Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great feeling to now be "free and clear" owner of my 1026R and X310 I purchased in 2012 with John Deere's fabulous 0/60 deal. At the time, I thought the purchase was a bit excessive, since I "only" have 3 plus acres to tend - lawn and a 2-acre largely wooded tract thick with briars and other brush. But not once was I sorry because even though I'm a "senior citizen" with a bum shoulder, I was able to almost completely clear the back lot and keep the wild grasses neatly trimmed. As for the X310, with power steering, hydraulic deck lift and twin MCS bags, keeping the lawn looking great was a breeze -- especially on one of the properties with lots of nooks and crannies. This year I added a front mounted snowblower, although I didn't get to use it much. All of this equipment was garage kept, and carefully maintained. As a former broadcast TV engineer, I like everything to be working as intended -- with no surprises. And (knock on wood) my maintenance issues were very minor over the years, and I was able to take care of most of them thanks to the GREAT advice I received from folks on this forum! Of course, I have less than 300 hours on both tractors, which I know is just about broken in.
I love my John Deere equipment, and wear my hat with a great deal of pride. I also know when the time comes --in a couple of more years -- when my bride and I have to scale down as we find it more difficult to do the heavy work ourselves, I know we will recover much of our initial investment. Heck, when we built our new house, guys wanted $300 just to knock down the grass on the back 2 acres with a brush hog. The way I saw it, I gave that $300 to John Deere financial and got A LOT more for my money. Thanks to everyone for the advice and looking forward, God willing, to 5 more years of fun --sorry, I mean "seat time" working the yard. :yahoo:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,873 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Glad things are going well for you. Enjoy your equipment they look like new still. You do a good job taking care of them. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,685 Posts
Nice! You can do a mini Dave Ramsey debt free scream:yahoo:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

My dad was a man of few words. But he told me the right tool made any job almost fun. And if you took good care of your tools, they would never let you down. I still get a huge thrill every time I fire up that Yanmar diesel, and, of course, I think of my dad. What I wouldn't give for five more minutes of his wisdom....

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
You take excellent care of your equipment!

Reactions: Levi and OxPath

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nothing like having things paid for. As another member referenced Dave Ramsey, he also said that you will get better fuel mileage as you are not pulling the payment book behind you,:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
778 Posts
My only regret is not buying my little TLB 15 yrs ago.
This thing has almost paid for itself since I bought it used two yrs ago. We bought a used house- first rain- water in the crawl space. Backfilled the foundation, graded, trenched and installed 300 feet of gutter runoff pipe. Was given an estimate of 4000$ to have it done. Did it in a couple of weekends.
Then the water line from the well to the house busted in the dead of Winter- Last house this cost 2000$ . Several hours later on the backhoe and 100$ worth of pipe- new line.
Same stuff over and over - grading, moving stone, materials, lumber, downed trees, plowing 750' driveway, plowing the neighbor out, planting trees. etc... Now this money goes to the grandkids college fund! :greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts
My only regret is not buying my little TLB 15 yrs ago.
This thing has almost paid for itself since I bought it used two yrs ago. We bought a used house- first rain- water in the crawl space. Backfilled the foundation, graded, trenched and installed 300 feet of gutter runoff pipe. Was given an estimate of 4000$ to have it done. Did it in a couple of weekends.
Then the water line from the well to the house busted in the dead of Winter- Last house this cost 2000$ . Several hours later on the backhoe and 100$ worth of pipe- new line.
Same stuff over and over - grading, moving stone, materials, lumber, downed trees, plowing 750' driveway, plowing the neighbor out, planting trees. etc... Now this money goes to the grandkids college fund! :greentractorride:
:thumbup1gif:And in the end (if taken care of) the tractor is going to be worth damn near what you paid for it. Life is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts