Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the woodmaxx tm-86 chipper for the 1025r FILB.
Any advice, suggestions, thoughts or input would be very much appreciated.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
Get an extra set of blades with it if you plan to do a lot of chipping. I never liked to chip with a dull blade and no extra one to replace it with in my case. From what I hear woodmaxx is a good chipper, wish I had one. I have the DR I bought back in '03. Good luck. :bigthumb:
There are some threads on here you might want to look up and read.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. I do plan on getting the "kit" which has extra blades. But they have two different kit/blade types and two different PTO shafts.
Any information on the practical differences in these options?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also if I may ask another related question.
What are some good uses of wood chips? I have a couple thoughts but I'm sure there are a good number of ideas out there.
Anyone have ideas....Even if they seem obvious. Thanks

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Thank you for the information. I do plan on getting the "kit" which has extra blades. But they have two different kit/blade types and two different PTO shafts.
Any information on the practical differences in these options?
Are you planning to do a lot of chipping? The knives are probably reversible, dual edge and can be resharpened.

Untitled.png

Reactions: Levi

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Don't forget hearing protection.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have had my Woodmax for a month now and am very pleased with it in every regard. It is well suited for the 1025R which has enough PTO power to chip 4"-5"+ limbs in my experience. It operates smoothly if noisily so wear ear plugs!

This chipper will swallow whatever you stick in its maw and spit out the chips without missing a beat or slowing IF the knives are sharp. Dull knives tend to shred the wood and the PTO will bog down.

The fit and finish on the unit are really first class and everything about it is quality. For the price, this is one great chipper in my opinion. I got one in Kabota Orange just because I was too impatient to wait 2 weeks for the JD green to come in. I really like the contrast of Orange and Green now that I have it.

It has 4 knives on the chipper wheel which are easily accessible for removal/sharpening/inverting. Each blade has two functional edges and can be sharpened by owner if you feel confident.

Note that the hydraulics run on 5 gallons of 5w40 MOTOR OIL and not hydraulic fluid!

I recommend this chipper without reservation for the 1025R.

The only advice I have for wood chip use is to avoid using hemlock chips in the garden due to extreme high acid content.

BTW: I am born and raised a Michigander and miss it very much.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good advice Gizmo about hearing protection. I feel odd wearing a seat belt on the tractor with the Rops brushing up against the clouds, but I always use them. I need to get me some ear muff type hearing protection.

Fishbait, that is a very persuasive review. I appreciate your taking the time to write it out for me and hopefully others. It goes a long way towards my decision especially from a Michigander.
I really enjoy northern Michigan, I like cooler weather and deep woods.

·
Registered
407 Posts
...<snip>...
I really enjoy northern Michigan, I like cooler weather and deep woods.
Me too. I now live on a mountaintop in the woods in the Catskill Mountains. This part of the country has a certain beauty but cannot compare with Northern Michigan and the Great Lakes! And, they have no Vernors anywhere! They never heard of it!

Regarding the Woodmax, I'm sure you realize that this is not a commercial size chipper and has its limitations. But, compared to stand alone yard chipper/shredders, this unit is a monster! Just start slow and small and experiment your way to finding the upper limit. I think you will be very pleased with what this unit can handle.

The hydraulic feed is really neat and gives you hands off feeding which enhances safety as well as efficiency. When the feed wheel grabs the wood it continues to suck it in to the chipper wheel with no help required from you. It is actually fun to use!

Keep blades sharp and avoid wood covered in dirt or mud that will quickly dull the blades.

Good luck and GO TIGERS!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fishbait,
How can it be that they've never heard of Vernors? Don't even tell me that they have no Koegel hotdogs.
I'll be using the woodmaxx quite a bit but in a more slow and steady personal use way. I'm never in a hurry when I'm out in the woods where I love to be. This year I'll be putting the woodmaxx to the test because the power company cleared their electric lines. About every 20 years they contract a tree cutting service to clear under the electric lines. I've got a huge mess right now.
And I agree.... Go Tigers!!!!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Vinson Scott. Let us know what you think of it.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Don't forget hearing protection.
x2 on the hearing protection.

I was wearing my shooting range ear muffs and a pair of safety glasses with my Bearcat chipper. After a while I bought a Stihl Forestry Helmet with the built in ear muffs and face shield. I still use the safety glasses with the helmet and the face shield. I actually find that it's more comfortable than my shooting range protection and I tend to sweat a lot less too.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
x2 on the hearing protection.

I was wearing my shooting range ear muffs and a pair of safety glasses with my Bearcat chipper. After a while I bought a Stihl Forestry Helmet with the built in ear muffs and face shield. I still use the safety glasses with the helmet and the face shield. I actually find that it's more comfortable than my shooting range protection and I tend to sweat a lot less too.
:thumbup1gif: A test run, when I got mine...:lol:

Helmet (2).JPG

·
Registered
407 Posts
I always wear my Husky helmet/ear muff/face shield along with eye protection when chipping.

Good luck with your Woodmax! Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looks like you decided to buy the Woodmax. If you are not aware of it, Woodmax offers a 5% discount for veterans if that applies to you.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Looks like you decided to buy the Woodmax. If you are not aware of it, Woodmax offers a 5% discount for veterans if that applies to you.
:good2:Good one!

·
Registered
223 Posts
A user on this forum (I believe) created a video on youtube as well - might be worth the search. For hearing protection I love the 3M worktunes. You don't necessarily need to listen to anything but its a nice feature to have for doing other tasks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts