Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my new-to-me 790 (2000) is in great shape, the PTO shield is bent substantially. It clears the PTO shaft, but I'd still like to replace it. So, I'm looking for the two side plates and top.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Just take it off

While my new-to-me 790 (2000) is in great shape, the PTO shield is bent substantially. It clears the PTO shaft, but I'd still like to replace it. So, I'm looking for the two side plates and top.
In all my years, I had never removed a PTO shield off anything but the one on the 790 is off and will stay off until I sell the tractor. No, I don't want to sell it as if I ever do get rid of the tractor I will put it back on before selling but it's a major PITA to hook up the PTO with it on. There's so little clearance between the 3 point lift and drawbar that I don't see the missing shield as a danger.

If you must have one, I suggest looking at some of the used tractor part places over JD.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In all my years, I had never removed a PTO shield off anything but the one on the 790 is off and will stay off until I sell the tractor. No, I don't want to sell it as if I ever do get rid of the tractor I will put it back on before selling but it's a major PITA to hook up the PTO with it on. There's so little clearance between the 3 point lift and drawbar that I don't see the missing shield as a danger.

If you must have one, I suggest looking at some of the used tractor part places over JD.

Treefarmer
Interesting- thanks for sharing. I haven't removed the finish mower yet, so I haven't experienced the tight area. I may just make a new shield, with more room- or just remove the mangled one, and go without.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts