Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been grading my backyard with a box blade. Cleared quite a bit of trees. After clearing, I started rough grading to find stumps that were missed by guy grinding or weren't grinded enough. Plucked them all out and everything was good. While grading back and forth, box blade hit a stump and I started to dig it out. There was an approximate 4" round stump sticking up. After digging, it was a small piece of a major tree or a mixture of trees with the stumps in a major cluster. Dug around it and have a guy coming in to grind it. While operating, was going in reverse and backed into the crater. Box blade was dead on top of the stump so rear wheels were suspended, front wheels spun. I was able to get out. Worked the 3 point lever up and down and used the FEL to raise lower and help me get out. Now it seems that when I am operating with the box blade, I have to push the lever more to have it come up. It might be me reading into it. I felt that before this I could feather the blade up under load and now it doesn't feather up unless I push the lever a bit and it comes up a lot. I put the machine on level ground and raised and lowered the three point. The first 1/4 of the lever does nothing when raising, but when lowering box blade on concrete it will lift the rear of the tractor a bit so I feel that's part of the dig in range. Took implement off and everything seems to raise and lower fine except for a little vibration noise. Those 3pt arms on the tractor do have a Little slop but snap rings are in and looks ok. Question is, if tractor was suspended by box blade on stump and FEL out side of ditch, would that weight damage my three point lift mechanism. Do they either work or fail? Did throw the lift lever back and forth while suspended and trying to get out. It had no effect with raising or lowering the tractor. but wondering if that kind of weight on the 3poimt lift could have affected anything. Have had so many little problems that were covered and many I fixed myself, hope I didn't screw anything up. Should have been paying more attention while going in reverse. Hopefully it's just me but it doesn't seem to feather up under load with box blade full utilL I lift it quit a bit.

Would really appreciate Any thoughts.

Tnx, Don

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3pt

My previous post on the 3 pt bolt breaking happened days after what I just posted above. Not related.

Reactions: Levi and bob

·
Premium Member
12,705 Posts
The first 1/4 of the lever does nothing when raising, but when lowering box blade on concrete it will lift the rear of the tractor a bit so I feel that's part of the dig in range.
Lowering the 3PH lifts the rear of the tractor?

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wrong words, doesn't lift it.

With the box blade attached and the lever is thrown to the full lower position, I could see the rear wheels have less pressure. In other words the wheels are on the ground and touching the ground but I can see that the implement in full down slightly reduces weight of tractor on rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
14,887 Posts
when lowering box blade on concrete it will lift the rear of the tractor a bit

Lowering the 3PH lifts the rear of the tractor?
News to me !!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Your 3. has NO LIFT. ( Down Force)

Likely your BB is just heavy & it appears that it lifts tractor when you lower BB on concrete.

In actuality its your tractor taking a deep breath cause its tired of holding up 4-600 lbs.

To test this theory of yours.;

1. unhook BB from tractor.

2. lower 3. arms ALL the way ( this would be your "lift" position)

3. You should be able to grab both arms and pick them up to there highest position.

If not......were gonna need pictures.

:munch:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

check the flow control knob.....should be behind your seat. Is on my 955.....you don't say which model you have.

Perhaps you bumped it and that has changed your " feel" of the BB.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks duke

Going to do it now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checkup

Duke, box blade off, shut off tractor and was able to lift with my hands the entire linkage to the top. Fired up tractor, threw lever back and forth, 3 pt went up and down. going to spin the drop knob tomorrow and repeatedly move it up and down under different drop settings. Was uncomfortable with box blade hung up on stump and rear wheels spinning put. Lotta weight on that 3pt lift mechanism. Hopefully it's my perception and I can chalk one off for the good guys. Tractor going back for a tie rod boot that fell off, a diff pedal linkage issue and a few other minor things. Hoping I don't have a lift issue but want to address it. Thanks again!

Don

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Next time you get your BB hung up on a stump or whatever.

Stop what your doing and tighten your Top Link....This will raise it more.
Then tighten the arms ( verticle ones) one side should have a big wingnut looking thing on it . Right side looking from the rear.
The other side usually has to be unhooked on one end to tighten.

If that dosen't give enough room to get Un stuck. Just ( TRY )to remove the BB completly and drag it out with the FEL or whatever.

The 3. arms can and will bend...usually when useing the BB in reverse.
I see you broke a stabilizer....join the club. Mine are/were 55$
I've repaired a few to better/stronger than new but I also am a bit more carefull now. Those are kinda a fuse to keep from busting more expensive parts ..in my mind anyway.

Add your tractor model to your Signature ....then we know what model your referring to when you post..just a thought.

Dan in Oregon

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
56,jgay and the duke

thanks again for your help. I'm out of service till I get that link, totally shut down. i was operating for days after questioning the 3pt lift and a bolt sheared! hopefully my part will be in tomorrow and I will be back in service. Duke, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Back in service, but 3 pt question.

Picked up lower arm sway turnbuckle bolt that sheared. Replaced it, hooked up my new land scape rake and fooled around with it a bit. Switched back to the box blade and put the scarificers down a little and went back to taking out small roots. Have one question for anyone with a 1025. When operating with box blade, rake or any other 3pt implement, I don't get any raising action until the lever is pulled back at least 1/4-1/3 of the way. I have pulled into my garage on level surface and turned the top link to give max height on the implement and I still get no upward movement of the implement till The lever is at least 1/4-1/3 back. Is that normal?

Wondering if I caused that when I got hung up on that stump. It's going back to the dealer to replace a rubber bushing that fell off the tie rod. When I sent them an email to schedule, I asked them to check out the three point lift mechanism. If the tech fires it up with no implement and throws the lever he will simply see the hitch go up and down. But under load, there is no lift until 1/4-1/3 back and it seems to go up in slight steps instead of smooth. Hopefully it's fine, but if anyone with a similar tractor can compare and give advice, would appreciate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
do you have a drop-off anywhere on your property? if so, back up to it, and drop the hitch all the way, i bet it goes further down than you realize. the 3 point is designed to go lower than just setting the box blade on the ground.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With no implement, get no lift until lever is 1/4-1/3 back

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reaches full height

Yes, hitch reaches full height. Wanted to compare with other 1025 owners if 3pt liftt starts rising when one starts pulling the lever towards the rear. Mine works but do not get lift until lever is abt 1/4 way back.

Tnx, Don

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Check the linkage that your 3. lift lever hooks to.

It may have loosend up during your event when you got stuck and wereworking the lever back and forth trying to unstick the tractor.

I had a similar issue with my 955.

Lever bolted to another lever and yet to another with some adjusting links on it.

Get a good light and peek down in there while moving the lever . Basicly see what moves and what don't.

Probly a simple fix. Tighten a bolt/nut or 2.

:munch:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine does the same thing. The pins on the side of the box blade are higher than the lowest position of the 3 point arms, thus there is no lift of the box blade until the lever is pulled back to where the arms would be lifted above the height of the pins with no load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Oh, didn't see the post about with no implement. Sorry, mine lifts pretty much immediately without an implement

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This isn't a problem or very complicated...when you set the box blade down, the 3pt arms are held up higher than as far down as they would drop with nothing on them. Imagine that the position of your 3pt control lever is directly related to how high the lift arms are off the ground. If the box blade is holding them up 25% of how far they will lift, you will need to move the control lever more than 25% before they lift the box off the ground. Also, as people said, there is no down force with a 3pt, when you set the box down the tractor will feel like it lifts slightly from having the weight relieved off of it. I don't think you have anything broken

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 20 of 24 Posts