Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a halogen or LED light be better to work in a greenhouse at night? I know halogen stand lights can burn out if you bump them. But I don't know with my 75% humidity which is better. Building is also 96' long and don't want to move the light alot. I have to work at night sometimes because my other job butts into my farm work.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Would a halogen or LED light be better to work in a greenhouse at night? I know halogen stand lights can burn out if you bump them. But I don't know with my 75% humidity which is better. Building is also 96' long and don't want to move the light alot. I have to work at night sometimes because my other job butts into my farm work.
I live in Oregon's Willamette Valley. We've had six plus months of rain with the humidity running 99-100%, day in, day out. I have LED lighting, 100%, in the barn and shop. . . Also LED lighting on the 1026R :greentractorride:.

All lighting is working 100%.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
773 Posts
you are asking about a light on a stand or ceiling lights?

You can buy LED lights for a vehicle, 12 vdc that have a center focused beam and outside spread pattern. You can't look at them. They could be mounted on a stand and reach your 96 feet. The LED work lights sold at the box stores really are not intended for long distance. LED lights for vehicles/atv's, etc are rugged and waterproof. Check this out...https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Waterproof-Off-road-Military-Equipment/dp/B00T7GYDTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493590350&sr=8-1&keywords=Auxbeam+LED+Light+Bar+12%22+72W+CREE+LED

Normal headlights vs a single 12" 72w LED

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
I have not seen an instance in 12 V, shop, home or outside flood light where the LEDs did not out perform incandescent or halogen. Plus they don't burn the **** out of you when bump into them.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I'm talking like your lights that are on a tripod for in a shop. With the cage over the lens.
I have ceiling fixture LED lights in the barn and shop. All are rated lumens and color temp. I buy 5000K color temp if possible , 4000K minimum (white/bright), 6000K maximum (super white/bright). Always white and bright. :good2:

So, I suspect you're going to have to buy a tripod LED configuration and see how it works for you, does it satisfy the needs? :unknown:

Amazon has a lot: https://www.amazon.com/s//www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=tripod+work+lights&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Atripod+work+lights&ajr=0
While I've not bought this one I like the color temp and lumens: xhttps://www.amazon.com/s//www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=tripod+work+lights&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Atripod+work+lights&ajr=0

Remember, too white, too bright is hard on the eyes up close. And you'll not want to look at the light, it' will be just too bright. :hide:

I have not seen an instance in 12 V, shop, home or outside flood light where the LEDs did not out perform incandescent or halogen. Plus they don't burn the **** out of you when bump into them.
You'll be amazed how bright LED's are compared to incandescent and fluorescent. . . Honestly there is no comparison. :thumbup1gif:

Long lasting, low power and heat. . . I'd never go back, never. :yahoo:

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Maybe consider a headlamp with rechargeable batteries?

I have a Fenix headlamp with a spot and flood lens (two 160 lumen LEDs) and they can be run at the same time. It's crazy bright when the batteries are fresh, and it's plenty bright enough to work with even when there's no moon. I paid around $50 for it.

I have another cheapo LED headlamp I wear fishing at night. I paid like $12 for it and it runs on a single AAA battery. Not bright like the Fenix, but it's so small and light I don't notice it on my head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts