Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I love the tooth bar. It is awesome. Digging is much easier, and uprooting small saplings is a snap.

Please curl your bucket flat when lower the bucket. I clocked my ankle, at the fibula lower end, on the tooth bar. Went to the bone, and left me with an inch long gash. On antibiotics now, as my foot swelled up some.

A great addition to your bucket, that needs a little respect.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Sorry Binford!
That must of hurt. I have been discussing this with my wife before your post about how I stumble and fall easier than I used to and I am afraid of doing that to me. I'm going to spend some extra money on a different brand that one of the other guys has or put a link up for. I have a lil nephew that I plan on having around Betsy a lot so it makes the decision to be a lil bit safer for him too.

Hope you feel better soon! :painkiller:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sorry Binford!
That must of hurt. I have been discussing this with my wife before your post about how I stumble and fall easier than I used to and I am afraid of doing that to me. I'm going to spend some extra money on a different brand that one of the other guys has or put a link up for. I have a lil nephew that I plan on having around Betsy a lot so it makes the decision to be a lil bit safer for him too.

Hope you feel better soon! :painkiller:
About stumbling or falling. My girlfriend was just on me about getting in the shower. She said get a shower before I get home from the store. Told her I'll wait till she gets back. Said with my luck I'll fall in the shower and drown. I said because of the way and frequency that I fall. Every time I go to move the shower curtain I feel like I'm tugging at the grim reapers robe. lol

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Being a 63/64 year old fat guy i am not has light on my feet has I use to be. I worry about falling in the yard. Has far has the tooth bar I recieved mine a few weeks ago havent mounted it yet but talked with my wife about working around it. I wil always try to put it flat on the ground. Good Luck hope you heal fast. :good2:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
DANG, another "been there, done that, another scar" for Hydro too!:laugh: Got lazy one day and left it on the bucket while loading some firewood in it by hand... spun around with some splits and got bit just below the knee. This tool is aptly named! No stitches though, shop rag and some of that wonderful silver tape until the blood stopped. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
As a fool who has worked in factories over forty years I have seen and experienced many reminders that our skin offers little more resistance to cutting and penetration than that of a peach. There is a lot to look out for to avoid injury in the world. I hope you heal quickly and avoid infection.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ouch hope the infection is not bad. Bucket edges up's and hitches in the sleeve are both painful. I never thought about the sharp tooth bar.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Wow , sorry to hear that !!! But thanks for the heads up to us other owners of the tooth that love it !! Safety first . :bigthumb:
Hope you feel up quick .

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have been lucky to avoid the tooth bar so far, but that damn ROPS has got me a couple times! :banghead: Hope you heal up soon and wear that scar proudly!.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Being a 63/64 year old fat guy i am not has light on my feet has I use to be. I worry about falling in the yard. Has far has the tooth bar I recieved mine a few weeks ago havent mounted it yet but talked with my wife about working around it. I wil always try to put it flat on the ground. Good Luck hope you heal fast. :good2:
My ex FIL fell in the yard (rolling the Chraftsman tractor might have been involved) and broke something (forgot what) but it left him unable to walk. He eventually drug himself into his big shed used as a garage. With his Dakota truck inside their was not a lot of extra room to get the passenger door open. Eventually he gets to his cell phone in the glove box. Kind of like a snake slithering. Then he finally was able to call for help. His other problem is the whole place is on a giant hill. His son lived at the top of this hill. So he or the wife would have had to drive by eventually. However that was still hours away.
He was hospitalized for a few days from what I remember. The ex was at the hospital most of the night.

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
First of all, I love the tooth bar. It is awesome. Digging is much easier, and uprooting small saplings is a snap.

Please curl your bucket flat when lower the bucket.
I clocked my ankle, at the fibula lower end, on the tooth bar. Went to the bone, and left me with an inch long gash. On antibiotics now, as my foot swelled up some.

Love my Piranha Bar too, as you say a "great addition". I'd say I always curl the bucket down while it's on, but most likely do not.

It's a good reminder here, bucket down, curled down when the Piranha is on board, 3-point lowered also.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Years ago at a tractor show there was an allis with a sickle bar. The owner had made a cover out of a piece of PVC pipe. He cut a slot lengthwise with a router so it slid over all the teeth then he had two bungees around the blade and guard. OR bending a piece of sheet metal in a U shape and slide it over.

I would worry my 2 crazy dogs would impale themselves...

Get Well!

·
Registered
471 Posts

Please curl your bucket flat when lower the bucket. I clocked my ankle, at the fibula lower end, on the tooth bar. Went to the bone, and left me with an inch long gash. On antibiotics now, as my foot swelled up some.

I hope you heal fast! I have two young kids and try to always lay the bucket/toothbar flat on the ground. But.....there was that one time I left it up and I hit my leg against it. Luckily all that happened was a cut in my blue jeans!

I have been lucky to avoid the tooth bar so far, but that damn ROPS has got me a couple times! :banghead: Hope you heal up soon and wear that scar proudly!.
OMG, I'm glad I am not the only one! I hit it so hard I fell on my butt and saw stars for a minute. Once I finally got up, I was praying no one saw it happen:lolol:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yep. Mine sits in the middle of the shop and I always make sure the bucket and tooth bar is down level on the floor.
But I wouldn't even consider taking mine off. I LOVE it.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Binford, I hope you recover quickly. I've learned that there are a lot of ways to hurt yourself with a tractor. Their usefulness and the enjoyment we get from them can easily distract us from their dangers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry that happened to you, my bucket refuses to sit flat, it always curls, I'm probably going to custom cut a pool noodle for mine because of this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Great idea, also the previous suggestion of a pvc pipe with a slit in it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
A pool noodle, or pipe insulation would also work to cover the piranha when not in use.

·
Registered
231 Posts

So sorry to hear this, Binford. Thanks for the heads-up on this. I was just thinking the other day of getting one of these for my tractor. I never thought of this danger, but now I know. Hope you get well soon.

Stewart

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So sorry to hear this, Binford. Thanks for the heads-up on this. I was just thinking the other day of getting one of these for my tractor. I never thought of this danger, but now I know. Hope you get well soon.

Stewart
The tooth bar is a great asset, I wouldn't let my lapse in safety judgement sway your decision. There are a 100 things in our barns, garages, and on the tractor, that can bite. Just a little repect for the attachment is all. Also, it can be removed, and stored very easily, 2 bolts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts