Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 3520 cab tractor which still looks brand new witho over 1000 hard hours. Was tossing around the idea of upgrading to the bigger 4 series. It was until i sat in a new one and siad to my self, "dam", this thing is the same as it was for 15 years now since they came out with the 3 series cab. Thats kinda piss poor imo. And to ad, the loader cables are still operated by the use of cables to the valve body. I hate that. Why do they not have the loader controls electronic over hydraulic? That setup does not cost much at all for added costs. SO yeah, the same damn cab for over 15 years and still same crappy loader cable controls is piss poor on john deere. When can we see a complete make over. ITs been long enough.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have a 2010 3520 cab tractor which still looks brand new witho over 1000 hard hours. Was tossing around the idea of upgrading to the bigger 4 series. It was until i sat in a new one and siad to my self, "dam", this thing is the same as it was for 15 years now since they came out with the 3 series cab. Thats kinda piss poor imo. And to ad, the loader cables are still operated by the use of cables to the valve body. I hate that. Why do they not have the loader controls electronic over hydraulic? That setup does not cost much at all for added costs. SO yeah, the same damn cab for over 15 years and still same crappy loader cable controls is piss poor on john deere. When can we see a complete make over. ITs been long enough.
drove thru the local dealers lot ....40-50 tractors.........not a single 3-4 series cab unit on the lot ......might have something to do with being slow to redesign ...

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I agree, Deere could use an updated 3R/4R series cab tractor. But in light of all the global production issues of past year.
I suspect any updates are likely pushed back on the timing. Plus who knows with this hyper inflation period we are in economically right now, by th time we get an updated 3R/4R cab tractor, it will likely cost as much or more then today’s 5 series machines.Which todays 5 series have much nicer cabs than the 3R/4R cabs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was hoping for some updates to the open station 3R, was thinking maybe the lack of a 320R MSL option was a hint of something to come but who knows. The whole global supply chain is screwy. As for electric over hydraulic it's not like they can't do it, just one more way that sometimes Europe gets the toys.

3R eSCV option
Font Gadget Audio equipment Electronic instrument Multimedia

4R eSCV option
Output device Camera accessory Audio equipment Cameras & optics Font

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I am OK with the cab itself, but my one complaint with my 4066R is the loader joystick. It definitely needs upgraded.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree with Shortthrow50. Electric valves have been around a long time now. An added plus is that once they're in the electric realm, you can do all kinds of additional control with them like swapping scv assignments, flow control min/max settings, remote / wireless control, directional swapping, etc ...... They already do that for backhoe and excavator control patterns.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Definitely need a joystick redesign. Trying to be precise when running the dump circuit of the bucket with a heavy load sometimes requires 2 hands. It’s ridiculous.

Rick

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah, I think Deere would save money in the time it takes to install and possibly rig the cable version of the mid-SCV. EHSCV should be much faster to install. I agree with all, that the cab version of the mid-SCV is terrible, especially after running a few mini-excavator's with the EH control feature.

Jeff

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with many of the posters here. I just have this feeling that if Deere offered the electric selective control valve at an expensive price that many of us would buy it. Since the lucky folks from Europe get this option on the tractors going down the same assembly line how hard can it be to add it for we "Mericans". Perhaps it slows down the production line over the current cable system but I just have to believe that many would factor an expensive hydraulic option into the payment and move on. I just have this feeling.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree with many of the posters here. I just have this feeling that if Deere offered the electric selective control valve at an expensive price that many of us would buy it. Since the lucky folks from Europe get this option on the tractors going down the same assembly line how hard can it be to add it for we "Mericans". Perhaps it slows down the production line over the current cable system but I just have to believe that many would factor an expensive hydraulic option into the payment and move on. I just have this feeling.
BINGO!!

I would even consider it as a retrofit. That is what they really need to do. If they offer it during a redesign, it should have the same footprint as the existing 3R cab SCV. Tap into existing wire harness somewhere for 12V power with some sort of "T" adaptor; Done!

Deere are you listening??

I would say if it were offered at $1500 or less as a retrofit, they would have 1000's of takers. Hell, I spent that much to divert the mid-SCV's to the rear for 4th and 5th on my 3R.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
While we're making up our list of demands, I'd like a 3R rear axle stout enough that they won't shy away from using spacers. Max rear axle load spec on a 3R is almost the same as a large 2R.
While I would agree with you, on that they should do something about that ridicules' (made up issue IMO) that Deere has with 3 series and spacers, when out of all the 1,2,3,4, series families the 3 IMO needs them the most.

As many have done myself included, simply just ignore Deere's recommendation against them on a 3R.

Which you have brought up something there that IMO proves my point.

Deere in fact offers or sells spacers for the large frame 2 and the 4 Series, they use to offer them for the 3 series as well.

Which that sort of thing has a lot to do with the reason I still call BS on the 3R anti spacer position from Deere.

Reactions: alpha&omega

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Have you checked to see what material the rear axle is made of on the large frame 2 series? Maybe it is cast iron like the 4 series. Whereas the 3 series is aluminum. If mother Deere won't support it, don't do it. Mother Deere knows best.

Dave

Reactions: arlen

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Have you checked to see what material the rear axle is made of on the large frame 2 series? Maybe it is cast iron like the 4 series. Whereas the 3 series is aluminum. If mother Deere won't support it, don't do it. Mother Deere knows best.

Dave
I don't have a large frame 2R or a 3R anymore. I did put Deere spacers on my 2038R and aftermarket spacers on both the cab 3Rs I had owned regardless of what Deere recommend, IMO they are terribly unstable without spacers and I would gladly trade buying an axle, that is if it were really ever an issue, which I highly doubt it is, as apposed to a potential costly rollover accident or worse a permanent dirt nap from an accident.
If some owners on here, have some magnets they could easily check and tell us if steel or aluminum.

Reactions: EmmtBot

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i w
I was hoping for some updates to the open station 3R, was thinking maybe the lack of a 320R MSL option was a hint of something to come but who knows. The whole global supply chain is screwy. As for electric over hydraulic it's not like they can't do it, just one more way that sometimes Europe gets the toys.

3R eSCV option
View attachment 783663

4R eSCV option
View attachment 783664
wow. would without a doubt drop 2 grand for that option. without even thinking about it. I hate the stiff loader cable controlsin my cab.. So much so, i cut the old stick and welded a 6inch extension on to give leverage and make easier

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Just my opinion, but I can not fathom why anyone who wants a reliable tractor would want electronic controls for the hydraulics instead of something mechanical like cables. Or electronic ANYTHING over mechanical for that matter.
I'll keep my crude mechanical parts and be able to rely on it working when I need it.
Just my personal opinion.

Reactions: lindsey97

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Just my opinion, but I can not fathom why anyone who wants a reliable tractor would want electronic controls for the hydraulics instead of something mechanical like cables. Or electronic ANYTHING over mechanical for that matter.
I'll keep my crude mechanical parts and be able to rely on it working when I need it.
Just my personal opinion.
I Understand your point, but the best way I can explain the counterpoint is to compare the operation comfort of modern skid steers with electronic joysticks and buttons to the old school levers and pedals.
Furthermore, cab isolation is much better using fly by wire.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts