Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are JD-recommended greases (a couple of different kinds, evidently). I also have some other things that routinely need greasing (JD riding mower, 1991 Isuzu Trooper, utility trailer axle bearings, etc) and I'd like to standardize the grease to one kind for everything if that sort of thing is possible.

My 1025R is the newest and most expensive thing that I have to grease. To be honest, I don't really know what kind of grease I have put in my Trooper joints and universals over time, or in my trailer bearings. I am certain that whatever it is, what was stated on the label was deemed "heavy duty all purpose grease."

Is there a grease type that I can safely choose to grease all of these things going forward, that a) meet the needs of the 1025R, vehicles and trailers, and b) won't be a terrible mistake mixing with whatever "general purpose" grease I already have in these items? That way I can simplify my life by using one grease type, use one power grease gun, and keep things adequately lubed and protected.

Thanks up front - I read a lot of grease threads and only got a headache!

Eric

·
Registered
673 Posts
Valvoline Ford/Lincoln moly will work for most anything. It won't stay in loader or backhoe pins like a dedicated 5% moly but it will be way better than nothing and will be fine if you grease pins more often.

I use it in my trailer bearings still but i have switched to 5% moly for my backhoe because it lasts longer. It is not recommended for bearings though.

I have some trailer bearings with who knows how many thousands of miles on them with the Valvoline grease in them. Both in a utility trailer and a car trailer. NEVER had a bearing fail and I have never cleaned and repacked them. I just shoot some in the caps once a year. I built my utility trailer in 1993 and my car trailer was purchased in 2006.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Any grease is better than no grease.

For all the equipment you have listed a good quality NLGI #2 EP grease will work just fine.

Try to stick with one brand and type and stay consistent with it that way you don't have to worry about grease compatibility over time.

Chances are you've always been using a lithium based grease. There's no compelling reason to switch to anything different. None of the grease joints you are lubing will notice the difference.

I prefer synthetic greases and oils so that what I use. Currently I have Shell Rotella grease because I got a few tubes on clearance at tractor supply for like 2 bucks a tube. It's enough to last me a few years.

Again the most important thing with grease is taking the time to do it as a regular service. No really reason to get too picky about what exact brand to use.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
I run one grease at a time, except when I had a boat.

If you care enough to grease it, the grease you choose has little effect on the end result.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I use Mobil 1 grease for most everything. It’s one of the few greases that seems to hold up in my boat trailer bearings. Water gets them as they get completely submerged every time the boat gets launched. I seldom use my loader and I grease it just about every time I use it. If I was putting lots of hours on the loader I’d probably not not use a multi purpose grease.

·
Registered
879 Posts
What I noticed when figuring out what grease to buy was that what JD specifically calls out seems to be dependent on where you look up the information (owner's manual/Maintenance minder sheets/Shop manual). Sometimes they called out SD Polyurea Grease, sometimes HD Lithium Complex Grease. And then they also state that a grease that meets the 'NLGI grade No. 2 rating' is acceptable - which is what I've always used for lubing suspension parts, universal joints, etc. If your manual has a similar statement then IMO any name brand NLGI-2 will do the trick.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
This is what I use for everything, except if I need to pump some gun grease into a gear box that is leaking. Then I use the cheapest grease I can get.

One size fits all. As you can see I bought a case of 10 from Amazon. I got tired of running out and I am 30 miles from the nearest dealer.

Dave

·
Administrator
20,128 Posts
Right, wrong to indifferent, I too use the JD Polyurea for everything.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I use Lube-Shuttle MoS2 for everything.

rob

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
For me, I don't think one grease per household is enough. :D

One for roller bearing things that rotate fast like driveshaft U joints and trailer wheel bearings. Wheel bearings need GC-LB certification. NGLI #2 is the thickness for my area.

The other is for things that slide and rotate slowly such as splined slip yokes. This I prefer a high moly grease in NLGI #2 thickness.

For my go-to NGLI #2 GCLB I use Castrol Pyroplex Red. For my slip yokes I go with Castrol Pyroplex Gold which is 6 percent moly. Cat 452-6001 Extreme application grease is a good 5% moly grease also.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,572 Posts

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
After careful research and hours of reading, I have a very scientific method of choosing grease, I use whatever.
I wish I didn’t mix and match, but you’d be surprised how many tractor sellers have a couple tubes of grease to throw in. I’ve been using JD poly for a while, but I think there’s only one tube left, then a couple of something red.

In general you can run into compatibility issues though, when you mix the wrong types it can increase paste/sludge products, and that can shorten life/reduce effectiveness. It’s still better then not greasing, but something to keep in mind. I buy well used equipment so I justify mix and match because I have no idea what everything already has in it.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,572 Posts
Is that what you tell her while cleaning?
Absolutely, though our respective idea of often is significantly different.
ROTFLMAO.gif

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I try to grease everything regularly. Not as good at it as I should be though.
I got a 5x8 Texas utility trailer in May 1986. I must have at least 10k miles on it by now. It doesn't get used a lot and sometimes not every year. I just realized recently I have never greased the bearings when I went to hook it up the other day. I plan to just replace the bearings, races and seals once I figure out the right ones to get.
Or maybe I'll just grease the current ones good and get another 35 years out of it.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
I'm like several others, not too picky about grease however. . . one time I put moly grease on a boat steering shaft that was exposed to salt water. I learned that salt water and moly are not compatible as it turned into your basic rock. There are a few places where extreme pressure grease is necessary but most of the time any grease will do, certainly better than no grease.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts