Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,866 Posts
It is my understanding attaching a backhoe to a tractor via the 3 point hitch is not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Three point hitch backhoes are a terrible idea. The hitch and rear end of a small tractor is not designed to support the type of strain that a backhoe can inflict on it. You need a subframe to distribute the load to more areas of the tractor. While it is rare, there have been cases of tractors being broken in half using three point hoes.

Deere will not warranty any damage caused by a three point backhoe being used. There's a reason Deere, Woods, and other big name companies design their factory backhoes with subframes.

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
3PH Mounted backhoes were popular many years ago when they were intended to be mounted to farm tractors that had heavy cast iron or steel final drive / rear axle housings. Most CUT's (HD 1 & 2 Series included) use an aluminum housing these days. The 3PH attaching points can be broken due to the high forces transmitted through the backhoe. That said many implement suppliers make their backhoes available in either 3PH or more expensive subframe mounted designs. The subframe connects to the backhoe, bridges the tractor from below and attaches to heavy yokes mounted to the front loader brackets and at the rear usually with a heavier replacement 3PH receiver. A much better design that distributes the load forces beyond the rear of the tractor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Three point hitch backhoes are a terrible idea. The hitch and rear end of a small tractor is not designed to support the type of strain that a backhoe can inflict on it. You need a subframe to distribute the load to more areas of the tractor. While it is rare, there have been cases of tractors being broken in half using three point hoes.

Deere will not warranty any damage caused by a three point backhoe being used. There's a reason Deere, Woods, and other big name companies design their factory backhoes with subframes.
Well, ya know, when I was looking at the video of the installation of the JD 270a on Mutton Power’s site, I was a bit surprised to see what I thought was on the 3Pt. If that makes any sense. Maybe I saw it wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3PH Mounted backhoes were popular many years ago when they were intended to be mounted to farm tractors that had heavy cast iron or steel final drive / rear axle housings. Most CUT's (HD 1 & 2 Series included) use an aluminum housing these days. The 3PH attaching points can be broken due to the high forces transmitted through the backhoe. That said many implement suppliers make their backhoes available in either 3PH or more expensive subframe mounted designs. The subframe connects to the backhoe, bridges the tractor from below and attaches to heavy yokes mounted to the front loader brackets and at the rear usually with a heavier replacement 3PH receiver. A much better design that distributes the load forces beyond the rear of the tractor.
If I understand you,you are agreeing with 56FordGuy, Correct? Bad idea

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Well, ya know, when I was looking at the video of the installation of the JD 270a on Mutton Power’s site, I was a bit surprised to see what I thought was on the 3Pt. If that makes any sense. Maybe I saw it wrong.
It uses the three point hitch to lift the backhoe into position, where pins attach it to the subframe. The hitch isn't supporting any of the forces exerted while digging.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you don't plan on using it for commercial ditch digging or digging in extremely rocky conditions, a 3 point hitch will save you some money. I have a Woods BH6000 on my 2320 via 3ph, and it has been doing ok for the light, once or twice a year use that it gets in the soft dirt here in my part of KY. I wouldn't want to do much more than that with it however without buying the frame mount for it. Only problem with the Woods frame mount, is that it has to be removed during the summer to use the MMM, which would be a nuisance to install/remove IMO for as little as I need the backhoe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the money I would just get the deere one it is not that much more. And as stated it is designed to work with the tractor you already have.

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
Another thing to consider is sometimes folks purchase implements with good intentions only to never use them. Keep an eye open for a good deal.

In recent years I purchased a 46 backhoe in nice condition for $3500 and another new / unused 46 for $3000. Sold-off the used one for $4500 after some use and sold off the new one when I traded my 2720 on the 3320. Got good use and made money with both of them one way or another and they were both compatible with my equipment. Another good reason to go OEM is compatibility and resale value.

Reactions: Yamaguy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing to consider is sometimes folks purchase implements with good intentions only to never use them. Keep an eye open for a good deal.

In recent years I purchased a 46 backhoe in nice condition for $3500 and another new / unused 46 for $3000. Sold-off the used one for $4500 after some use and sold off the new one when I traded my 2720 on the 3320. Got good use and made money with both of them one way or another and they were both compatible with my equipment. Another good reason to go OEM is compatibility and resale value.
I just noticed that there were a couple more replies. I was looking at a couple used backhoes for from $7000.00 to 15000.00 but, couldn’t make up my mind. Since I needed a trench dug now I was going to just rent a mini excavator, then I thought I would see what was on Criags List. I found a company for $350.00 for a 3 hour minimum. They came with a medium size excavator and did the trench in less than an hour. Since I had more time available, they happily went to the back and dug out 5 stumps. Two of them were monsters! I must say, that was the best $350 I’ve ever spent and they were very pleasant young men. Now, if I were ever to find a JD46 BH for $3 or $4000, I would jump on it. For now, I’m very happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts