Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, somehow, despite having the correct part number, I was sent the wrong outer air filter for my 2018 1025R. It was a cheap aftermarket filter for $8 from eBay. So, I didn't want to bother with sending it back. The seller issued a full refund and told me to keep the filter.

I was going to simply throw it out and had already ordered the correct filter. I noticed that the diameters are the same on both the filter itself as well as the internal seal on the tractor. The only issue is the length. I assume the filter was for earlier 1025R models.
After a couple of days of the filter lying around, I had a eureka moment and decided to call on my old buddy, Phil Swift.

I got a free 1 lb. tub of the stuff somehow. It is interesting stuff. It's thick, spreads like molasses and begins to skin over with air contact and hardens exactly like the rubber the filters are dipped in from the factory....albeit, not as pretty without the mould.
The photo does not show the center section of the sealed end that I tore out to experiment with.

This is the center of the end I ripped out.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know I don't get this stuff sometimes...but is this a joke?
Ha! Sort of, I guess. I would it consider more of a fun experiment. But, the fix did work.
I had no other use for the Flex Paste, what the hell?!?! I never tried the stuff, nothing to lose by trying it.

I mean it doesn't get much simpler. A folded paper core surrounded by a metal mesh skeleton, dipped in rubber. As long as it's sealed on the end...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What would be funny is if you installed it, and the entire 'plug' just blew off the filter. I'd just hope you caught it on video though. :p :LOL:
Actually, I did install it. It works as intended. The engine pulls air through the paper element, so it would not blow off. It is as tough if not tougher than the OEM version for sure. There is no way the end would come off, it is a permanent bond with the paper and metal, exactly like the OEM filter, just not as pretty. Nothing over engineered here, just a simple air filter.

There is nothing wrong with it. It just needs sealed on the end, which it is.
It is just as good as the factory filter. In fact, the rubberized portion is actually thicker than that of the factory. I had the OEM filter and the Flex Paste version side by side. The FP version is slightly heavier. Other than that, it is good to go.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Actually, I did install it. It works as intended. The engine pulls air through the paper element, so it would not blow off. It is as tough if not tougher than the OEM version for sure. There is no way the end would come off, it is a permanent bond with the paper and metal, exactly like the OEM filter, just not as pretty. Nothing over engineered here, just a simple air filter.

There is nothing wrong with it. It just needs sealed on the end, which it is.
It is just as good as the factory filter. In fact, the rubberized portion is actually thicker than that of the factory. I had the OEM filter and the Flex Paste version side by side. The FP version is slightly heavier. Other than that, it is good to go.
I can only dream of having your energy...and balls😂
I would be way too scared to put that in one of my precious little diesel babies!
I’m sure it’s fine though. I guess it beats putting it in a landfill!

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
I would be way too scared to put that in one of my precious little diesel babies!
Agreed! Even just a tiny amount of dirt will ruin an engine.

And I can’t figure out buying filters on ebay. Maybe it’s just me but I use only OEM filters to protect my investment - I mean how much can you save buying generic filters vs. OEM?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agree, I use only oem filters. I bought green and want to keep it green. Same for my trucks, I bought machines because I felt they were the best quality and value for my money. if you don't use oem parts it is not the same machine.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sheesh people, it's not like they are lifetime filters! This is a disposable item and I change it every season along with the oil, despite only putting 20-30 hours on (this tractor). There is an inner and an outer filter. The OEM filters are not some unique and amazing product.

Much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I can only dream of having your energy...and balls😂
I’m sure it’s fine though. I guess it beats putting it in a landfill!
Well, it took all of 5-7 minutes to cut it off and use the rubber. Probably less time than going to the mailbox getting a new filter, opening the box and unwrapping it.
I am not sure why anyone would be afraid of it. The OEM filter is simply dipped into a rubber mold on both ends, not any different. It's sealed just the same. The unmodified end that mates to the tractor fits snug and seals well.

I mean, this is not a homemade crankshaft or a piston made from pots and pans.
It's just an air filter people!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This reminds me of the Styx Song........"Too much time on my hands"............

Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands?
It's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands
It's hard to believe such a calamity

I've got too much time on my hands
And it's ticking away, ticking away from me
Oh come on, it look less time than you spent on this forum today. Why not spend a couple of minutes to try out a new product and learn in the process? My buddy, who is a professional contractor, was impressed by the stuff. He said he is going to keep some around.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I kinda hate to beak into all these negative thoughts, but I just have to be contrary!
So, JP, you've got a filter that you originally couldn't use, plus got a refund. so you now have a free filter that you can't use. Plus, a can of "stuff" you've previously had no use for. Hmmm, a little thought and you have aa use for both! I've got a term for this, but it's waaaay too racist!

Good job. No sense filling up a landfill when something can be successfully recycled! Bob

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I kinda hate to beak into all these negative thoughts, but I just have to be contrary!
So, JP, you've got a filter that you originally couldn't use, plus got a refund. so you now have a free filter that you can't use. Plus, a can of "stuff" you've previously had no use for. Hmmm, a little thought and you have aa use for both! I've got a term for this, but it's waaaay too racist!

Good job. No sense filling up a landfill when something can be successfully recycled! Bob
Ha! :)
Exactly, It never ceases to amaze me what people worry about.

I will definitely TRY to remember I have the paste. It looked gimmicky on TV, but after trying it I am impressed with it. I am sure another use for it will come up eventually.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I digress...What some people fail to realize is that OEM does not always mean manufactured by JD. In fact, it seldom does. While this is not the case with this particular cheapie filter, you can often find the SAME EXACT product from the SAME manufacturer, just not in a fancy green and yellow box for much less. I believe FRAM makes JD filters, or at least they did for a long while.
Also, it doesn't mean it's the best product either, it ONLY means that is what was included with your tractor and meets JD minimum specifications. Chances are you can buy a better filter for less money, sans the JD part number stamped on it.

So, would you buy OEM JD for $22 or the the same FRAM for $15 for example???
Or would spend $20+ at your dealer for a green and yellow box or $12 for a FRAM on eBay??
Just because a product was purchased from Amazon or eBay or XXXX does not mean it is not OEM or not OEM quality. It may in fact be superior to OEM. On top of all that, the real OEM manufacturers of these products often sell cheaper versions of the EXACT same product under a generic brand name for even less. You might be able to buy the $22 JD filter which is really the marked up $15 FRAM filter, for $10 in an Acme Filters box.

You might be paying 3X as much as you need to for that pretty box so you can say; "I only use OEM filters." and might even have less protection than a better aftermarket filter from another brand would provide for less money.

Granted, you always run the risk that the seller is selling a porous Chinese knock or whatever, but I have never knowingly encountered that, yet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think that filter mod to make it work is just fine but who the hell am I? I worked on drilling rigs in the middle of 3rd world countries where you either had parts or you improvise to keep the rig going. You won’t believe what I’ve seen done to keep operations going. Not only that but what we learned that warped a lot of conventional wisdom that I had been taught my whole life.

I’d run that filter for a service interval with no reserve what so ever. I stopped overthinking filters & oils a long time ago. Not a single failure to date but that could change tomorrow.

My late grandfather who made a living as a mechanic would have give that ingenuity a thumbs up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d run that filter for a service interval with no reserve what so ever. I stopped overthinking filters & oils a long time ago. Not a single failure to date but that could change tomorrow.

My late grandfather who made a living as a mechanic would have give that ingenuity a thumbs up.
I quit overthinking them as well. I find, the more wisdom and experience you accumulate over a lifetime, the less concern with the minutia.

If you perform any routine/preventative maintenance on your equipment, it will last.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts