Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made myself a workbench a couple of years ago, I had this design in my head and finally got around to building it.. The bench is small 48"x30" but it's all I need for the space I have. I wanted it on wheels to move it around as needed. It is all stick welded.. The vise I used is a Rock Island 505A from about 1935. I found it on ebay for about $35 cleaned it up and installed it on my bench.. It was a fun project.. I really like how it came out..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Made myself a workbench a couple of years ago, I had this design in my head and finally got around to building it.. The bench is small 48"x30" but it's all I need for the space I have. I wanted it on wheels to move it around as needed. It is all stick welded.. The vise I used is a Rock Island 505A from about 1935. I found it on ebay for about $35 cleaned it up and installed it on my bench.. It was a fun project.. I really like how it came out..
That looks really good, I like the way you did the nuts for the casters. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks really good, I like the way you did the nuts for the casters. :thumbup1gif:
Where the threaded rod goes into the table leg it is double nutted for it wont loosen. Where the threaded rod attaches to the caster it is tightened, then I drilled through the rod and nut and install 3/16 tension pins so they will not loosen. It worked out well..

·
Old Pa-pa
11,414 Posts
Super slick! :good2::good2:

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Now that is a Real Rolling Bench! I like it you can beat on it and not really hurt it. I have a Big 8" Jaw Vice from England I am wanting to mount on something. This would work for me in my welding area. This is the Vice my father in Law always bought the best now I have it. I could never think of spending this much on one! The Mother in Law wanted to put it in the Yard Sale and I freeked when I saw it and said now I have a old one we can sell if you want this one is worth more then $20.00!! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432221-REG/bessey_bv_df8sb_8_industrial_drop_forged.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmafhBRDUARIsACOKERPBFbLmNe4t8JxlEkluXthTGDdRBCmMUCLwyG-dr9yavkVrAgup0eoaAku_EALw_wcB&smp=Y Good tools are pricey anymore! 8 Vice.jpg Till just now I did not relies how much they cost!!! Glad I looked it up might not go on my welding bench! I have another one I could swap it with on my Wood Working bench. You got a killer deal on that 505A Rock Island Vise they go for way more then that!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Now that is a Real Rolling Bench! I like it you can beat on it and not really hurt it. I have a Big 8" Jaw Vice from England I am wanting to mount on something. This would work for me in my welding area. This is the Vice my father in Law always bought the best now I have it. I could never think of spending this much on one! The Mother in Law wanted to put it in the Yard Sale and I freeked when I saw it and said now I have a old one we can sell if you want this one is worth more then $20.00!! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432221-REG/bessey_bv_df8sb_8_industrial_drop_forged.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmafhBRDUARIsACOKERPBFbLmNe4t8JxlEkluXthTGDdRBCmMUCLwyG-dr9yavkVrAgup0eoaAku_EALw_wcB&smp=Y Good tools are pricey anymore! View attachment 664826 Till just now I did not relies how much they cost!!! Glad I looked it up might not go on my welding bench! I have another one I could swap it with on my Wood Working bench. You got a killer deal on that 505A Rock Island Vise they go for way more then that!!
That Bessey is a beauty.. 8" is the way to go.. very nice vise! Like you said..not for welding..lol..

The way I found my vise was I looked up the misspelling, it was listed under "vice" not "vise"...lol.. I was going through my "vise phase" at the time..lol.. I purchased several different ones.. My plan was to display them...right up until the time my brother started eyeing an old Dunlap I refinished identicaal to this Dunlap Bench Vise #5244 | eBay and it went home with him when he left...lol... The one he took was in just as good of condition and same color with the jaws natural steel..no paint on them..

I'm still eyeing a few on ebay..I may buy another this year after my brother moves to Tennessee.. lol

The thing about buying an old vise like this is.... You really have to look at the casting under the removable part of the jaw. The casting on many extend past the steel jaw..When they were in use and tightened to hold something it would put pressure on the casting and pieces would break off.. The one I have was not broken so I filed the cast back so the steel jaws hold the work and it does not contact the cast.. I could yap all day about them..

I'm retired so anything that don't fit on that bench I really don't want to work on anymore...lol..

fixed my spelling..sorry..lol

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
I will be grabbing it tonight when picking up Grand Ma to take her out to dinner! Some times things have a way of disappearing and I have put picking it up too long. I used to buy and sell on ebay all the time not no more I want my time since I have retired to do my stuff. My welding is for fun and this is my little corner for it. shop2.jpg I spread it out as needed to work on stuff. One reason I liked your rolling table!

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Now that is a Real Rolling Bench! I like it you can beat on it and not really hurt it. I have a Big 8" Jaw Vice from England I am wanting to mount on something. This would work for me in my welding area. This is the Vice my father in Law always bought the best now I have it. I could never think of spending this much on one! The Mother in Law wanted to put it in the Yard Sale and I freeked when I saw it and said now I have a old one we can sell if you want this one is worth more then $20.00!! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432221-REG/bessey_bv_df8sb_8_industrial_drop_forged.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmafhBRDUARIsACOKERPBFbLmNe4t8JxlEkluXthTGDdRBCmMUCLwyG-dr9yavkVrAgup0eoaAku_EALw_wcB&smp=Y Good tools are pricey anymore! View attachment 664826 Till just now I did not relies how much they cost!!! Glad I looked it up might not go on my welding bench! I have another one I could swap it with on my Wood Working bench. You got a killer deal on that 505A Rock Island Vise they go for way more then that!!
A vice that nice should be attached to a fine piece of furniture in your living room. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Excellent work!

Great job. Well thought out in my opinion....:thumbup1gif:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts