Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a woods prd7200 (rear discharge) on my 3039R. I am interested in minimizing the clumping, if possible. I am wondering if adding the mulching kit and possibly some gator type blades will help. Has anyone added this kit and what was your experience????

Thanks in advance.
:greentractorride::greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
I am using a woods prd7200 (rear discharge) on my 3039R. I am interested in minimizing the clumping, if possible. I am wondering if adding the mulching kit and possibly some gator type blades will help. Has anyone added this kit and what was your experience????

Thanks in advance.
:greentractorride::greentractorride:
Hmmmm. According to Woods Sales Literature:

The combination of a deep deck, baffling and unique rear
discharge design ensures exceptional material distribution
and gives you the premium results that make the Woods
name synonymous with “cut quality”

Couple questions.

1) Are you at 540 rpm PTO speed?

2) How tall is the grass you are cutting and how short are you cutting it?

I would think that if it was clumping with an open deck, a mulching kit would just make it worse....

I have ran the Frontier 72" model and it did pretty well, but I was only cutting normal height grass. I've never ran it in deep stuff.

Personally I have a 60" side discharge and want to upgrade to a 72" rear discharge so I am kinda interested to see what your experience is.

Reactions: 45mb42t3

·
Registered
438 Posts
I currently have some high lift or what you might call high suction blades on a Land Pride FDR2584. They do chop up the clippings more than the medium lift blades I've used on it and I like them.
Though It is a rear discharge mower, it still tends to discharge more clippings to the right side (blade rotation)but nothing remotely like the belly mower did. I think you're on the right track looking for a blade with more lift or Gator blades if they make them.
If I can mow when I can take 2 or 3" AND the grass is dry, the RFM does a beautiful job of spreading out the clippings.
This spring that's been a problem but still much much better than a side discharge deck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
rtgt, It does give a quality cut, actually the cut is excellent, It just leaves clumps. Cutting medium forward speed. pto at 540 rpm. Running chains on rear, I don't know if taking them off would help. I can only cut every other week, some may say this is the problem. I believe some improvement can be made. Maybe I'll try different blades, as the clump material is not finely chopped up. I also have a scag zero turn mower side discharge (I know its comparing apples and oranges) the discharge is chopped so finely and discharged so far you can not even see it.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
I think PaDave has a good point.

It might be the blades.

Worth a try. Nothing wrong with having a spare set either.

Reactions: 45mb42t3 and PaDave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
rtgt, It does give a quality cut, actually the cut is excellent, It just leaves clumps.
Cutting medium forward speed. pto at 540 rpm.
Running chains on rear, I don't know if taking them off would help.
My chains are standing in the corner of the shed,,, I never get a clump,,,

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the green variant of that mower (Frontier GM1072R) and am very happy with it. Power it with a 3520 or 3032E. I mow my yard with it, and several acres of pasture.

Mow quality is excellent, But I get clumps when mowing stuff too tall, like 18" clover and grass. It's been wet so far and I got behind. So I know what causes my clumps.

Is the grass wet when you are getting clumps?

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Thanks for the follow up and glad that you got the problem solved.

:good2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts