Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
No luck. I placed on the second set of blades. First try, had slight contact with the deck. The first set of blades has an inset that keeps them centered. The second set just sits on top of the first. Took deck back off and centered second set of blades the best I could. Tightened to 80 pounds. Bad vibrations every time. Wish it would have worked.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Can you get a set of blades with the correct bolt hole diameter?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I would imagine all the blades made for the 758 are going to fit the flange and not the size of the bolt itself.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I would imagine all the blades made for the 758 are going to fit the flange and not the size of the bolt itself.
Now that you mention that the Z9xx is the same way. The hole is bigger than the bolt. I could make up a bushing to make it work on the metal lathe. There was a guy the other day that was complaining about a terrible vibration. I don't remember if it was a ZTR or tractor but he had a blade off center which happens because of the bolt being smaller than the hole. Maybe the XBlade bracket is more important on our machines but with the bigger hole, I don't know how it would stay centered.

Reactions: Yank

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Again, I would get a blade with the right bolt hole diameter. Not for your tractor per se. When you are doing a science experiment, sometimes you have to think beyond the parts manual. You have to think in many parts manuals.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I might give it a try, I really wanted to run double G6’s.

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Go to Oregon’s website. You can do a search on the dimensions of your blades.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Go to Oregon’s website. You can do a search on the dimensions of your blades.
Do you think the X Blade mount would be simpler for my situation. If I understand correctly, I could run a G6 but the second blade would have to be 2.5 inches wide. Is that correct?

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bollard has several kits. I don’t know your dimensions, so you’ll have to check. My machine has 5/8” bolts, then the width of the blades narrowed my choices down to 2-1/2” or 3” brackets. Ignore what machines they list because their site is set towards commercial Z mowers. Look at the product description to find what you’re looking for.

If it were me, I’d measure your current blades width, diagonal, and bolt diameter and order the correct blade you want. I didn’t need the brackets and the blades didn’t spin on the spindle nor change relation to themselves.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
If it were me, I’d measure your current blades width, diagonal, and bolt diameter and order the correct blade you want. I didn’t need the brackets and the blades didn’t spin on the spindle nor change relation to themselves.
However we have another factor. There is a drop to the blades at least on my Z950R. If you don't account for that and had blades that were flat they would be tucked up so high in the deck that it might not work well. The Ferris spindles must be a lot longer to where your blades are flat.

Different blades have more or less drop. I would say my G6 blades cut about 1/4 lower than my OEM high lift.

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok guys, please check Oregon’s website. They may have the correct blade you’re looking for. They may not. They do make blades with offsets. Please do some legwork. This is a science experiment. You may or may not be able to make it work.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Can x-blades be used on our series 1 tractors? How much build is there on the underside of the deck? Better than single blade or worse?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I ordered the bracket made for the 3 inch blades. If I understand it right, they should hold both my g6 blades together. We will see.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
28 Posts
Peachy. I can now dull blades twice as fast on my rocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here you go fellas. This has been a long science experiment for me. I'd like to share the results with you.

Here are a few pics to share along with the video. Sorry for the length of the video, but it covers everything.

All of the following pics were using the dual Gator G6 blades.

Striping effect on a lawn that hasn't been cut for two weeks.
View attachment 746525

Single pass cutting on very tall grass, same lawn. Approx 8=10" tall getting cut to 3-1/4"
View attachment 746526

Same lawn after cutting, single pass.

View attachment 746527

You can see the clippings, but this is excellent considering the length of grass I just cut. Again, single pass. Striping isn't really noticeable in this angle, but it's there as evident in previous pic.
View attachment 746528

This lawn is cut every week and is a lot healthier comparably. This is prior to cutting. Striping is clearly visible, but it's high noon and harder to see. Lawn looks very nice.
View attachment 746529

My yard after cutting. It's mostly weeds and random whatever. Soil is very acidic with very high clay and rock content. Some ares are fairly bare like my ditchlines.
View attachment 746530

Same part of the yard taken later in the day with a low angle to show no stragglers being left behind.
View attachment 746531

For my conditions and machine, these dual G6's are a winning combination. No more stragglers, perfect striping, virtually no clippings anywhere, and excellent overgrowth knock down as well. With high lifts and G6's my results weren't nearly as good. I was ready to go back to single blades. A science experiment on your lawn may turn results as good or even better. 🍻

Let's see your results! (y)
How much longer of a bolt do you need for this application without the brackets?

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I didn’t use any different bolts on my mower.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
DS, was the biggest problem you had with the brackets that it dropped your blades down lower than normal?

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
DS, was the biggest problem you had with the brackets that it dropped your blades down lower than normal?
Yessir. I didn’t want the second blade to hang another 1/8” lower than the 1/4” it was already hanging low. That and they don’t have these brackets in 2-1/2” x 3”. But now that I’m running dual G6s which are both 3”, that’s no longer a factor.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Yessir. I didn’t want the second blade to hang another 1/8” lower than the 1/4” it was already hanging low. That and they don’t have these brackets in 2-1/2” x 3”. But now that I’m running dual G6s which are both 3”, that’s no longer a factor.
I'm thinking turn one set of blades backwards...and you can cut coming and going, but ...that may only work below the equator 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Holy cow! It's Randy! Good to see you back man! 🍻

21 - 40 of 54 Posts