Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a MX-8800 on 5/11 and it was delivered today! My delivery window was 10-2 and here it is at 10:05:

20170603_100556.jpg

Once you open it up, everything is wrapped up pretty well:

20170603_101814.jpg

I'm not very impressed with the crate job:

20170603_101824.jpg

20170603_101838.jpg

I installed the pins in the Quick Hitch holes and took it to the barn to finish the assembly:

20170603_110620.jpg

20170603_112612.jpg

20170603_113146.jpg

You have to remove the shield to fill the reservoir with 10w-40 motor oil:

20170603_131641.jpg

Here she is all put together and ready for a test run:

20170603_143458.jpg

20170603_143507.jpg

20170603_143516.jpg

Tach/hour meter:

20170603_143643.jpg

Chips!

20170603_145300.jpg

Fits right under the lean to:

20170603_171637.jpg

Here is a quick vid. I've got the feed rate pretty slow here, it'll really pull stuff in when it's at full speed:

I only put 7/10 of an hour on it today. Grandbaby came over which is much more important than the chipper. It's an awesome machine! Can't imagine not having hydraulic feed. I'll do a more in depth review when I've got some more hours on it. I'm really happy so far!

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
Bubber--very -very nice:bigthumb:

Reactions: Levi and Bubber

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
:lovetongue: That;s one NICE chipper. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would like to have one of those, looks like a nice piece of equipment. From the looks of the surroundings it will get plenty of use:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to have one of those, looks like a nice piece of equipment. From the looks of the surroundings it will get plenty of use:thumbup1gif:
Yup, this should make my yearly brush pile burns a thing of the past.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
VERY NICE!!

I bought a WoodMaxx MX-9900 a couple of months ago. (I still need to post a review and pics. :hide:) I've been super impressed with it - it's taken anything that will feed through the chute! WoodMaxx puts together a high quality machine. For mine, the skid arrived in much better shape than yours though!

Enjoy it! I sold a BearCat manual feed chipper to justify buying my WoodMaxx. The BearCat was also very high (USA Made!) quality, but having the hydraulic feed is SO NICE!! I can pretty safely say that having the hydraulics cuts my chipping time down to 1/2 to 1/3 of what it was. Plus it doesn't wear this fat old gray haired guy down so much!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm really liking my TM-86H. No issues so far. Mine came on a steel pallet, so I'm a bit surprised yours arrived on a crumbled up wood pallet. I'd definitely let them know about that.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's an awesome looking chipper!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
That is a nice chipper. I think the hydraulic feed is the best thing they could have done for these chippers. Doing it by hand is a work out and makes for a lots of cuts on your arm. How much HP does it need to operate?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody! It's been a long time coming and this year's rush to get the brush pile burned, not to mention killing an entire weekend to do it was pretty much the tipping point.

This thing weighs 850 lbs and requires 20 PTO horsepower to run it. It's bigger brother the MX-9900 that mark02tj needs 25 PTO horsepower and weighs 1,000 lbs. I stretched the budget to get this one, but I'm really happy with it. I think it's about as big as I would want to go with the 2032r, but it's big enough that if I step up to a bigger tractor, it'll still do. The hydraulic feed is really nice, you can run it wide open for smaller stuff and it'll rip right through it, but you can slow it down for bigger limbs, so it doesn't bog the tractor down. I have to engage the PTO at a little over 1,000 rpm, if I do it at idle, it'll kill the engine.

One thing that I'm really looking forward to is being able to take the chipper to different parts of the yard and do work rather than having to drag everything to one spot to burn. I've got a pine tree that fell to clean up and I'll just take it there and chip all of the branches rather than have to collect everything and tote off.

I'll be posting more about it soon. It's raining today, so I'm finally building that lumber rack in the barn.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I have to engage the PTO at a little over 1,000 rpm, if I do it at idle, it'll kill the engine.
I hear ya on that! The rotor/flywheel on the old Bearcat was 145 lbs. You could engage the PTO at idle and the tractor would hardly notice. The rotor on my 9900 is 220 lbs and it sounds like the tractor is just about going to die when you engage it at idle. That's a significant difference. Popping up the RPMs just a bit is a good idea. THANKS!

My 3520 is somewhere around 31 hp at the PTO. The tractor definitely knows it's back there when operating.

One thing that I was introduced to on the MX-9900 was the concept of PTO shaft shear pins! :banghead: I've only sheared one, but had an "oh crap!" moment when I did it. Around the 3rd or 4th time I used the chipper, apparently there were still some chips in the area between the feed roller and the flywheel. I could tell that one of them was against a knife on the wheel. I thought that just engaging the PTO would take care of it, but NO! So I replaced the pin and I opened up the discharge chute cover and cleared that out.

Now I do a couple of things. First, I let the chipper run for a minute or two after the last thing is passed through. I rev it up and down to try and use the "air flow" of the flywheel to make sure every thing is "sucked in". The other thing I do is to run something small and "leafy" through as the last piece. My theory is that the leaves on a small branch (almost twig size) will act as a "broom" to make sure that there are no pieces left in that area that's hard to see. So far that's worked fine.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,809 Posts
I hear ya on that! The rotor/flywheel on the old Bearcat was 145 lbs. You could engage the PTO at idle and the tractor would hardly notice. The rotor on my 9900 is 220 lbs and it sounds like the tractor is just about going to die when you engage it at idle. That's a significant difference. Popping up the RPMs just a bit is a good idea. THANKS!

My 3520 is somewhere around 31 hp at the PTO. The tractor definitely knows it's back there when operating.

One thing that I was introduced to on the MX-9900 was the concept of PTO shaft shear pins! :banghead: I've only sheared one, but had an "oh crap!" moment when I did it. Around the 3rd or 4th time I used the chipper, apparently there were still some chips in the area between the feed roller and the flywheel. I could tell that one of them was against a knife on the wheel. I thought that just engaging the PTO would take care of it, but NO! So I replaced the pin and I opened up the discharge chute cover and cleared that out.

Now I do a couple of things. First, I let the chipper run for a minute or two after the last thing is passed through. I rev it up and down to try and use the "air flow" of the flywheel to make sure every thing is "sucked in". The other thing I do is to run something small and "leafy" through as the last piece. My theory is that the leaves on a small branch (almost twig size) will act as a "broom" to make sure that there are no pieces left in that area that's hard to see. So far that's worked fine.
I do just the opposite, I save a nice straight piece for last to act as a clean out.
Too many leaves and pine needles without a clean out branch have a habit of clogging the chute. I guess the lighter material just doesn't throw/carry as far.

Bad Day (3).JPG

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,809 Posts
BTW Bubber, Babycakes runs the chipper while I do the chainsaw work and chute cleaning when needed. Just Sayin!

·
Registered
23,053 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review and eapecially the video. I have only ever run the big commercial ones at work - always wondered how these smaller units worked. As you say - the hydraulic feed would be a must - I couldn't imagine hand feeding one.

Grapples and chippers - chippers and grapples - oh my could I use either one or both!

IMG_0120.JPG

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,809 Posts
Gizmo, you are truly a luck man! :good2: I believe that I'll get all of the "pleasure" of using this machine all to myself. :laugh:
I'm not really sure who is the lucky man here. :dunno: I do admit, it does get boring after a while.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts