Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Here you go fellas. This has been a long science experiment for me. I'd like to share the results with you.

Here are a few pics to share along with the video. Sorry for the length of the video, but it covers everything.

All of the following pics were using the dual Gator G6 blades.

Striping effect on a lawn that hasn't been cut for two weeks.

Single pass cutting on very tall grass, same lawn. Approx 8=10" tall getting cut to 3-1/4"

Same lawn after cutting, single pass.

You can see the clippings, but this is excellent considering the length of grass I just cut. Again, single pass. Striping isn't really noticeable in this angle, but it's there as evident in previous pic.

This lawn is cut every week and is a lot healthier comparably. This is prior to cutting. Striping is clearly visible, but it's high noon and harder to see. Lawn looks very nice.

My yard after cutting. It's mostly weeds and random whatever. Soil is very acidic with very high clay and rock content. Some ares are fairly bare like my ditchlines.

Same part of the yard taken later in the day with a low angle to show no stragglers being left behind.

For my conditions and machine, these dual G6's are a winning combination. No more stragglers, perfect striping, virtually no clippings anywhere, and excellent overgrowth knock down as well. With high lifts and G6's my results weren't nearly as good. I was ready to go back to single blades. A science experiment on your lawn may turn results as good or even better. 馃嵒

Let's see your results! (y)

Registered
I guess I was confused at what X Blades were. I thought they were a complete blade system rather than that bracket to hold the blades at 90 degrees.

One thing interesting is that the John Deere blades have a step down in them from where they mount to the spindle to where the cutting edge is where yours looked flat. The interesting thing about all of this is that my OEM High Lift blades have less of a step down than the G6. One of your complaints was the offset in cutting height which was worse with the bracket. We still have the same issue where the OEM blades are about 2.5" wide and G6 3" wide but based on your test we could just bolt them up. However because this offset is different, we might not have any stagger in cutting height.

Also worth noting about your comment about the almost too much suction with a high lift and G6, I want to say John Deere's Predator2 blades which are their Gator knock offs have the same offset as the high lift from what I recall.

I don't have a pic of the offset but here are the G6 vs Predtator2.

Premium Member
Interesting DS, especially since you didn't use the brackets and the blades stayed in the X position, but the cut looks great. Of course I'll have to live vicariously through you, not sure if my little X310 would have to umph, though I'll never know unless I try it.

Premium Member
I wonder if the high lift and Gator blade combo would be better suited on a tractor. I always heard the zero turn spin the blades faster 3,000 rpm vs a tractor at 2000. Not sure if that is true but then the suction would be less.

Reactions: PJR832

Registered
Yeah the thing that has me a little concerned about all of this is if his 37hp machine was bogging down or stalling at low RPM when trying to get that much weight spinning on a 61" deck. Well my Z950R is 27hp on a 60" deck.

Registered
I wonder if the high lift and Gator blade combo would be better suited on a tractor. I always heard the zero turn spin the blades faster 3,000 rpm vs a tractor at 2000. Not sure if that is true but then the suction would be less.
That is my understanding as well but I am not sure of the RPM difference. I don't know why there would be an RPM difference though. Maybe because they know people are going to run a ZTR cutting grass at a higher ground speed. If the tractor has the power they just could gear it different to get more speed.

Premium Member
I notice says not recommended for 72鈥 blades. Just a guess but maybe because of the inertia.

Reactions: PJR832

Premium Member
OK DS, how many words are they up to?

I am betting that pretty soon this will have to be moved to the political thread.......

Administrator
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can't say. It really is a science experiment for your machine and your lawn... I thought it wasn't a great idea until I tried the dual G6's. Then it all came together.

Yeah the thing that has me a little concerned about all of this is if his 37hp machine was bogging down or stalling at low RPM when trying to get that much weight spinning on a 61" deck. Well my Z950R is 27hp on a 60" deck.
My 37 hp machine won't spin up the regular Hi Lifts by themselves at idle. It will stall. I've always had to increase the throttle just prior to engaging the PTO. It's just more pronounced with the X blades. For what it's worth, my previous Z915B wouldn't do it at idle either (with just one set of blades).

Administrator
Discussion Starter #12
OK DS, how many words are they up to?

I am betting that pretty soon this will have to be moved to the political thread.......
Are you ok? Did you take your meds today?

Premium Member
Are you ok? Did you take your meds today?

I am on my second glass.

You are the one that laid down the 3,000 words challenge.

I sure can't count that high.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #14

Premium Member

Registered
If someone wants to try this but is unsure of the weight of using G6's, the G5's are a thinner, lighter version. I've used both (not in X configuration yet) and the G5's cut the same but are easier to spin up. They also should recover quicker when bogged down.

Premium Member
DS, I have two sets of G6 gators and thought about trying this on the 758 with 60HC deck. Do you think it has the power for this? What is your opinion on additional wear and tear? Did you torque your spindle bolt tighter than normal to hold them in the X pattern?

Registered
DS, I have two sets of G6 gators and thought about trying this on the 758 with 60HC deck. Do you think it has the power for this? What is your opinion on additional wear and tear? Did you torque your spindle bolt tighter than normal to hold them in the X pattern?
The good news is you will have a bit more torque than those of us with gas engines. I see this being more of a torque issue getting them spun up than a straight HP issue.

Reactions: Herminator and Yank

Administrator
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I would definitely try it out and experiment. More wear and tear, eh, not anything measurable that I could see. As far as the bolts go, no, nothing different. Just good old fashioned German Torque, goodentite. The worse that can happen is it just won鈥檛 spin them up. Once you鈥檙e up to speed it takes a bit more power to keep them running, but not a huge amount more. I think the dual G6鈥檚 were similar in airflow to stock high lifts honestly. At least close enough without any way to measure a difference.

Like I鈥檝e mentioned before, each scenario is a bit of a science experiment. Try it out and see what works for you. (y)

Registered
You mean I can bend blades twice as fast? My farm grass ain't no show piece, it's interesting, but I'm good.
:ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts