Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering a wood chipper for my 1025R. The Wallenstein looks good but I have also been attracted to the WoodMaxx TM86H.

It is designed for the 1 series size tractor and has a hydraulic adjustable feed that is independent of the tractor. The price is reasonable.

Anybody have a WoodMaxx chipper?

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks really cool! Let us know how it works if you get one. Seems they make some quality products.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like it,wonder if I could "demo" that for about a week!

Reactions: rtgt

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Been considering a wood chipper for my 1025R. The Wallenstein looks good but I have also been attracted to the WoodMaxx TM86H.

It is designed for the 1 series size tractor and has a hydraulic adjustable feed that is independent of the tractor. The price is reasonable.

Don't have one but I do like that the hydraulic adjustable feed is independent of the tractor. Price is good too.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
26 Posts
They do look nice. I do have a Wallenstien and it's a great chipper! Only issue is if you have stuff with a lot of small twigs it will plug the discharge chute occasionally. It's not an issue for the stuff I chip. I'm sure the hydraulic feed would be nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to call them tomorrow and have a chat. If I like what I hear I will probably order one. Web site says they are temporarily out of the green ones so I think I'll choose red.

The NorthEastern U.S. has been invaded by the emerald ash borer and the Asian horned beetle. I just cut 12 mature dead or dying ash trees on my property with a dozen or so more soon to be cut. The devastation is wide-spread throughout the North East. Me and my neighbors will have plenty of wood to cut and chip this Spring.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,289 Posts

The best thing you can get with a chipper is the hydraulic adjustable feed, in my opinion. With my DR when you feed things like vines and hands full of small branches you end up having to force feed it. After a day of doing this you will have sore arms and shoulders. And with bigger stuff you end up having to hold it down so it will chip instead of bouncing against the blade/s. I have one blade. The WoodMaxx TM86H has 4. Even though 4 is more money when you have to replace them, it is a good thing. Better feed, better chips. I would gladly trade my DR for this WoodMaxx. One other thing about feeding it by hand is the vibration of the limbs against your bare arms will scratch your arms so much it will make it look like you were in a knife fight.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,289 Posts
Looks good! Glad it works as advertised. :bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
223 Posts
Very neat setup.

The Woodmaxx has a small built-in hydraulic pump, correct? I see reservoir and note the absence of lines going back to the tractor.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Ash trees

I'm going to call them tomorrow and have a chat. If I like what I hear I will probably order one. Web site says they are temporarily out of the green ones so I think I'll choose red.

The NorthEastern U.S. has been invaded by the emerald ash borer and the Asian horned beetle. I just cut 12 mature dead or dying ash trees on my property with a dozen or so more soon to be cut. The devastation is wide-spread throughout the North East. Me and my neighbors will have plenty of wood to cut and chip this Spring.
The loss of ash trees is just a painful thought. I've sawed ash logs just a few times and would happily saw nothing but ash if it was available in our area. It's a great working wood, saws really well and looks great plus it has a good strength to weight ratio. Great firewood as well.

I hope there is a solution to the borer's and beetles. I think they are looking at some biologics for the borer but so far I haven't heard of any real large scale solution. If there is a bright spot, we're getting really close to releasing blight resistant chestnut trees so maybe a solution for the ash problems can be found.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The loss of ash trees is just a painful thought. I've sawed ash logs just a few times and would happily saw nothing but ash if it was available in our area. It's a great working wood, saws really well and looks great plus it has a good strength to weight ratio. Great firewood as well.

I hope there is a solution to the borer's and beetles. I think they are looking at some biologics for the borer but so far I haven't heard of any real large scale solution. If there is a bright spot, we're getting really close to releasing blight resistant chestnut trees so maybe a solution for the ash problems can be found.

Treefarmer
Alas, I think it may be too late to save the ash in the NorthEast. Everywhere I have traveled many stumps can be seen from fresh cut ash being removed by road crews. Infected trees die from the top down and the upper branches become "widow makers" that can be seen scattered along most roads. Tragic, indeed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have ordered the TM86H and it will ship in 3-5 days. I ordered a red one as the green is not available until May.

Was pleasantly surprised when told of a 5% veteran's discount which will almost pay for an extra set of blades.

I've ordered the extra knife blades and the upgraded PTO shaft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Frontier 3.5 Inch Wood Chipper on JD1025R 3 point hitch

I got a Frontier 3.5 inch wood chipper at the same time I got my JD 1025R. You've got to crank the tractor up to high RPM's to use the woodchipper operating off the PTO, but it works great. No stability problems. I've got ten hours or so on my woodchipper so far and no problems. About time to grease it up and sharpen and or reverse the blades. I, too, use my woodchipper for general yard cleanup. I've got enough limbs stacked up to chip right now that will probably take at least another 5 hours of work. It makes quick work of tree limbs up to it's max size.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So for those that have them, what is the advantage of a tractor mounted/powered chipper vs. a self contained unit, besides the obvious of using your tractor and not maintaining another engine?

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Registered
143 Posts
Woodmaxx tm-86h
I am GREEN with envy :thumbup1gif: I want one of these.

Looks like just the right chipper for a 1025R. I live in the woods, & am constantly battling brush, limbs, etc. I could see one of these doing wonders for cleaning up my property. Seems like I could start my own mulch pile :)

·
Registered
1 Posts

I purchased one last fall and have about 11 hours on it. I've run hard and soft wood through it and love it. My 1025R is a bit small for it but I can throttle back the hydraulic feed roller and the tractor will handle most anything. The chipper instructions say not to run rotten wood through it and I've done that with mixed results. For the most part it can chip a punky limb or two but once in a while it will clog the chute or the blower. I've broken three shear bolts (I have the USA made pro shaft and that includes a slip clutch with a 5/16 shear bolt) but that was due to some 6" limbs going in at too fast a feed rate. You really need to feed stuff that big very slowly. All in all i'm very pleased with it. It was one of the few chippers that were sized for my tractor, it was priced right (About $3200 delivered to my door with lift gate service), and it's well designed and well built. I originally ordered a green one and it was backordered for 2 months, at the 2 month mark, woodmax called and said it would be another 3 months so I opted for a red one instead.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts