Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's quite a claim and obviously my opinion :) On my 1025r my transmission filter was a BEAR and this clever tool made it very easy with no screwdrivers or damage. I hope you find the video interesting and if nothing else you can see an unusual tool from my collection of oddities.

Best wishes

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
This is what I use. $12.99 at Sears Sears.com A little cheaper at Wally World.
oil filter wrench.jpg

There is no way I could use the Facom wrench shown in the video. The Facom wrench requires that you be able to have access to the side of the filter and in most of the vehicles of today, there is not enough clearance. See the below pic of the filter location on my 4066R. The oil filter wrench I use allows me to use a extension with my ratchet and remove this hard to get to filter easily. This oil filter wrench has never failed me. I have tried many over the years and this is the only one that has always worked. I can remember many years ago having to stick a screwdriver through the filter to be able to turn it and get it off the engine, because the filter wrench failed to work. By the way, this pic does not show the loader with it's hose mounts that are in the way.

4066R engine oil filter.jpg

The Facom wrench looks like a nice tool, but I just don't think it is practical in most applications, at least for me. And I have not even considered the price.

Dave

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi All
Hi ddinham I'm with you, I use the same wrench as you, I can get both filters off my 1025R with it. I cannot use the Facom type wrench on the engine filter as the side protection rails of my Burder loader get in the way.
Regards John

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to use that adjustable 3 prong one but it started going bad on me slipping. The Facom considering it will likely last forever is worth the price in my opinion for how well it works. But You are absolutely right for the engine oil filter I actually use a Honda branded fixed tool that fits the filter perfectly. I just use an extension with a t-handle and the filter always comes off pretty easily. The versatility of the Facom is nice too. It definitely isn't cheap but none of this tractor is :)

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I used to use that adjustable 3 prong one but it started going bad on me slipping. The Facom considering it will likely last forever is worth the price in my opinion for how well it works. But You are absolutely right for the engine oil filter I actually use a Honda branded fixed tool that fits the filter perfectly. I just use an extension with a t-handle and the filter always comes off pretty easily. The versatility of the Facom is nice too. It definitely isn't cheap but none of this tractor is :)
We definitely appreciate you showing us the Facom. I always like seeing new designs for certain tools. When it comes to oil filter wrenches it always pays to have a few different styles in the toolbox.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts
We definitely appreciate you showing us the Facom. I always like seeing new designs for certain tools. When it comes to oil filter wrenches it always pays to have a few different styles in the toolbox.
Yes, exactly. I'd never heard of this wrench. I think it has some good applications, the price point may be a little hard to swallow for most folks though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If I have to use a wrench to get it off, it was put on too tight at the start. That at least applies to all oil filters right? I've been doing 3/4 turn past gasket touching my whole life, and I've never had to use a wrench on an oil filter that I installed. None ever leaked either. Do fuel and hydraulic oil filters require higher clamping force at the gasket?

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
If I have to use a wrench to get it off, it was put on too tight at the start. That at least applies to all oil filters right? I've been doing 3/4 turn past gasket touching my whole life, and I've never had to use a wrench on an oil filter that I installed. None ever leaked either. Do fuel and hydraulic oil filters require higher clamping force at the gasket?
Most of the JD manuals recommend 1/2 - 3/4 turn for the engine and hydraulic filters. The tightest I've encountered is the spin on fuel filter which wants 1-full turn after gasket contact.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Without being able to angle the wrench makes it useless to me. Works great on filters that aren’t installed on machines I guess.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
:bigthumb: True.

I have never found a filter wrench that works on all filters.

That wrench has great technology, but unless the filter is positioned with plenty of room to work with, I don't see it being used in many applications.

It was stated in the video that it has very little to do with the regular Strap Wrench. :laugh: I think is has more to do with a Strap Wrench, because it is a Strap Wrench.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All great points. I really like sharing the videos from my workshop. I have probably bought more tools than I need but that's probably not the worst habit someone could have :) - Feel free to subscribe also I have some other cool tool videos as well as tech repair ones too. I just put up one today on my Italian Micro Torque Wrench. More to come I hope! Thanks for the nice words.

Best wishes

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I can see where that is useful when there is very little clearance for a good portion of the filter body like on modern GM small block V8s. For everything else my favorite is this from HF, cost less than $10.

image_16357.jpg

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I use the Lisle 63600 for 75% of the modern smaller size 2 1/2" - 3 1/8" filters. From the chebby to the 1025.
$10.76 on Amazon.

View attachment 514433
That's what I use too and find that I have clearance problems on both my wife's Suburban and my Camaro. It gets the job done but I just don't like how tight it is against the oil pan. Prolly won't spend the money on the Facom, but for that use I'd think it would be better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts