Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing the post on that Anvil I looked up the one my Daughter bought for $100.00 and she got a killer deal on it! It is a 125 lb M2066 CENTAUR BURLINGTON #56 Anvil made in Sweden. Guess they can go for over $650.00 and up! She picked up a large old Forge with a Hand operated Blower at the same place I better look that one up too. 100_2526.JPG 100_2527.JPG Might need to chain this down since it just sits in my open shop? This is a write up on one;

125 pound Centaur farrier anvil from Sweden. This company is known for their best quality cast iron anvils and this was one of their best selling farrier anvils. The Swedish anvils are known for top quality steel and defect-free anvils. The Centaur company had high standards and this is one of the best with top rated rebound etc. Condition is excellent on this anvil. Dimensions are 28 inches from horn to heel (total top length). Horn is 11.5 inches. Table is 3x17 11 inches tall. 11 x 9 inch base. Includes a chisel for hardie hole the top of chisel is 2 inches.

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
They ain't cheap! I still haven't bought one but I look at them all the time. Anything I see under $600 is pretty well trashed. If I saw something like your's listed for $100 I'd be there in a hurry and offer them double.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They ain't cheap! I still haven't bought one but I look at them all the time. Anything I see under $600 is pretty well trashed. If I saw something like your's listed for $100 I'd be there in a hurry and offer them double.
She picked up this same Forge setup with Blower too at the same place. The guy on EBay wants $1,250.00 for it! She also got it for $100.00 maybe I need to bring this forge inside and take better care of it! Forge.jpg Forge Blower.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
After mom died we were going thru her house and garages found a Anvil in the storage and a big lard put that hung in my grandfathers barn for butchering cows and hogs. They melted the fat and lard in these huge pots. I took the anvil and pot and let my younger brother have the misc tools and a cheap floor jack. :good2::good2:

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
i wished i would of had the money to get my one pap's anvil, plus his forge-------i don't know what either one brought that day.

the only thing i got from his sale was a JD clevis-that was given to u, when u bought a set jd trailer plows. at least that's what my pap said is how he got his.

i'm sure DRobinson know's what i mean for the clevis. i'll look and see if i can find a pic of one.

jd4044M--u had better put that forge underneath a roof-ok.

The Plow Guy - Hitch Parts

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Took care of the forge tonight. I raised it off the ground now sits on wood. Covered the top with 4 layers of PVC and then a sheet of metal bigger then the forge. The head now spins nice I had a bunch of Transmission Fluid I soaked it in and cleared out all the old grease so it is easy to crank. Here is a picture of the Blowers Side with it's name "CANEDY OTTO MFG Co Chicago Heights Ill" "C 966" Next summer I will blast and treat the Forge with Stove Black since it is not being used just to protect the Cast Iron or at a minimum Oil it good. 100_2529.JPG 100_2530.JPG I still hae a ways to clean it up. There was all kinds of grease on the Blower inside and out! The Forge will go inside soon we found room for it.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,432 Posts
Great deal there JD4044M !! :good2::good2:

I've got my grandfather's English Mousehole anvil (way over 100 years old) and also his old hand crank forge blower, have the
blower picked up, but use the anvil regularly.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Scrap yards will get them sometimes. Not that I wanted one, but I've seen them!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Excuse the thread resurrection, please...

I love anvils. Especially the history of them. Pretty amazing if you start reading about how they contributed to the building of this country.

Richard Postman has a great book out...pretty much the anvil bible. It's called "Anvils in America". I highly recommend it if you're interested in anvils.

I have two. I don't use them but I'd like to learn a little metal working someday...maybe after I retire.

Vulcan #6 (60 lbs) made in 1942:

Trenton 155 lbs made 1899 - 1901 (pic was taken in shop where I bought it):

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
a few years ago ..a buck a # was a good price.

In My area now its closer to 5 bucks a #.

Going to the local Annual Horse drawn equipment auction at the end of the month...I'll see what there bringing this year.
Last year was crazy. Not that I mind AT ALL but the big bidders on all the blacksmithy type stuff were women.

I think its an artsy kind of thing thats growing around here.

Odd thing was that some Huge large equipment was going for 25$..I'm talking machinery that was a few thousand pounds.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'll have to take a look at what we have in the shop at the farm.
No idea how old it is, I can't remember it ever not being there?

Someone mentioned that they saw trashed anvils... How do you trash one? They are solid metal, designed to be beaten on! :lol::unknown:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'll have to take a look at what we have in the shop at the farm.
No idea how old it is, I can't remember it ever not being there?

Someone mentioned that they saw trashed anvils... How do you trash one? They are solid metal, designed to be beaten on! :lol::unknown:

Some get abused by idiots grinding on them. Others just get worn on the edges ( L&R long sides).

Got to be carefull when buying as many many have been welded on the edges. Its a common repair and some have done a better job at this than others.
Anvils are quite interesting and No 2 proper made old school anvils will be the same.
This is why the weight is stamped on the bottom.
Typicly they are made in 3 pieces as I recall & forge welded together.

I'm sure alot of you know way more than I but thats what stuck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
500#

One of our millwrights got into making swords by cold forging once he retired from beating on metal for a living. He found a #500 anvil in Europe. Shipping was $2500 minimum. The guy had two for sale, same shipping charges. He had potential buyers already talking before they made it here. I retired two months after they were to set sail over here, and he was still waiting when I left. Would love to have heard how all that turned out.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Not sure how big mine is, if I remember right, the weight is stamped into the side, it's well over 100 lbs. I haven't moved it in years & don't intend to!

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some get abused by idiots grinding on them. Others just get worn on the edges ( L&R long sides).

Got to be carefull when buying as many many have been welded on the edges. Its a common repair and some have done a better job at this than others.
Anvils are quite interesting and No 2 proper made old school anvils will be the same.
This is why the weight is stamped on the bottom.
Typicly they are made in 3 pieces as I recall & forge welded together.

I'm sure alot of you know way more than I but thats what stuck.

You made me go look it up and this was interesting to read on how Anvils were made before 1956. With all the man hours that went into making one plus all the steps no wonder they cost so much. Anvil-forging

1 - 20 of 21 Posts