Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a trailer but my budget is limited. I found this and think it might work. I could possibly get a second axel for it and I'm pretty handy with a welder. The biggest load would be my 4010 with*FEL, brush hog and box blade. I figure that's right around 2800lbs. Most of my trips would be to my deer lease 25 miles away on a two lane country highway and about 4 miles down a dirt road. Probably take that trip 3-4 times a year tops.

https://littlerock.craigslist.org/tro/5991249148.html

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
I need a trailer but my budget is limited. I found this and think it might work. I could possibly get a second axel for it and I'm pretty handy with a welder. The biggest load would be my 4010 with*FEL, brush hog and box blade. I figure that's right around 2800lbs. Most of my trips would be to my deer lease 25 miles away on a two lane country highway and about 4 miles down a dirt road. Probably take that trip 3-4 times a year tops.

well that's not such a bad price for it. but my youngest son just bought a axle for a customers trailer. it was a 3500 hundred pound axle with brakes and wheels was around $700. then u need a set of springs, and the hardware for the second axle. his axle he bought was a strange axle to me. it went on a Triton aluminum trailer,30 footer, 3 axle, no springs on it. trailer was used to haul snowmobiles. i think i would keep looking for a tandem axle trailer for ur needs, and no shorter than a 16 footer-ok. good luck

·
Registered
401 Posts

I would ask the guy how it tows empty down the road. From the looks of it the axle is in the center of the trailer. That would mean there is not much tongue weight , and trailers like to wiggle around with no tongue weight. Also check to see if any leaf springs are broken.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,047 Posts
Nope I wouldn't.
How old is the trailer?
3500 lb axle doesn't mean much if the frame is only good for 2000 lbs.
A tire blow out is going to be tough to fix if the trailer is loaded vs a dual axle.
Will probably need a rear support stand for loading.
How much is your equipment worth?
I'd want brakes.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I figure that's right around 2800lbs.
I wouldn't. Keep in mind that it has one 3500 lb axle. Subtract out what the trailer weighs and that's what you're left with for cargo capacity. I would guess that if you loaded 2800 lbs on it, you'd be over it's capacity.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That trailer doesn't look to be built heavy enough regardless of the axle capacity. Could be a single 5k axle and I'd still hate to load much more than a couple light weight zero turns on it.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Keep shopping. I don't think 5' wide is going to be enough. I bought a 6'X10' just so my 54" deck would fit. Really wanted a 14' long one but I didn't think my tow vehicle could handle it.

Also that trailer doesn't look heavy duty enough for your tractor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not familiar with your tractor so I can't comment on the weight limits. I bought an 18' car hauler with steal deck from a dealer for $900. I knew it had a bent axle so I replaced them both. The axles were $150 each. The U-bolt kit was $20 per axle. A spare wheel and radial tire was another $100. A break axle was $300 each had I needed all new brakes. Parts may be cheaper in your area but it's something to consider. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
No, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
438 Posts
well that's not such a bad price for it. but my youngest son just bought a axle for a customers trailer. it was a 3500 hundred pound axle with brakes and wheels was around $700. then u need a set of springs, and the hardware for the second axle. his axle he bought was a strange axle to me. it went on a Triton aluminum trailer,30 footer, 3 axle, no springs on it. trailer was used to haul snowmobiles. i think i would keep looking for a tandem axle trailer for ur needs, and no shorter than a 16 footer-ok. good luck
Hey BigJim...the type of axle you reference is a torsion tube axle. Google TorFlex axles and you'll see what they are. I have them on both my 16' flat deck dual axle and my 6x12 enclosed bike trailer. They cost a bit more but they ride do much smoother than spring suspended axles...with no connecting links/bolts/bushings to wear out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
11,379 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That one looks like a far better choice. Now to cut off the tire rack so your tractor will fit. lol
I'll put my Box under it and it's big enough that the loader will fit on top of the box I think. If not, the thing is held in place by 4 hitch pins and slides right off. :good2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts