Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a drainage ditch along my property line, for storm water, and either leave it as a wide but shallow swail, or better would be to bury a 6" pipe, gradually sloped toward the back. It would be about 120'. I am thinking of doing this myself, instead of hiring a contrastor, but I do not have a backhoe. I do have a front end loader, and a quick attach fork lift, for my JD4100 tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfKuyboI0Ps

Would something like this be suitable for a trenching? These are not available anymore, but there is a bolt-on model from another company. Is there another attachment that would work better? Seems to me I saw a ytube video of a guy, in Norway I think, who used a middlebuster with something like half a plow blade attached, on his 3 pt hitch. When he drove forward, it dug a nice trench about 6" wide, and piled all the dirt up on the right side of the ditch. Anyone know about that?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The tractor in the video is easily 5X the horsepower of a JD 4100,,,
and maybe more than 5X the weight,,,

It takes big hp and weight to dig in most soil conditions,,,

I guess what I am saying is,,,, "There is no such thing as a free lunch",,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
Making a swail I would do myself with bucket and toothbar. For a 120' ditch to burry a pipe I would rent/hire a small trackhoe. Check the price for renting a small trackhoe for a day.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I can see utilizing a middlebuster to dig the trench, then your loader to clear it out and to bury the pipe if you aren't going too deep. A backhoe would work best. It will take you longer, but you could get it done.

You have a tractor and you want to use it. Go ahead and use it, that's what I say. I dug out massive stumps with just a 1023E and a piranha tooth bar. It took me a couple of days, but I got it done.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Pretty much what I thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts