Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The one in the picture is the factory but both the front outer rims are cracked on the 2950 4wd... one is a mismatch wheel that rubs the tie rod I believe I can flip the outside rim so there’s less offset on the center but it’s still a miss match rim. JD wants about 900 for a new rim. I mean... there’s got to be other rims off other years that should fit it, or atleast I’d think so. There’s a 8.75 center 3.5 offset on the inside and 5.5-6 on the outside... I’ll post some pictures. I’m just wondering if I go to a tractor salvage yard later on in the future trying to find parts. I looked at a 3155 and the rims looked like they would’ve fit and were built stronger.... also I finally ordered a owners manual for my tractor so that should make a few of you guys happy lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
My 6415 mfwd has the same size front tires. But my wheel centers are different, four pair of two bolts to the rim and spacers.
My guess is the bolt circle (8 holes around the center hole) of the axle will be standard :dunno:

If you need any measurements LMK

Ebay has a JD 3155 selling parts. Front wheels/tires are shown. You could contact the seller for measurements too.

I can't imagine how the wheels cracked :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir I actually contacted that guy a couple weeks ago and he said his measurements were different. I believe he also wants local pick up.... my tractor had had a lot of rough front loader work... probably shouldn’t have bought it but I couldn’t resist ? clutch still feels good and everything. You should see the shape my bucket is in and the mud dobber welds. I don’t understand it unless they where ramming info things. I’m keeping my eye open for another bucket too... just cut and weld my quick attachments to it.

Probably will need to go on a road trip to collect everything I need.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
If you create a free jdparts account I think you can do a where used search to look for other models that use the same part number.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
What model loader? The bucket that came with my 245 loader is pretty bad, looks like it was used for manure. Seller told me it was not the original bucket. He (used implement dealer) said he sold another loader and the buyer did not like the bucket, so he swapped him the one from the loader I bought :nunu::nunu: and I ended up with a beat up rusted bucket. Good thing the grapple stays on 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
What model loader? The bucket that came with my 245 loader is pretty bad, looks like it was used for manure. Seller told me it was not the original bucket. He (used implement dealer) said he sold another loader and the buyer did not like the bucket, so he swapped him the one from the loader I bought :nunu::nunu: and I ended up with a beat up rusted bucket. Good thing the grapple stays on 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Yes sir I actually contacted that guy a couple weeks ago and he said his measurements were different. I believe he also wants local pick up.... my tractor had had a lot of rough front loader work... probably shouldn’t have bought it but I couldn’t resist ? clutch still feels good and everything. You should see the shape my bucket is in and the mud dobber welds. I don’t understand it unless they where ramming info things. I’m keeping my eye open for another bucket too... just cut and weld my quick attachments to it.

Both 2950 AND 3155 list the same P/N for the wheel center L34321. Maybe the guy did not want to take any measurements?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It’s a 260 loader, I’m listing a link I found, if you find another bucket you can just weld this quick attachments to it but I bet the grapple it so nice. If I had a grapple I’d have my fence line completely cleaned of under brush. Lol I bet my bucket is in worse shape then yours, it really looks like it hit a tree going full speed maybe broke in the center then a kid welded grader blades all around it ?... but... it scoops big loads of dirt compared to my 5055 tractor with economy bucket.

Also I was thinking the same thing, the guy didn’t feel like measuring. Because I looked up specs and it said my tractor came with either 24 or 28s on the front, all he saw was 24 and 28, I definitely don’t mind some 28s. I’ve seen a 2950 that had a completely different center rim star pattern then mine so i just knew others would fit. Thanks for that link TX and Rydplrs I’ll check into it, It definitely helps broaden the search.

And dang it, the owners manual I ordered came in today was just for the front end assembly. I thought the sells title “4wd tractor 2950” would be complete tractor... little disappointed ? I need to learn how this big machine functions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
It’s a 260 loader, I’m listing a link I found, if you find another bucket you can just weld this quick attachments to it but I bet the grapple it so nice. If I had a grapple I’d have my fence line completely cleaned of under brush. Lol I bet my bucket is in worse shape then yours, it really looks like it hit a tree going full speed maybe broke in the center then a kid welded grader blades all around it ?... but... it scoops big loads of dirt compared to my 5055 tractor with economy bucket.

Also I was thinking the same thing, the guy didn’t feel like measuring. Because I looked up specs and it said my tractor came with either 24 or 28s on the front, all he saw was 24 and 28, I definitely don’t mind some 28s. I’ve seen a 2950 that had a completely different center rim star pattern then mine so i just knew others would fit. Thanks for that link TX and Rydplrs I’ll check into it, It definitely helps broaden the search.

