Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there with a Woods RC4 (or probably 5 & 6 too) that could take a picture of the gearbox so I can see the vent plug? When I pulled in the garage after a particularly aggressive mowing section out in the blackberry thickets I noticed a fairly large hole in the vent plug that I’m 99% sure wasn’t there before. Before I spend the $10 to buy a new one I thought I’d make sure I wasn’t crazy and it wasn’t supposed to look like that. I feel like there should be a brass cap or rubber grommet covering it or something. Thanks in advance for the help.

BF127654-74DC-4079-A8D4-96B5E1D67379.jpg

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You're not nuts. :laugh: There should be a cap covering the vent. The way it sits now, all the debris and rain can go right into the gearbox (and it's obvious that's no bueno).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was thinking, thanks for the reply. It’s not threaded inside or out so I can’t just put a brass cap on it. I’m sure I could find a rubber grommet or something like that that would fit, but then it would be totally sealed. I assume it used to have a small brass plug loosely crimped on it so that it was sealed but not airtight? Why does the gearbox even need to be “vented?”

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
That’s what I was thinking, thanks for the reply. It’s not threaded inside or out so I can’t just put a brass cap on it. I’m sure I could find a rubber grommet or something like that that would fit, but then it would be totally sealed. I assume it used to have a small brass plug loosely crimped on it so that it was sealed but not airtight? Why does the gearbox even need to be “vented?”
Correct, they usually have a cap crimped over the stem to allow air to escape but keep water and debris out. The vent is required because the gearbox gets very hot during operation and will build up air pressure. Without a vent it could pop the seals. I suppose the vent also helps to let excess fluid escape in case someone over fills it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense, thanks for the info. I ordered an OEM replacement (for $14...), hopefully once I get a look at it I’ll be able to make something work with the busted one so I have a backup.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Makes sense, thanks for the info. I ordered an OEM replacement (for $14...), hopefully once I get a look at it I’ll be able to make something work with the busted one so I have a backup.
Sounds good. Maybe you can find a copper tubing cap that will fit loosely and can be squeezed to stay put.

copper_cap.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts