Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts

Ok, guys. Got my brackets in the mail. Running two G6’s on each spindle. 758 with a 60HC deck. Definitely more noise and vibration. When I say vibration, I mean general. Like the rattle from the anti scalp wheels in the deck holes. Now, the cut is superb!!! I mean beautiful!! More than I ever imagined. Ran it into some 8 inch field grass with deck set to 4 inches. Just a beautiful cut.
As far as starting up the deck, half power gets it turning fine. I also slow it back down to half before disengaging the pto. I do imagine there will be more general wear and tear. How much? I just don’t know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really want to try this with G5's. They look identical to the G6's but made with a lighter gauge metal so I think they would be perfect for stacked blades. I hope to get some before leaf season and see what dual G5s or G6s will do to some leaves.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts

This is tall field grass with no striping kit. Wow.

·
Premium Member
9,367 Posts
How about various combinations of dual blades? Mixing (crossing) a "high Lift" blade with a "factory blade", etc.?

Perhaps having the "factory blade" making the final cut after the high lift blade generates the air flow........Or even alternating the blades under the deck as it processes the grass from left to right under the deck. Upper blade on the far left spindle being a lift blade with a traditional blade underneath and then the center spindle just the opposite and then two high lift blades on the spindle closest to the discharge chute.

This has the potential to keep the science experiment going for some time.

Reactions: rtgt and Yank

·
Registered
112 Posts
How about various combinations of dual blades? Mixing (crossing) a "high Lift" blade with a "factory blade", etc.?

Perhaps having the "factory blade" making the final cut after the high lift blade generates the air flow........Or even alternating the blades under the deck as it processes the grass from left to right under the deck. Upper blade on the far left spindle being a lift blade with a traditional blade underneath and then the center spindle just the opposite and then two high lift blades on the spindle closest to the discharge chute.

OK now I have to "subscribe" for the science 😁

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
Most of us don't have the volume of grass to cut and that experiment would take the average person a whole season to evaluate.

Now some here have quite a bit of grass to cut and are meticulous at documenting details..... and those certain individuals could contribute significantly to the experiment.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I'm gonna have to get me another set of these to try... No idea such an idea even existed, thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I just took off my bottom G6’s and put on G5’s. Seems to be less vibration and noise. Mowed my yard and looks just as good as the double G6’s. The real test will be when my fields grow back out a little. We will see if the extra weight of the second set of G6’s makes a difference or if going with G6 on top and G5 on bottom gives the same results. Hang tight.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I wanted to update some findings. I had reported having increased vibration from running the double G6’s and G6/G5 combo also. Took everything off today after mowing a couple hours with it. Wanted to make sure everything was still tight and in line. It all looked good, so put it all back on. No vibration. None at all. Hmmm? Must have had something wrong. All I know is it runs smooth as silk now. It must be super important to get the blades, bracket, and spacer perfectly aligned.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The thread is worth subscribing.
Not that I have a need for doubles, but the subject is interesting.

Reactions: Yank and trav

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Getting ready to mow the field with the G6/G5 combo. I have done a small amount a testing already. I think this is going to come out great. Pics coming!

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts

So, this is the result of the G6/G5 combo. Absolutely no difference between it and the double G6’s. So, my conclusion is that either combo does a great job with mowing, especially heavier grasses. I would go with the G6/G5 just because it’s lighter and should have less wear and tear. Why run the extra weight on the spindles and belts if not needed? As far as X blading, it works amazingly on my grass.

Reactions: Toyocruiser
41 - 54 of 54 Posts