And dang it, the owners manual I ordered came in today was just for the front end assembly. I thought the sells title “4wd tractor 2950” would be complete tractor... little disappointed ? I need to learn how this big machine functions.
You have a larger version of the loader I have, mine is the 245. I have not tried to find a new bucket, it might be hard now do to the age of the loader. Yours has the same independent valve mine has too. I like how easy they are to take on and off.

Parts shows three different wheel centers and rims in both 24" and 28" I am not sure why.

You do NOT want to change from 24" tires to 28" tires. That would have the front axle out pulling the rear by TOO MUCH and would damage the transmission.

You might want to contact the ebay seller again and price the front wheels. U-ship would be an option for shipping.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts

You might want to add your location to your profile

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, ya that makes since 28s would mess with the tires rotation. I was wondering, one day within the next year or 2 I’m going to need new rear tires. Is there a particular brand that’s bang for the buck? For vehicles I always order my tires online the. Take them to get mounted. Some tractor tires I’ve seen get bubbles on the side. Seems like Firestone’s are pretty cheap around 1000 but I haven’t been a fan of Firestone since they made a bad batch and had all those blow outs and recalls several years back.

Added my location.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
In your first post you mentioned you want to flip one center because of interference with a tie rod end. One thing to keep in mind is John Deere specs a maximum front tread width when a loader is used. About 71" IIRC

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In your first post you mentioned you want to flip one center because of interference with a tie rod end. One thing to keep in mind is John Deere specs a maximum front tread width when a loader is used. About 71" IIRC
Not the center, the outer rim that bolts to the center so there’s 3.5 inches on the inside and not 5.5 like the factory in the picture. I believe they mounted the tire wrong and just went with it or the wheel wasn’t compatible, the valve stem is on the outside of the rim so they probably just made it work. There’s a lot of welding on it. Either way... it would make it the same as the factory wheel and wouldn’t rub if I flipped the tire. Both outer rims are cracked pretty bad though, only reason they hold air is because of tubes. Need new rims. I tried the tractor parts search but several numbers came up. I guess all their parts number may be compatible? I’ll find a tractor salvage yard to go to one day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Oops! I should have reread the first post, wheel, not center, rubbing the tie rod :hide:

I would probably turn it around just to stop the rubbing, but as bad as the wheels are, I would not waste my time/effort changing the tire direction on the wheel.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Oops! I should have reread the first post, wheel, not center, rubbing the tie rod :hide:

I would probably turn it around just to stop the rubbing, but as bad as the wheels are, I would not waste my time/effort changing the tire direction on the wheel.
For changing wheel tread width one could switch both tires/wheels from one side to the other without changing tread direction of travel

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Replacement rims

If you can't find used replacement rims I would check with Unverferth Replacement Wheels - Unverferth Wheel Products before I paid JD :gizmo:. Odds are fairly good they are a Unverferth rim anyway.

As far as replacement rear tires, in our area BKT and CEAT are pushing the name brand tires. CEAT is a little less expensive than the BKT but reports from users are really good on traction and tread life. They are both made in India but then most tires are made in India, Thailand, Vietnam or China these days. Ironically I was talking with a tire dealer last week who was trash talking Michelin Ag tires which are about the most expensive. He said he replaced a lot of them because the lugs would crack off at the shoulder.

I don't know if you can find CEAT in your area, they are still building a distribution network but reports I get from users are very positive. BKT has been in the US much longer and may be easier to find. They are a good alternative to the higher priced tires.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
For changing wheel tread width one could switch both tires/wheels from one side to the other without changing tread direction of travel
Normally what you posted is correct, but this is a case of the wheels to centers being different side to side. One has the wide part of the wheel inboard the other has the wide part of the wheel outboard. If you look at the pictures, the wheels are mounted on the centers differently. Changing one to match the other (way it mounts to center) will have one tire going the opposite way of the other tire. Some one put one tire on backwards when mounting OR they bought a used replacement wheel/tire and did not change mounting direction of the tire.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oops! I should have reread the first post, wheel, not center, rubbing the tie rod

The fella mentioned before on eBay said he would’ve sold me his wheels for 350 tires and all but being 28s he said they would mess something up like zebra five said.

TX have you heard about a salvage yard in Texas called Abilene machine? The ebayer recommended it to me.

One question if you guys may know how to fix this. The center pivot for the front axle has taken its toll on the.. hell I guess the frame. Seems like I’ve seen this before on other tractors. To be honest after buying all the AC stuff that I still haven’t managed to fix (waiting on my gauges) I’m about tapped out on funds. Here’s a picture of the pivot point.

Ordered the wrong dang owners manual, ended up being for the 4wd axle and not the complete 4wd TRACTOR

I’ll look into those rear tires but until I get the AC going to give me some hope. I’m tapped out for now. It’s like riding in a green house.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts