Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They want $81.00+ to buy the Tie Rod End on the Left Side. First part to wear out in 4 years so far except my Fan Belt that broke? Been doing road repair work for a guy near me. Getting $50.00 a hour to clean it up. Been on it for 2 days and more work later too. I enjoy working the tractor just not buying $80.00 plus little parts for it! Only 680 hours so far on it. A wildfire went thru and destroyed his place so were going to make it look nice once more. I am parking it out! Works great to pull the logs over to where he will saw them up into lumber later. He bought a Saw Mill to do cut them up with.

·
Old Pa-pa
13,579 Posts
They want $81.00+ to buy the Tie Rod End on the Left Side.
Remember when they used to put zerks on them and they'd last dang near forever.
My 40 year old IH 274 has not needed a tie rod end yet, amazing what a little fresh grease
now and again will do.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
6 years and 770 hours on my 4066R and all is well. No issues with tie rod ends that I am aware of.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a set (2) for $70.00 used for racing I will look into. They seem to be the same size ect but 1/3rd the price?? I will order one and see. If they work I will get a extra set. Nothing special about the JD ones I can see? The others have Zerk's too!

NOTE*** I did not know they were loose till a guy behind me pointed it out. I lifted both tires up with the loader to see. Grab a wheel and boy I could see and feel the play!

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to add boy dose the 4044M run a long time on fuel! I worked her hard for 8 hours strait. Started it in the morning and did not shut it down till that night. I only used less than a 3/4 tank of fuel! That is around 9 gals and on the 2nd day same 8 hours solid used around 7 gals. Around a gallon a hour building roads and making slash piles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Remember when they used to put zerks on them and they'd last dang near forever.
My 40 year old IH 274 has not needed a tie rod end yet, amazing what a little fresh grease
now and again will do.

Isn't that 2wd? Lots more forces on the 4wd ones.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the 4044M is a 4-Wheel Drive tractor with Differential Lock if needed.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Reactions: Big

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think he was talking about the 274.

Sure was, I have the same tractor? A 4x4 with a loader is going to impart way more force and wear on a particular joint on the front axle than a 2wd made specifically for pulling. I assume you're using sufficient ballast to get some weight (wear and tear) off the front axle?? Maybe a little more would be beneficial.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I assume you're using sufficient ballast to get some weight (wear and tear) off the front axle?? Maybe a little more would be beneficial.
Right on.

This is something that people probably get tired of hearing but needs mentioned often. Like you pointed out, PROPER rear ballast has many benefits other than keeping the rear end on the ground. Like wear and tear on linkages, axel seals, etc.

Reactions: Yank and The Satch

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Right on.

This is something that people probably get tired of hearing but needs mentioned often. Like you pointed out, PROPER rear ballast has many benefits other than keeping the rear end on the ground. Like wear and tear on linkages, axel seals, etc.
Amen. Been trying to tell people this forever. Safety is great, and all, but that’s not the only reason for ballast. Front seals suck to change. Keep the weight off the front.

·
Old Pa-pa
13,579 Posts
Isn't that 2wd? Lots more forces on the 4wd ones.
Yup, but 40 years ain't that bad longevity wise either for ball joints.
Think the zerks on them are responsible for that, don't think non-greaseable
would have lasted that long.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't feel bad, we 955 owners have to replace the entire steering cyl to fix a tie rod end. I have only 1 bad end and even the aftermarket cyl is over $300

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 800 lbs of ballast hanging off the 3 point and over 1,400 lbs in the rear tires. Add 200 plus pounds of chains it has plenty of ballast. My loader is not used for weight much. I mainly push snow and a few big bails of hay each year. Now my 3 point gets a work out all the time!!

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the new ones and put them on. Easy job having a loader to lift the wheels off the ground. Soon I will have a replacement for these the next time if they wear out fast. Took the rubber boots off and they were nice and flexible too. Had to tear them off to do it. Both were dry as a bone and the ball socket is rusted/worn larger? Still a smooth ball socket all over but 1/8" play in both added up to 1/4" on the Tie Rod being loose. Back to a solid steering and no slop like before. I feel it is a poor design not sealed right for a tractor. No grease left all gone in less then 3 years 680 approx hrs. I grease all the other moving points at regular schedules. I will get a set of cheaper ones that are stronger with a zerk. I think you could drill out the new ones and put them in? There is room at the top for one to tap threads for it. $81.00 Each is way to much when there sold other places $10.99-$32.00 free shipping? Still happy with my tractor big time just the cost of little Green parts for it are [email protected]! The new ones were black not even Green?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts