Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a work platform for their loader?
We have used our Artillian forks several times as a ladder/scaffold. Right now, we're just using a pallet for the platform. However, I would rather have something better with the following features:

- Removable safety railings.
- shelf for temporary tool/parts storage
- maybe a step for getting a bit higher than the H120 can lift.
- stretching the idea, maybe a fold up ladder to quickly get up and down.

It is much nicer to work from this platform than from a ladder.

Something like the "Big Tool Rack" advertised here might be pretty close to what I'm looking for if it could be used with the loader forks. However, it is pretty expensive.

Since I don't have any welding equipment, I was thinking of building it out of wood. Perhaps using a pallet as the foundation.
What should I use for railing? I could use galvanized pipe, or perhaps build the rails out of wood as well?
Any ideas?

DSC_3409.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have built several. I'm a Journeyman Millwright certified in OSHA regulations. Understanding this is for home use and you don't need to follow OSHA standards. SAFETY first. One thing you want to keep in mind, railings should be permanately mounted and never removed , NEVER use a ladder in the safety cage, never stand on the rails. Be sure to secure the safety cage to the fork mast with a chain to prevent it from sliding off. I would never suggest anyone to work off a open platform, one wrong step and over the side you go , I realize your not very far off the ground but sometimes it doesn't make a difference you could break a leg, arm or even your back,
Do what you want. Just saying you should always think safely not what makes some thing easier and not safe

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Looks handy but personally I would be too chicken to get on something like that. I have looked at various forklift man baskets. They have higher rails and can be secured to the forks. The only remaining problem is I am the only person I trust to operate the tractor while lifting me.

lift.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the link. I had not heard of this product.
No prob! I haven't used one so I can't vouch for them but Id run across their site and thought it was an interesting setup. If you've got some basic welding skills (or know someone that does!) and some carpentry skills, you could put something very similar together over the course of a weekend.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
147 Posts
I new an electrician that fell off a ladder about 5 ft. He was a young guy too. He was in the hospital for several months. OSHA now requires anyone working more than 6 ft off the ground to be tied off. The reason is serious injury can occur even at lower hieghts. I violate all the time but I do it almost every day. Even I would never do what the guy in the photo is doing. Thats asking for trouble. The op question is a good one. There is also a rule about how much wider than the carrige you may go. It like 2-3 ft no more.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Nothing fancy, but this pallet box I built gets used for everything possible, including a work platform.

IMG_4386.jpg IMG_4388.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I've used one of these before on a forklift (archery practice) Worked good.

Ropack Bulk Containers

You may be able to find them used on craigslist.

Reactions: mjncad

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I have been thinking of a work platform also, not necessarily as a lift for me but a portable workbench when working outside. It would make a good platform to attach my miter saw, vice etc. when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have this and use it a quite a bit. Painting, tree trimming...

Gizmo,
Did you make this, or buy it somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use an 8ft wooden skid that a piece of equipment came to my work on. I put eye bolts in the skid and chain it to the loader. Then I use a saftey harness on me and connect it to the laoder. The most dangerous part of it all is my 66 year old Dad running the laoder.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Gizmo,
Did you make this, or buy it somewhere?
Funny you ask, it was made for me. I call a friend who owns a large iron works shop that I have gotten steel from for years to see what steel he had laying around. I told him what I was making, he then told me to send him a picture so he could understand. I grabbed the first picture I saw that I liked off the Internet and sent the picture, two days later he called back and said he had everything.
I went over to his shop, tape measure in hand, and there it was, all done. He refused any type of payment. I bought pizza's for his shop crew.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been thinking of a work platform also, not necessarily as a lift for me but a portable workbench when working outside. It would make a good platform to attach my miter saw, vice etc.
Sounds like a good idea. When one gets forks, we seem to transform into putting everything on pallets. You could mount a piece of plywood on a pallet, then permanently attach your miter saw to it. Potentially use different 'benches' for different types of project work.

We've been thinking of building/buying large shelving which could hold pallets with items like this attached.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
I was told when I was a kid to never trust the loader, it could drop at any unexpected time, yet nobody has mentioned that. Was I told wrong?
You a probably correct. Right or Wrong we have been using our lift platform for many years, ALWAYS a person on the tractor and the tractor running, haven't had an issue yet.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,289 Posts
We have this and use it a quite a bit. Painting, tree trimming...

View attachment 35669
I've seen where you posted this before and didn't think of it at the time but I have to ask, seeing as it's you on the platform, was Lady Gizmo punishing you? Maybe putting you up there to get you out of her hair? We all know that can't be your break room and you're always on break. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 63 Posts