cable does not bolt directly to the engine make sure to check for a chasis to engine ground. I'm am not familiar with the SX95, but looking at JDParts, I can only guess the ground wire does go to the engine block . Maybe one of the engine mounting bolts?
Hang in there, you'll get it.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
It’s a common sx/rx issue. I’ve never successfully fixed it, but best I can tell it’s related to the neutral switch. I’ve never had it leave me stranded, just frustrated.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
the cables and wires look in good shape and i can't see any corrosion either.

i jumped the key switch terminal on the solenoid to the positive post of the battery and the solenoid worked strongly. it even turned the motor over a little. not with enough power or speed to start it though. strangely it did nothing when i removed the purple key switch wire and jumped it straight from the other end of the positive wire, the one connected to the hot lead on the solenoid itself. is either of these the results i should be looking to get?

i reconnected the purple wire to the solenoid and disconnected the entire key switch assembly. i ran a jumper from the purple key switch connector straight to the battery and while it didn't turn the motor at all i got the strongest hitting of the solenoid to the flywheel so far.

isn't the jd "fix" just the relay that is already there? or is it inserted somewhere else into the circuit?

No, its an actual relay, wired near the starter itself.
Now, if you have that already, then maybe it is already there, but it is not original from Deere.
You will know because on that purple lead wire, it will go from the starter itself back to a relay and from there back to the key switch. That relay will also have two other wires. One to ground (or two), and one to the hot side of the battery.

From your result, it sounds like you need to clean the battery terminals, both the battery itself, and the cable connector, and possibly replace the battery cables if that doesnt work.

One minor qualification on all this is that it is very hard to diagnose over the web. Whats suggested may or may not fully address your issue.

·
Registered
421 Posts

thanks, steve

Many years ago...approx. 26 yrs I own a SX80 which did the same things you mention above. I found there is a small flat metal object that is wired into the wiring coming from the stator, etc. It is attached to the side of the engine and the tractor will start and die afire couple seconds. This little devil is called... Igniter In the schematic drawing you will see it. If my memory serves me correctly, its cost about $7.00

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok, first of all, i want to thank all my deere deere friends for all your help and answers. after thoroughly going through each and every test in the tech manual i ended up by making that relay connector jd issued as an upgrade. pretty simple to make actually. once it was connected the motor turned over like a brand new machine!!! success at last :) or so i thought. after replacing all the part removed during the surgery, checking the oil and then adding gas, all i'm getting is the solenoid hitting really loud but no starter motor movement. i'm much better than i was but then again... i even tried tapping on the starter itself, something i don't like to do but...

so once more, any ideas???

thanks again, steve

and not only that, i'm out of cigars!!! lol

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
ok, first of all, i want to thank all my deere deere friends for all your help and answers. after thoroughly going through each and every test in the tech manual i ended up by making that relay connector jd issued as an upgrade. pretty simple to make actually. once it was connected the motor turned over like a brand new machine!!! success at last :) or so i thought. after replacing all the part removed during the surgery, checking the oil and then adding gas, all i'm getting is the solenoid hitting really loud but no starter motor movement. i'm much better than i was but then again... i even tried tapping on the starter itself, something i don't like to do but...

so once more, any ideas???

thanks again, steve

and not only that, i'm out of cigars!!! lol
Hold the key on for a few seconds and see how hot the motor gets. If its really hot, its most likely bad.

Not responsible for burns:laugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts