Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a last resort: I bought an X-758 4WD diesel mower 4 years ago at the end of the mowing season. No problems with the first 1-2 times I used it. In the spring I started mowing but the motor would overheat and shut down the cutting deck.

Short story is, 5-6 trips to the dealer,over the years a few attempts with sensors and a baffle plate added to the deck, and this mower consistently overheats. I have left it at the dealer for months with no results. You cannot mow for more than about an hour with this unit without waiting 20-30 minutes for it to cool down.

The selling dealer is not interested. The service department doesn't know what to do, but they did admit to me that LOTS of owners of these are having the same problem.

This mower is officially out of warranty but I have been complaining about this since I had about 5 hours on it.

I have been demanding my money back for this useless mower about since I bought it. Over $12,000 for a mower that does not work.

Sorry to rant but does anyone know if there is ANYTHING further I can do about this? Thanks!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I found and posted the CEO of John Deere's email address for another issue. Here it is again. Take your time and write a good email. Let him know the product you bought is unsatisfactory and that you cannot in good faith purchase any more John Deere products nor recommend them. I got a call the next day or so later.......You'll get a regional Customer Service person who should be able to drive this to resolution one way or the other.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found and posted the CEO of John Deere's email address for another issue. Here it is again. Take your time and write a good email. Let him know the product you bought is unsatisfactory and that you cannot in good faith purchase any more John Deere products nor recommend them. I got a call the next day or so later.......You'll get a regional Customer Service person who should be able to drive this to resolution one way or the other.

[email protected]
MANY thanks for this!!

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
This is a last resort: I bought an X-758 4WD diesel mower 4 years ago at the end of the mowing season. No problems with the first 1-2 times I used it. In the spring I started mowing but the motor would overheat and shut down the cutting deck.

Short story is, 5-6 trips to the dealer,over the years a few attempts with sensors and a baffle plate added to the deck, and this mower consistently overheats. I have left it at the dealer for months with no results. You cannot mow for more than about an hour with this unit without waiting 20-30 minutes for it to cool down.

The selling dealer is not interested. The service department doesn't know what to do, but they did admit to me that LOTS of owners of these are having the same problem.

This mower is officially out of warranty but I have been complaining about this since I had about 5 hours on it.

I have been demanding my money back for this useless mower about since I bought it. Over $12,000 for a mower that does not work.

Sorry to rant but does anyone know if there is ANYTHING further I can do about this? Thanks!!

Really hate to hear this , sounds like you've had this problem since new... Shame your dealer won't help you,,So just wondering has the radiator ever been replaced.

Knowing from using the x590 and now x738 I take the Stihl blower and clean the radiator after every mowing. When I use the blower it is from engine bay toward the driver seat.

When Harley had his x590 it would overheat , , well temp gauge would show it was overheating. One time it showed it was overheating , removed the radiator cap and I put my finger down in the antifreeze, did not burn my finger.

The x590 had an issue with the dash circuit board ,,, wonder .:dunno:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’ve had my x758 for 5 years and put around 296 hours on it. I’ve never had it over heat. I’ve blown some pretty nasty stuff out of the screen and radiator when I noticed the temp running a little warmer than normal. At 4 years you are now out of warranty. Are you mechanically inclined? Remove the thermostat and test it. A metal can,thermometer and heat source are all you need. Sounds to me like it’s stuck closed. If I get a chance I will search the new version of Deere DTAC and see if there’s any solutions posted. I seem to recall seeing a update program for the dash but if your dealer is just a lawn and garden place they may not have a datalink for Service Advisor to download such stuff

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another thought. Are you unknowingly overloading the engine because it is running a the correct speed? I found the throttle cable was out of adjustment on mine when it was new and wouldn’t pull the lever on the pump all the way to the factory preset stop. Adjusting and checking the speed with a photo tach made a huge power difference with my 54 inch blower

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've noticed that when I mow and there is a lot of old dried grass, mine tends to over heat. I pull the radiator
screen, clean it, start the engine and in about 1 minute the temp is coming down. Make sure the screen by the radiator is kept clean. Also as stated before, run full throttle for mowing. Also make sure the anti-freeze is at the correct level.
If all that is good and your dealer is baffled, it is time for the Regional manager to get involved.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I don't know what state your in but NY has a lemon law. Several attempts to fix and nothing sounds like a case to me.
What did they do. A bad batch of thermostats or even put in upside down during assembly could be the problem.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
I've noticed that when I mow and there is a lot of old dried grass, mine tends to over heat. I pull the radiator
screen, clean it, start the engine and in about 1 minute the temp is coming down. Make sure the screen by the radiator is kept clean. Also as stated before, run full throttle for mowing. Also make sure the anti-freeze is at the correct level.
If all that is good and your dealer is baffled, it is time for the Regional manager to get involved.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Agree with gas or diesel and Run at full throttle. If you are mowing at half or 3/4 it will probably overheat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
X758 Chaff Blocking Radiator

I mow several acres every other week and had no problem until late September. By then the grass was dry and a lot of left over cuttings blown up by the mower. On a windy day it all came right back at me and blocked the outer screen and the inner one too. Since a lot of the mowing in on a side hill I watch where I am going not the OP panel. It shut down frequently on me. I found that mowing too high(~4") let's too much chaff blow out the left front and right back into the radiator. So this late in the year I would only mow after a rain or early when there was still some dew left to keep the chaff down.
During the green grass growing season there was no problem.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I’ve had my X758 for a few months now. 30 some hours. When I first got it, I mowed the field in front of my house. Grass was really dry, middle of a drought dry, and around 12 inches high. The day was around 95 degrees. I overheated that day a couple times. When I pulled the screen, I seen why. It was caked solid. After cleaning it, temp came right down. I think it is a combination of high, dry grass and a large engine with a lot of air pull. Besides that one day, never had another problem. My regular yard is large. I have mowed for hours on end with no problem.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When Harley had his x590 it would overheat , , well temp gauge would show it was overheating. One time it showed it was overheating , removed the radiator cap and I put my finger down in the antifreeze, did not burn my finger.
How long after the machine was shut down did you do this? There's more going on than a malfunctioning sensor. First, the cooling system should be pressurized, so removing the cap would get you a small, and very hot, geyser of coolant. Second, the coolant should be hot enough to scald you. What you describe sounds like a failed water pump.

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
How long after the machine was shut down did you do this? There's more going on than a malfunctioning sensor. First, the cooling system should be pressurized, so removing the cap would get you a small, and very hot, geyser of coolant. Second, the coolant should be hot enough to scald you. What you describe sounds like a failed water pump.

Harley the owner of the x590 , and I had done several test weeks before doing this dumb trick..

Each time the temp gauge light would come on I had only been mowing maybe 10-15 mins. When I did this engine was running and I had loosened the radiator cap 5 mins before removing the cap.

This had been going on for months of high temp gauge. The dealer had told him the dash panel was probably going bad and it was going to cost close to a $1000 to replace.
With cap removed you could see antifreeze movement inside the radiator. Before doing this I had even touch the metal with a rag ,,, wasn't hot to touch, and then I had touch the metal of the radiator with bare hand .. Hot to warm but still no burnt hand. that is when I touch the antifreeze.

Trust me I would never have done this without making sure it was safe... We both knew if that radiator was hot , coolant would have been flying.

Even when I loosened the cap, I had a rag covering the possible spray and there was nothing.

Almost the same as a cold engine.

Thanks for the concern.

and hopefully folks reading this will understand why I did this trick..

·
Registered
116 Posts
530 hours on my x758 and I have had no chronic cooling issues. It will overheat in dusty/dry conditions but I simply pull the screens and clean them out. It also gets blown out religiously. I would rather it tell me its hot than run hot.

Sounds like the OP has a problem somewhere, I would agree with earlier suggestions to start with simple cheap things like thermostats.

·
Registered
649 Posts
He has had it to the dealer several times and I assume by now they have checked or replaced all the stuff mentioned so far. It rare but I have put brand new parts ona car and the new one was defective.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Really hate to hear this , sounds like you've had this problem since new... Shame your dealer won't help you,,So just wondering has the radiator ever been replaced.

Knowing from using the x590 and now x738 I take the Stihl blower and clean the radiator after every mowing. When I use the blower it is from engine bay toward the driver seat.

The x590 had an issue with the dash circuit board ,,, wonder .:dunno:
Um, x590? Radiator cap? What year is that? Mine's a 2019, and is an air-cooled Kawasaki engine. Are you talking about the K72's cooling fan??? :unknown:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Um, x590? Radiator cap? What year is that? Mine's a 2019, and is an air-cooled Kawasaki engine. Are you talking about the K72's cooling fan??? :unknown:
The older x5xx tractors were the equivalent to the modern x7xx tractors with a liquid cool engine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
In midsummer, on very hot days, My X748's gauge would run just past the halfway area. I knew my radiator screen was clogging if it got much past half. I only had my tractor shut down twice in the 11 years I had it from getting too hot. Most of the time, the gauge stayed about 1/3 of the way from cold. I always ran it full throttle for mowing and loader work, maybe a little less when tilling, and half throttle or so just moving from place to place with no load.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
As others have mentioned, the x7-series tractors really pull in air through the radiator and tend to plug the pre-screen with grass/leaves fast. I assume you know how to remove that screen to clean it? I'm not talking about the screens below the steering wheel on the outside, I'm talking about the screen panel that slides out the left side after you open the hood. If so, and you keep it clean, then perhaps the radiator fins themselves are plugged with dust/dirt/clippings. Blow them out from behind or spray a hose though them (engine cold, preferably) to make sure the fins are clean.

I mow a lot of acres and in drier conditions the pre-screen needs cleaning at least every hour. When I see the temp bars getting high, or if I miss it and the warning light comes on, I clean the screen. The tractor cools down fairly quickly after that.

Rob

1 - 20 of 34 Posts