Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search didn’t find much for recent info...albeit I don’t think the search works really at all on Tapatalk like it does on the web version....

Nonetheless; I’m researching what brand of wood chipper to get for the property. Two brands that seem to come up with high accolades are woodmaxx and woodland mills. The seem to be similarly built and very close in price.

What are your opinions on a “buy once cry once” wood chipper that I can give to my son in 20 years?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
938 Posts
Either one, I have the Woodland Mills WC-46 and love it. Got it last June

Reactions: tankerpilot01

·
Registered
792 Posts
Got our WM WC46 about a month or so ago. Love it. Sooo much easier to use than the old MacKissic TPH-122 and no longer needed the shredding capability for really small stuff and leaves. Wife was down there this afternoon cutting up dead trees felled by the 2018 flood so as not to leave me waiting for her while chipping. This thing is so fast because you don't have to delimb as much as with the Mac.

Ordered ours on a Wednesday. Came to central Va on that Friday.

In pictures I've seen, it appears that the WM's unit has a more horizontal inlet chute than the Woodmaxx unit, but someone may have posted a pic of the Woodmaxx mechanical feed instead of the hydraulic feed.

Be cognizant of the weight of these units. The 510# WC46 is the limit for the 2025R, but it could easily power the WC68. It just loafs along at 2500 rpm vs. 3000 for "540". If you have a 3 series JD or Kubota L even with the same near 25 hp, they could handle the WC68 weight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Woodmax in my opinion, i have 50 hours on it and it is just a beast. Customer service is great but when you only have to call them 1 time and a human to answer.......i like that. I cannot say anything about woodland mills. I have only owned 1 chipper. So cannot throw them under the "bus" for any reason.

2032r gen1

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got our WM WC46 about a month or so ago. Love it. Sooo much easier to use than the old MacKissic TPH-122 and no longer needed the shredding capability for really small stuff and leaves. Wife was down there this afternoon cutting up dead trees felled by the 2018 flood so as not to leave me waiting for her while chipping. This thing is so fast because you don't have to delimb as much as with the Mac.

Ordered ours on a Wednesday. Came to central Va on that Friday.

In pictures I've seen, it appears that the WM's unit has a more horizontal inlet chute than the Woodmaxx unit, but someone may have posted a pic of the Woodmaxx mechanical feed instead of the hydraulic feed.

Be cognizant of the weight of these units. The 510# WC46 is the limit for the 2025R, but it could easily power the WC68. It just loafs along at 2500 rpm vs. 3000 for "540". If you have a 3 series JD or Kubota L even with the same near 25 hp, they could handle the WC68 weight.
Excellent points! I have a 4066R so I should be good to go for any of these that will take up to 8” of tree really. I’d say anything over 5-6 is firewood so it shouldn’t ever see anything that big....so just extra capacity. Although to be honest I haven’t looked at either brands models that aren’t up to 8” material. I need to dig further on models and prices.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have maybe 10 hours on my new WC88 Woodland Mills chipper. I put it on my International 784. I really like the folding chute and the chainsaw holder. I didn't think I'd use it that much because I have a couple of others on the tractors, but this is very handy. I use my 2320 with the EA55 grapple to move brush closer to the chipper and sometimes I have to cut the branches to fit in the chipper, so having the saw right there is really helpful. I also installed the trailer hitch which is great if I want to blow the chips directly into the trailer.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd vote for a WM WC 8 inch for your series 4 tractor. This Woodmaxx has too high a lift for long pieces. You would not want to light 8 inchers very high at all.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m leaning toward (I’d say 80%) the WC88. $3,300 is what it’s showing currently. I don’t want the China version from woodmaxx....and I can’t justify $5K or more for the US version. I’d rather buy Canadian over China as I’m pretty sure woodland mills is Canadian based...

I think I saw on some of the links above they do NOT charge your credit card until it ships? Generally not the type that likes to pay that much and wait for 2 months before I have something to show for it....

But I also understand them wanting to be paid in full ahead too!

I’m waiting to see a reply from them on military discount...I’m assuming no since they say “everybody pays the same”.....lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
I’m leaning toward (I’d say 80%) the WC88. $3,300 is what it’s showing currently. I don’t want the China version from woodmaxx....and I can’t justify $5K or more for the US version. I’d rather buy Canadian over China as I’m pretty sure woodland mills is Canadian based...
Yeah, about that, from the wm website:

·
Registered
370 Posts

I think I saw on some of the links above they do NOT charge your credit card until it ships? Generally not the type that likes to pay that much and wait for 2 months before I have something to show for it....

But I also understand them wanting to be paid in full ahead too!

I’m waiting to see a reply from them on military discount...I’m assuming no since they say “everybody pays the same”.....lol

I think you will be very satisfied with the Woodland Mills. I have the WC46 and it has performed with what I would say is an excellent rating. I have about 20 hours of use on mine in total, including doing 10 hours of work over the last 2 days, after not having used the chipper in almost 2 years. I gave it a quick once over, performed some basic maintenance and went to work. The hydraulic roller is excellent for my application, and the near horizontal inlet chute helps me greatly. Highly recommend.

Reactions: tankerpilot01

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, about that, from the wm website:

View attachment 780202
Good catch!

Crap I missed that....dang it now I’m not nearly as excited. Based on all the favorable feedback it sure appears most are happy with those chippers though. So I guess for that price range ($3K ish) they are going to be made in China....bummer. I just can’t justify the $5K for the higher end woodmaxx units that are made in the US.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just bought a wc88 yesterday after looking at many videos, reading the manual a couple of time. I thought I was buying Canadian made. Shame on me for not doing a Dunn and Bradstreet but I feel they present as a Canadian product.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just bought a wc88 yesterday after looking at many videos, reading the manual a couple of time. I thought I was buying Canadian made. Shame on me for not doing a Dunn and Bradstreet but I feel they present as a Canadian product.
D&B is another brand of chipper?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m glad it was pointed out above they are made in China. I completely missed it.

They did reply and tell me they give $100 off for military.

Decisions. Decisions.

Unless I find another company that can beat the Woodmaxx MX-9900 that from what I find IS made in US; albeit for $5,000!....then it appears no choice but to have one that’s made in China.....

$2000 more out of pocket to get a US version then in this case vs the WC88.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, they give you a perspective of a registered company.
Just googled; never heard of them. Didn’t see anything there that would have told me anything. It I guess they don’t hide it since the post in their site where and why they chose China....lol. But you’re right I soooo thought it was Canadian made as well!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts