Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bit the bullet and bought a Woodmax flail mower, FM54 with hammers. It is made in china but it’s put together pretty well. I have only done a test run but I like it so far. I had a betsco 60″ standard flail and was not impressed. One of the grease zerks was broke when I got it and the 3pt pins they give you fail and pop out. A friend was using it and one of the 3pt arms detached because the pin fell out. The 25r handled the 60″ fine for tall grass but it was too big for my trailer. The woodmax was $400 more but well worth it since I sold the other one. The Woodmax was out of stock when I bought the betsco and I needed a mower.

My only negative comment is that the cut width is 50″. I wish it was 54 or 56″, not sure why they call it a FM54. The gear oil Woodmax sells is amsoil synthetic. I’m sure the 25r could handle the FM62 but it weighs 680lbs. The FM54 weighs in at 450 with the pto shaft. If you don’t have weights on the front you can’t turn. I guess a set of 70lbs weights would work if you had a FM62. But that’s another $720 to mother deere. I don’t get free stuff.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Green Bumper Electronic instrument Audio equipment Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Circuit component Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks like a nice unit, I'll be interested in seeing how it works out for you. Interesting report on the Betsco.

My 1025R won't fit in my shed with the brush hog attached but it would with a flail mower.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Impressive flail! I am on my second Rears flail (sold the first one with the tractor), which is made in Oregon and has great design features and very easy to replace knives with one hand since the knives are on d-rings. BUT at half the price this Woodmaxx is impressive. I’d expect these will be very popular.

Reactions: Upset264
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.