Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, how many out there would be willing to rent their SCUT or would potentially opt to rent a smaller unit from an individual?

Sounds far fetched at the moment - but there is now an app for things that would have seemed far fetched 5 years ago that have wide acceptance (food delivery, uber/Lyft) and letting strangers rent a room in your house.

We now have sites to rent your vehicle, your boat and your RV. Won't be long until someone at Takl or one of these task apps gets into the tractor rental biz.

To me, the only barrier for most is trailering. A car you can drive anywhere - a boat is typically docked on water and RV renters of campers either can be driven or are rented by people with trucks already mainly.

Figure a solution (i/e the service handles transport for both parties as part of their fee) and I think it works for everyone. Even now, I'd say at least 25% of owners have truck and trailer to deliver.

What would it take to get you to turn the keys over to someone else? Assume insurance is standard in booking (including mechanical damage discovered a few days post rental). To me it would have to return at least $300 a day and include an hour limit and outline of planned usage (extreme variance with evidence would garner a large penalty and ban from service penalty). What else would you like to see ? What about renters - plenty of options out there now with commercial rental companies - but assuming you could cut the cost in half renting privately - would you give some consideration to a flexible service?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Absolutely NOT

Been there done that.

Nothing to gain but wrecked relationships.

If a "friend " needs something....Go do it for them and You operate it.

I don't borrow....and try not to lend any tools etc.

Its a recipe for disaster...

From a rental yard....No Problem.....insure it and Go

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
i wouldn't rent my own tractor to just anyone out there, but.............i have rented the neighbors dozer a couple of times. his boy told me i was the first person he ever left on it, as it was pretty new then. rented it like 3 or 4 times over the last 16 yrs here.

i did rent a small excavator from a rental place -not a bad deal at all. i took out insurance on it, like if it caught on fire.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I wouldnt have a problem renting something from a company but, never from an individual due to the 'hey, thats not how I gave it to you' syndrome

As for renting mine out.....never happen in a million years. (and I dont even have one yet) :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Rent?

I would rent equipment for use but would not rent out my equipment. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be checking and repairing my tractor from someone else using it. If I had 10 tractors, a shop and a mechanic on staff that's different. It's just me, no shop and not enough tractors.

The downside to renting equipment from an individual is you need to be dang sure it's a tight contract so you don't get charged for something you didn't expect. As a renter, you actually need to read the contract anyway but companies have a lot more invested in their reputation than an individual does.

I'm looking at renting a skid steer now from a small company.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Rent equipment? Of course

Rent MY equipment? NFW

Exactly. I don't even know that I'd rent from an individual. I have no problem with renting from someplace like Sunbelt rentals or a dealer.

Rent mine out? That's not happening.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Responses about in line with what I expected...of course I wouldn't expect anything different if asking members here their opinion on renting out their rec product or truck - citing same concerns.

Also shows ALOT of difference in how certain age groups view ownership and peer to peer rental-sharing.

Ask a 20_35 year old and I think you get a pretty high acceptance of the tech...over 50 and it is near zero in general. I'm somewhere in the middle age and opinion wise.

Personally, would I rent out my car, no. Too many places out there doing it professionally and I can't beat them on price or service...same with renting strangers a room night to night.

Now bigger things that see limited use - right price, possibly. I mean worst case, something is returned damaged - your covered, including your downtime/lost rental. That's going to be the stumbling block for most owners...we've all loaned things to "that" neighbor and dealt with their negligence/stupidity. Difference here is someone's actually insuring them - holding a deposit and providing the insurance.

Hell, a rental car company will entrust you with a 50k vehicle with just a few hundred dollar hold on your debit card and an electric bill these days....and they remain profitable. How hard can it be to turn a profit on a 20k tractor with 1500 security and renting it for 400 a day splitting 60/40 in the owners favor.

Everyone seems to think the moment someone else touches "their" equipment - it will be ruined. Oddly, these same people are the same ones who buy used stuff...and brag how it's only ever been gently used by a little old farmer on weekends to mow his yard.

Something has to be off here to me. Odds are in favor of people NOT destroying things in my opinion. Stuff today is built better and gives an immediate sign when you did something you shouldn't have. There will always be idiots...but those jokers are probably already flagged by the big rental companies and easy enough to weed out. Risk-reward is the name of the game. Gotta take some risk. As a start up with big margins, it actually might be doable. Investors love ideas with big margins - even if they aren't immediately profitable.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
You can rent it but you're renting me with it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
People that are ..ignorant to equipment...just don't have a clue what may have happened or what may happen to Your equipment in the future. FurtHermore do they care??

These phone addicted ftards don't know the right end of a cresent wrench much less what a dip stick is.

Hire yourself out ,or start a rental buisness with big insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Not against the idea

Responses about in line with what I expected...of course I wouldn't expect anything different if asking members here their opinion on renting out their rec product or truck - citing same concerns.

Also shows ALOT of difference in how certain age groups view ownership and peer to peer rental-sharing.

Ask a 20_35 year old and I think you get a pretty high acceptance of the tech...over 50 and it is near zero in general. I'm somewhere in the middle age and opinion wise.

Personally, would I rent out my car, no. Too many places out there doing it professionally and I can't beat them on price or service...same with renting strangers a room night to night.

Now bigger things that see limited use - right price, possibly. I mean worst case, something is returned damaged - your covered, including your downtime/lost rental. That's going to be the stumbling block for most owners...we've all loaned things to "that" neighbor and dealt with their negligence/stupidity. Difference here is someone's actually insuring them - holding a deposit and providing the insurance.

Hell, a rental car company will entrust you with a 50k vehicle with just a few hundred dollar hold on your debit card and an electric bill these days....and they remain profitable. How hard can it be to turn a profit on a 20k tractor with 1500 security and renting it for 400 a day splitting 60/40 in the owners favor.

Everyone seems to think the moment someone else touches "their" equipment - it will be ruined. Oddly, these same people are the same ones who buy used stuff...and brag how it's only ever been gently used by a little old farmer on weekends to mow his yard.

Something has to be off here to me. Odds are in favor of people NOT destroying things in my opinion. Stuff today is built better and gives an immediate sign when you did something you shouldn't have. There will always be idiots...but those jokers are probably already flagged by the big rental companies and easy enough to weed out. Risk-reward is the name of the game. Gotta take some risk. As a start up with big margins, it actually might be doable. Investors love ideas with big margins - even if they aren't immediately profitable.
Hmmm, maybe I misunderstood the question. I looked at it from a personal viewpoint where maybe the question was whether such an ap/business would actually work.

I don't know if it would work but my crystal ball in those things is notoriously cloudy and/or broken. Did I see Facebook, Lyft, etc. coming? Nope and I'm the poorer for it- literally. There are some pretty big hurdles but if it was easy, everyone could do it. If you are willing to take the risk, there may be big reward or you might end up with broken equipment or worse- think a client that kills himself on your equipment and his family sues you for failing to properly inform him/maintain the equipment or some other thing.

It is risk-reward. If you are willing to take the risk, you might be rewarded big time. It's your equipment, your risk. Heck, I might even rent from you but no, I won't put my equipment out for rent.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts

IMO you are not looking at the whole picture. Sure a rental car company will trust you with a $50K car. But you have to show them a drivers license first. They have some evidence that you've driven a car before. They can run your license through the state and check to see how many violations you've had. How many people that are going to rent your tractor have ever operated one before? The only way you're going to know who does or doesn't damage equipment its to rent it to them and wait to see what you get back.

And the next time your in an airport and pop into the Hertz or Avis counter to pick up a car, try refusing the one they offer you and tell the clerk that you want THEIR personal car. See what they say. Cars are a business asset for the car rental companies. Your asking this in a forum where the vast majority of us own a tractor for our own personal use, not as a business asset. Plus, with something like a car rental, they self-insure their cars PLUS most people have their own insurance that covers at least some damages AND they up-sell you additional insurance to the desk. Can you afford to self-insure your tractor? Would your renters also have their own insurance that you could bill for damages too?

I could rely on your insurance. But as a lot if Uber/Lyft drivers have found out, the insurance Uber and Lyft offer sucks. How do I know your's is any good?

Odds might be in favor of people not destroying your machine. Maybe that's true. But what are those odds? Will 1 out of 20 destroy it? 1 out of 100? If you only have 1 tractor, what do you do after the 1,000th renter destroys it? The car rental companies have thousands of cars. They just shove the broken one off to the side until they can unload it and they give out a different car. I only have 1 tractor. I don't have another one to give to the next customer. And if mine get s destroyed, I no longer have one for my own needs.

There are companies that already do this. Sunbelt Rentals is probably the largest. From what I can see they aren't exactly making mint renting out compact tractors to homeowners. I don't see how some rental app is going to bring me enough business to make it worth my while to take the risk of damage on top of the increased routine maintenance costs.

And we haven't even gotten into discussion of regulatory crap. In my state the renter would have to have a hoisting license in order to rent a piece of equipment that can lift 500 lbs or more to a height of 4ft. That limits who can rent one to pretty much no one. The companies that do rent them can offer a 14-day temp hoisting license by running the renter through a class. Who's going to offer those classes? And then if I'm renting out my tractor I have to get it registered as a commercial vehicle. I have to pay for that and the insurance rates that go with it (even though it would only cover me while I'm operating...).

You say you wouldn't rent out your car because you can't beat the big guys on price. I can rent a 3033R from Sunbelt Rentals for $249/day. You're talking $400/day. So how are you going to get your rates down to compete with Sunbelt?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Home Depot rents small TLB Kubota's and small mini ex's

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
IMO you are not looking at the whole picture. Sure a rental car company will trust you with a $50K car. But you have to show them a drivers license first. They have some evidence that you've driven a car before. They can run your license through the state and check to see how many violations you've had. How many people that are going to rent your tractor have ever operated one before? The only way you're going to know who does or doesn't damage equipment its to rent it to them and wait to see what you get back.

And the next time your in an airport and pop into the Hertz or Avis counter to pick up a car, try refusing the one they offer you and tell the clerk that you want THEIR personal car. See what they say. Cars are a business asset for the car rental companies. Your asking this in a forum where the vast majority of us own a tractor for our own personal use, not as a business asset. Plus, with something like a car rental, they self-insure their cars PLUS most people have their own insurance that covers at least some damages AND they up-sell you additional insurance to the desk. Can you afford to self-insure your tractor? Would your renters also have their own insurance that you could bill for damages too?

I could rely on your insurance. But as a lot if Uber/Lyft drivers have found out, the insurance Uber and Lyft offer sucks. How do I know your's is any good?

Odds might be in favor of people not destroying your machine. Maybe that's true. But what are those odds? Will 1 out of 20 destroy it? 1 out of 100? If you only have 1 tractor, what do you do after the 1,000th renter destroys it? The car rental companies have thousands of cars. They just shove the broken one off to the side until they can unload it and they give out a different car. I only have 1 tractor. I don't have another one to give to the next customer. And if mine get s destroyed, I no longer have one for my own needs.

There are companies that already do this. Sunbelt Rentals is probably the largest. From what I can see they aren't exactly making mint renting out compact tractors to homeowners. I don't see how some rental app is going to bring me enough business to make it worth my while to take the risk of damage on top of the increased routine maintenance costs.

And we haven't even gotten into discussion of regulatory crap. In my state the renter would have to have a hoisting license in order to rent a piece of equipment that can lift 500 lbs or more to a height of 4ft. That limits who can rent one to pretty much no one. The companies that do rent them can offer a 14-day temp hoisting license by running the renter through a class. Who's going to offer those classes? And then if I'm renting out my tractor I have to get it registered as a commercial vehicle. I have to pay for that and the insurance rates that go with it (even though it would only cover me while I'm operating...).

You say you wouldn't rent out your car because you can't beat the big guys on price. I can rent a 3033R from Sunbelt Rentals for $249/day. You're talking $400/day. So how are you going to get your rates down to compete with Sunbelt?
Well said Jim :thumbup1gif:

That said, I would never rent/loan out my equipment to anyone. As others have said, and as I have said before, I will help almost anyone and not ask a dime in return, but it is my butt in the seat. Plus as mentioned, there are many liabilities that can be involved, much the reason in NY that you either have to purchase additional insurance or put it on your own auto policy when renting a car. I'm definitely not opposed to renting equipment, but from a reputable company only.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Im with the others here.....I will help anyone within reason without charging them but, they arent getting my truck, my tractor nor my tools. I go with it as a package deal or, they can go find another one.

As a mechanic by trade, I can do a brake job in my driveway in an hour or so and make the same money as renting out my pickup truck so, why take the chance that it doesnt come back the way it went out. Sorry but to me it isn't a generational thing either.
Im 57 and have always had pickup trucks. Never loaned them out in my 20's and certainly wont do it now.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Something else to consider, virtually all of the companies you listed operate at a loss and the owner of the equipment makes next to nothing. Abusing a rental car can/is done but no where near as often/extreme as the abuses I see on rental equipment. Drive that backhoe 1/2 under water so you can use the rear bucket as pile driver for a dock... Our JD tractors aren’t built as tough as construction equipment either, so the chances of damage when renting seems increased.

I’m in that 20-35 demographic, and there are plenty of us that realize that this type of company isn’t something sustainable or good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Not happenin. My grandson is still pissed I won’t let him mow with the tractor yet. I just yesterday smoothed out a couple driveways because some kids (young adults) with a go kart thought is was a fun idea to tear through them fishtailing everywhere leaving the gravel a mess. Sheriffs were called and no more go kart shenanigans. I did it just because it needed to be done. Neighbor without a tractor didn’t even look my way when driving by. I don’t care. I’m the guy with the capability to do something and I just do it. Gets me seat time and more comfortable with an implement. If someone wants something done, it’ll cost them a favor or money, and no ones getting on it but me

1 - 20 of 51 Posts