Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cutting near the edge of a $%@^% woodchuck hole next to the woods I hit something hard under some leaves with the blades. Didn't quite sound like a rock, but everything just shut down immediately. After pulling it out away from the hole and starting it back up, as soon as I engage the PTO to start cutting it immediately stalls. I guess I should drop the deck and see what's happening, but haven't needed to do that as the mower was purchased last September and has only 10 hours on it. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem or what I should look for? Maybe something to check before having to pull it apart??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I would just jack it up as a first step to look under the deck and see if it's really obvious what the problem is

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
You hit something that stalled the tractor while mowing.

Now when you engage the PTO the tractor stalls.

Time to investigate under the deck for something seriously bent.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm headed out to get that going. Not sure what to look for, but it may be obvious once I get it up in the air somehow.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Sounds like the deck housing is bent preventing blades from turning and stalls tractor. OR! the jarring from hitting hole let a wire hit something hot and is now shorting.

Remove drive belt to deck and then blade to blade belt. Start tractor and engage pto. If tractor runs, problem is in deck. Turn each deck spindle/pulley and see if free.Bob

Reactions: Yank

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
As mentioned something is under that deck that isn't right. It could be a bent blade, spindle or maybe a rock or chunk of wood wedged between the blades and deck. Have to get under there and look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys called it. The rock or whatever it was somehow bent the shroud in against the blade enough to jam it up. A couple of gentle whacks with a small sledge got it back where it needed to be to let the blade spin freely again.

Thanks much for the feedback. This might sound silly, but I really needed some encouragement today as things seem to be overwhelming at times with this never ending house arrest business. When my (almost) new Deere got ruined (or seemed to be) all I could picture was having to send it out to a three week repair turnaround at the dealer and a big bill so felt like just crawling back into bed. Very glad to have found this forum and you all.

Thanks again and take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what you found and the pic!

You have a great recourse here to help you along.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for asking.

I haven’t gone back to where the woodchuck hole is yet. I was so pissed I wanted to bring the .357 back with me but my wife would divorce me if I hurt a hair on its little head. So I’ve been procrastinating.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Hopefully it was the woodchuck but based on the photo, I don't think so. The underside of the deck would look more like an International than a Deere.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not quite following. That’s a shot from the underside of my 2019 X350. Not a great one handed pic since I was using the other hand trying to hold the deck up. But you’re saying the design looks like an International??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not quite following. That’s a shot from the underside of my 2019 X350. Not a great one handed pic since I was using the other hand trying to hold the deck up. But you’re saying the design looks like an International??
Nah man, he's saying if you had hit the whistle pig, it would have left a bloody mess! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: kylew and sennister

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, LiveToSki. That (obviously) went right over my head but I should have picked up on it, my dad had a Farmall Cub vintage around '55. Also never heard a pasture pig called a whistle pig, but it's certainly on the money. As I said earlier, lots of good information on this forum

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Looks like a seam in the baffle broke. If it was pushed back to the blade it’s probably ground induced. I would have it welded after your straightening job. Muffler shops will do that for next to nothing.

Reactions: The Satch
1 - 16 of 16 Posts