Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6x4 Gator has been earning its keep replenishing the wood supply. Pretty handy being able to bring everything with you including the log splitter for the tough pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
:bigthumb: i think u should add a set of sideboards for hauling that wood. :laugh: is that the one where u took 2 gators and made one?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:bigthumb: i think u should add a set of sideboards for hauling that wood. :laugh: is that the one where u took 2 gators and made one?
Yes it is. We still plan on and need to get the second one going. We have found that when you have one Gator and 3 or 4 different jobs that you have to wait your turn.

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
Thats looking good,, yea with 8 or10" added sides then you could haul more...:laugh:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The Gators are hard workers all right...!! Great to see it performing for you now that you got it running well.

If you can get another bed or decide not to fully restore the second Gator, you can always make a second load space for the firewood like I did...

Gator capacity times two.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of bed rails do you guys like? Got some pics? looking for idea's.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Me like the trailer

The Gators are hard workers all right...!! Great to see it performing for you now that you got it running well.

If you can get another bed or decide not to fully restore the second Gator, you can always make a second load space for the firewood like I did...

View attachment 577097

Chuck
Although if it had a dump on it with Original Hubs from Gator it would be VERY NICE! But Like it just the same. It will be a pain to dump the front and drive the trailer over the pile? Need a dump mechanism for the trailer as well. Either way one will need to be hand unloaded. JUST A THOUGHT!
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:
waltmart

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I built the little trailer to allow it to be able to be used on the street -- it is a Harbor Freight frame under there. Since my Gator was the 48 volt electric model, it had no issues with being parked in the attached garage during the "fireplace season" and got unloaded incrementally so it and the trailer rarely got emptied all at once.

I also never got around to putting side extensions on either bed, but that would be a good alternative. I did use bungee cords to keep the wood from shifting on my rather hilly property...

Gator chores.jpg

The real workhorse on the property was a commercial Toro Workman 3200 with 3 cylinder Mitsubishi engine and dump bed with a 2000 lb payload and dual hydraulic lift rams. The 4 wheel hydraulic brakes were a good feature too, as was the fully independent rear suspension.

bed raised.jpg

front quarter view.jpg

...well worth the $425 I paid for it even though it needed tires and seats (plus U-joints and brake work...Engine was sound though even with over 4000 hours on the clock!)

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I welded up an angle iron frame, then 1/2" plywood inserts:

Farm 2015 001 (10).jpg

The hole with the washer at the back of the sides is for a pipe when we use the 35 gallon water tank to keep the tank in when the bed is raised. Also use the holes for bungee cords to hold the lid down:

Pictures 2015 002.jpg

·
Registered
741 Posts
Writing the check for a Gator (or similar side-by-side) is tough but I can't even begin to describe how handy they are. We use ours every single day and they offer more "utility" value than any tractor or implement we own.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Writing the check for a Gator (or similar side-by-side) is tough but I can't even begin to describe how handy they are. We use ours every single day and they offer more "utility" value than any tractor or implement we own.
I feel I would feel the same way if I had any acreage - plus add my handicap. But I just can’t bring myself to see it getting enough use with only 6 acres.

And my wife, who has never been the type to say “no” - but I do always ask her opinion on large purchases to see if I am getting tunnel vision - says that now we are forced to walk as difficult as that may be. With a Gator we would basically stop walking about our property. Once you stop or loose something it is very hard to get it back.

I agree with her when it comes to walking to the barn and around the property. But when it comes time to work on something be it a downed tree, spraying, etc. that is where one would be golden. I use my tractor now for all that but it is very difficult to mount and dismount and doing it multiple times is almost impossible. Plus the fact I can only carry what tools I need in the bucket or on the forks with a pallet.

See how I am trying to talk myself into one again.....??

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes sir!

I built the little trailer to allow it to be able to be used on the street -- it is a Harbor Freight frame under there. Since my Gator was the 48 volt electric model, it had no issues with being parked in the attached garage during the "fireplace season" and got unloaded incrementally so it and the trailer rarely got emptied all at once.

I also never got around to putting side extensions on either bed, but that would be a good alternative. I did use bungee cords to keep the wood from shifting on my rather hilly property...

View attachment 579641

The real workhorse on the property was a commercial Toro Workman 3200 with 3 cylinder Mitsubishi engine and dump bed with a 2000 lb payload and dual hydraulic lift rams. The 4 wheel hydraulic brakes were a good feature too, as was the fully independent rear suspension.

View attachment 579649

View attachment 579657

...well worth the $425 I paid for it even though it needed tires and seats (plus U-joints and brake work...Engine was sound though even with over 4000 hours on the clock!)

Chuck

WOW, :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb: thumbs U on that price, YEP ONE HECK OF A DEAL, Jump N Don't Look Back,

The electric doesn't have the traction that the 6X4 have, Do they have the torque of either gas or diesel? JUST CURIOUS
THANKS

waltmart

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I welded up an angle iron frame, then 1/2" plywood inserts:

View attachment 579737

The hole with the washer at the back of the sides is for a pipe when we use the 35 gallon water tank to keep the tank in when the bed is raised. Also use the holes for bungee cords to hold the lid down:

View attachment 579745
That's nice looking, grnspot. How is it fastened down? My 6x4 has stake pockets that I thought I would use.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
That's nice looking, grnspot. How is it fastened down? My 6x4 has stake pockets that I thought I would use.
Bolted to the top rail, if I remember right!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Waltmart,

The 48 volt drive system has plenty of grunt...those familiar with electric drive are aware that the electric traction motor has maximum torque at the lowest speed (just the opposite of a turbo on most small displacement engines...) Remember the original air cooled gas 2x4 turf Gator was only 10 hp, and of course the little round fender classic Deere garden tractors are that or less. Diesel and water cooled Gator models had a fair bit more at 18 hp each -- but as you point out traction is the limiting factor for most of the work you want to do.

The traction on the Electric Gator is actually a bit higher than the 4x2 gas models since the weight of the batteries is substantial and centered over the drive axle. My property was pretty hilly and we never had issues except on wet grass/lawns (and this was with Multi-Trac C/S turf tires.

The biggest drawback of the early Gator models (all of them) was the mechanical brakes on only the rear wheels. The Workman Pictured in my last post has 4 wheel hydraulic brakes and a two speed final drive so it is far more heavy duty worker hands down -- but my wife hated the clutch and manual box on the hills. The power steering was nice though...

Chuck

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hauled a couple more loads with the gator today. Got a couple more to haul tomorrow. Still no side racks yet.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
I like your post. :thumbup1gif:
If it came down to the tractor/implements or our Gator, it would be a tough call but I'd have to keep the tractor. That being said, I'd sell one of our vehicles before I'd give up either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts