Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not see a lot of post about wood chippers and the ones I search seem pretty dated, so what is everyone currently using on their subcompacts and what are the pros and cons? For my very limited use I have to admit the $1200 Chinese models look very tempting.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
ahh..

Theres tons of threads about these ..here and elsewhere.

I borrowed one once....

Heres what I know. Given the flywheel weight and the fact that I( Afterwards discovered) That My tractor a 955
Has a PTO Clutch and seperate Brake...I'm in the school of never again unless running one with an over-run adapter.
Its just not worth the possible damage /cost to dive into my transmission for the gain of blowing chips.

It worked great...till it waded up with chips and smoked the belts ( get one with belts..way easier to change than pto parts)
It had self feed and would eat 5" branches of oak or Fir. I liked it but I'll either get a dedicated chipper or Burn.
No more chipper on my tractor. It was hard to start @ a low rpm to be easy on the pto clutch... and even trying to stop it @ idle was brutal on pto brake. Guy I borrowed it from has a 1025 with less than 50 hrs...I warned Him about pto fears of mine.
He has a warrenty......mine is mine and pushing 25 yrs old .

It is a Larger chipper with way heavy flywheel....perhaps one smaller would not present as much of an issue.

My thoughts...others will vary I'm sure

·
Registered
28 Posts
ahh..

Theres tons of threads about these ..here and elsewhere.

I borrowed one once....

Heres what I know. Given the flywheel weight and the fact that I( Afterwards discovered) That My tractor a 955
Has a PTO Clutch and seperate Brake...I'm in the school of never again unless running one with an over-run adapter.
Its just not worth the possible damage /cost to dive into my transmission for the gain of blowing chips.

It worked great...till it waded up with chips and smoked the belts ( get one with belts..way easier to change than pto parts)
It had self feed and would eat 5" branches of oak or Fir. I liked it but I'll either get a dedicated chipper or Burn.
No more chipper on my tractor. It was hard to start @ a low rpm to be easy on the pto clutch... and even trying to stop it @ idle was brutal on pto brake. Guy I borrowed it from has a 1025 with less than 50 hrs...I warned Him about pto fears of mine.
He has a warrenty......mine is mine and pushing 25 yrs old .

It is a Larger chipper with way heavy flywheel....perhaps one smaller would not present as much of an issue.

My thoughts...others will vary I'm sure
Wow, I never thought about any of those issues! I WAS keen on getting one! Now I'm having second thoughts.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,415 Posts
SIL just got a used Wood 4500 not self feed for his JD2305. Seems to work OK . self feed would have been better

Noticed WVU hat,, from WV or went to WVU :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SIL just got a used Wood 4500 not self feed for his JD2305. Seems to work OK . self feed would have been better

Noticed WVU hat,, from WV or went to WVU :dunno::dunno:
I am originally from Southern WV.

·
Premium Member
14,415 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Woodland Mills

I've got the woodland mills chipper on my 1025R, its been absolutely awesome. I suppose a bit more money than the cheaper version you referenced but a great machine designed to function with a smaller tractor. I've been super impressed with how much it can handle, and short of clogging the chute once by sending an excessive amount of vines and small stuff through its been great. Sending bigger stuff through, like 4 inch diameter branches I slow the hydraulic feed down and it chips it up without skipping a beat.

·
Registered
536 Posts
After buying and using my wood chipper for 2 days I regret not buying a self feed unit . . . it would have saved my hands from the slapping of the branches as I fed them into my chipper and it would have been a lot faster to clean the yard

·
Registered
536 Posts
yes, the hydraulic feed is great. once the rollers grab the branch you can just let go and walk away. very easy.
Exactly . . . and safer to! :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought a Chinese made FHM BX42S Wood Chipper last fall, and have used it several times. It's well made and easy to use. I could not justify the added cost of hydraulic feed, as it would have almost doubled the price of the chipper.
It's not like I use the chipper every day. For occasional use it works just fine, and the money I saved is … well ... money saved. :gizmo:
G

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I bought a Chinese made FHM BX42S Wood Chipper last fall, and have used it several times. It's well made and easy to use. I could not justify the added cost of hydraulic feed, as it would have almost doubled the price of the chipper.
It's not like I use the chipper every day. For occasional use it works just fine, and the money I saved is … well ... money saved. :gizmo:
G
So that's a box on a cart; you just chip the chips into the chipper box? How much can it hold? How heavy does it get? Pneumatic or solid tires? What's the hitch setup? Can you tow the chipper and the cart at the same time?

Thinking about something like that for my setup. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
My chipper is my most used 3 point implement and hydraulic feed is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ZhvwMFytc

I depends on how much you'll use it. I used to make a big pile and rent a tow behind chipper a couple of times a year. Now I don't even carry branches, I just take the chipper to them and don't pile them up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So that's a box on a cart; you just chip the chips into the chipper box? How much can it hold? How heavy does it get? Pneumatic or solid tires? What's the hitch setup? Can you tow the chipper and the cart at the same time?

Thinking about something like that for my setup. :thumbup1gif:
No cart … It's a Kawasaki Mule … I added plywood front & sides to the box to hold the wood chips. The box is approximately 4 ft. square and holds a bunch … :good2:
It works out great with the chipper ... just load and dump … :kidw_truck_smiley:
We use the wood chips for landscaping mulch around wife's flower gardens … :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
No cart … It's a Kawasaki Mule … I added plywood front & sides to the box to hold the wood ships. The box is approximately 4 ft. square and holds a bunch … :good2:
It works out great with the chipper ... just load and dump … :kidw_truck_smiley:
We use the wood chips for landscaping mulch around wife's flower gardens … :thumbup1gif:
DOH! Now I see!:lol: Man, that's a nice little operation. I'll get one- someday.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bx42

I bought a Titan BX42 chipper for my 1025R. Titan was having a good sale and free shipping so I went for it. Works great for chipping up to 4" limbs. Keep in mind it's a chipper. Shredder, not so much. I had a lot of hemlocks down that I needed to clean up. Trying to push too many branches with all the needles on them would clog the chute. I finally got the hang of it by pushing in some brush followed by some hardwood which would push everything out the chute. Other than that, it has performed well for me. For the amount I use it, I couldn't justify the hydraulic feed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been eyeballing a Woodmaxx TM-86H. Self feeding unit designed for small tractors. I personally would not buy one without hydraulic rollers. Not that they are bad, I just like the convenience of it.

When I first started eyeballing them they were 2,400. Now there are 2,700 or 2,800. I guess my eyeballs should have told my brain to bite the bullet. After all, it's only money, and you can't take it with you when you're pushing daisies!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used my MacKissic TPH-122 on the 1025R just like I did on the 4010 and now the 2025R. It does up to 3 1/2" chipping and the hammer mill chute will take up to around 3/4". I've used it a lot for shredding leaves. I do about a 100 bags every year. That's why I like the hammer mill part. Recently, we disposed of about a 100 yard debris pile. Finished off the last of my first 2 chipper blades (used over 15 years) then went through 2 sharpenings (at a machine shop) of the new chipper blade in doing that mess. From that mess, I could often just throw big wood chunks into the hammer mill chute. Could tell by their weight that they'd just fly apart.

No one comments on maintenance. This is easy on the Mac. I've rotated the hammers the 3 times allowed to get all 4 sides worn down and eventually replaced the hammers and spacers about a year ago. Besides the 2 chipper blades, I've had to replace the one roller bearing that is sealed. All these were dead easy jobs to do compared to maybe 4 hours and need to replace the spacers when doing a hammer rotation on a TroyBilt Tomahawk I had that has virtually identical equipment makeup but with the spacers using obviously inferior metallurgy.

Only ever stopped the machine with some wood twice that required shut down and extraction of the wood piece. This is in 15 years. Even on the 18.5 hp 4010, it processed up to 3" without too much bogging. On the 1025R and 2025R, they've too much hp. Never a bog.

Ralph

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank you to everyone for all the feedback. With all the different options, it feels like a "good" chipper purchase is at least 3K bucks. I don't know if the work I'm doing warrants that investment or if I just want one because I want every implement ever made for my tractor.

I think I will rent one this go around just so I do not make a quick purchase I may regret. That is a really good thing about this forum; you get to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. As a new tractor owner who is yet to ever hook up a PTO, your experience is very valuable. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts