Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '13 x758 developed a coolant puddle under it one day, so I investigated. As I was checking over the hoses, I found the culprit. A misplaced and loose upper clamp on the lower radiator hose at the thermostat housing was it. However, I also found the head of a bolt on the front of the engine accessory drive cover, just in front of the fuel pump, had rubbed almost completely through the same hose. So in the interest of saving someone some money if they're near the end of their 4 year/700 hour warranty, figured I'd give you all a heads up so you can go check. I was installing a block heater anyway, so instead of screwing around taking the tractor in to the dealer, they just gave me the hose and I brought my old one in, installed it myself. Honestly, it takes longer for the coolant to drain than it does to change the hose. But one thing to note; I did end up trimming about 1" off the lower end of the hose. The new hose was slightly longer at the bottom and left the first bend too close for comfort to the motor mount bolt. The hose in question is #3 in the link. (crappy picture, but it's that one.) Also of note, the new hose doesn't really fit any better than the old one, so I positioned it the best I could and ziptied it in 2 spots to the main harness running down the radiator shroud. First pic I attached is the hose in reference to the engine. Second pic is the damage and bolt head.

Edit: Sorry, just realized it uploaded my pics rotated 90 degrees.

OEM Parts

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
Good catch. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Maybe you can "armor" it with some of the convoluted loom (if you can find large enough diameter)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinkin of using the hose armor I put on my plow lines on that radiator hose but the zip ties worked out just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
My '13 x758 developed a coolant puddle under it one day, so I investigated. As I was checking over the hoses, I found the culprit. A misplaced and loose upper clamp on the lower radiator hose at the thermostat housing was it. However, I also found the head of a bolt on the front of the engine accessory drive cover, just in front of the fuel pump, had rubbed almost completely through the same hose. So in the interest of saving someone some money if they're near the end of their 4 year/700 hour warranty, figured I'd give you all a heads up so you can go check. I was installing a block heater anyway, so instead of screwing around taking the tractor in to the dealer, they just gave me the hose and I brought my old one in, installed it myself. Honestly, it takes longer for the coolant to drain than it does to change the hose. But one thing to note; I did end up trimming about 1" off the lower end of the hose. The new hose was slightly longer at the bottom and left the first bend too close for comfort to the motor mount bolt. The hose in question is #3 in the link. (crappy picture, but it's that one.) Also of note, the new hose doesn't really fit any better than the old one, so I positioned it the best I could and ziptied it in 2 spots to the main harness running down the radiator shroud. First pic I attached is the hose in reference to the engine. Second pic is the damage and bolt head.

OEM Parts
You are not alone my friend, I had a leak too and found all the hose clamps were not tight enough to hold a fart! I moved the radiator hose away from the bolt and put a piece of old radiator hose around the one I moved with two plastic zip-ties like you did and I believe it would have been a short period of time before it wore thru.. Mine may have been worse because the dealer connected a cab heater and I think they took a break and forget where they were! Great post.. and thanks for posting it. I mentioned this last winter about the hoses not being clamped enough, but good to see it again as a reminder.. If you have a new JD check everything you can including fluids and engine oil! :hi:

·
Registered
338 Posts

OEM Parts

When I had my X748, hose clamps were all lose and started leaking. Became an annual maintenance thing.

Phil d

·
Registered
404 Posts
You are not alone my friend, I had a leak too and found all the hose clamps were not tight enough to hold a fart! I moved the radiator hose away from the bolt and put a piece of old radiator hose around the one I moved with two plastic zip-ties like you did and I believe it would have been a short period of time before it wore thru.. Mine may have been worse because the dealer connected a cab heater and I think they took a break and forget where they were! Great post.. and thanks for posting it. I mentioned this last winter about the hoses not being clamped enough, but good to see it again as a reminder.. If you have a new JD check everything you can including fluids and engine oil! :hi:
Good preventative maintenance :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Loose hose clamps have been an on going problem not only on the L&G tractors but also on the larger AG tractors up into the 6 series. We beeched, griped and complained to lil avail. Now we just tighten them up at Pre delivery. Run em til hot and snug em up a lil more. We dyno all 3 series and above to check HP and cooling system, so we tighten at that time. X series get an hour run at WOT. Leak check and snug hose clamps. No problems so far.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
The hoses must just shrink when new, no matter what machine it is. After I bought my motorcycle, same thing, it started leaking antifreeze. And yep, it was a loose radiator hose clamp! Hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figure I'll run mine a while (if we ever get any damn snow to move) and make sure that hose is all set with placement and the clamps are still tight. I figure if it saves someone a dead tractor in the middle of their yard or driveway due to losing all the coolant from this hose, it's worth the advisory to check! I've looked at the hose a handful of times and it wasn't until I pulled it away from the block and twisted it a bit that I could see the damage. It was hiding good!

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
I figure I'll run mine a while (if we ever get any damn snow to move) and make sure that hose is all set with placement and the clamps are still tight. I figure if it saves someone a dead tractor in the middle of their yard or driveway due to losing all the coolant from this hose, it's worth the advisory to check! I've looked at the hose a handful of times and it wasn't until I pulled it away from the block and twisted it a bit that I could see the damage. It was hiding good!
I looked at mine again Friday to see what if anything was going on and I am sure glad I put another piece of hose around the one that was rubbing on the bolt, it would have worn thru for sure.. I changed it out for a new one and did a tightening of all the clamps I could.. There is one near the muffler I cannot get to so you know that will be the one that will eventually leak! I would need to take the muffler off to actually get to it. I have tried every tool I have to get it but no way. I will say this too for anyone new to these tractors, the valve that you need to open and close for the oil changes.. Use a 5MM socket attached to a 12 " extension and a 1/4" socket wrench and go thru the front just over the front axle housing and it will make your life that much easier than trying to get at it from underneath, That is a real PITA! Make sure you do not have your Q hitch on too! and one more hint,, put a longer hose on both the oil and oil filter before you decide to change the filter and oil.. it will make your life so much easier because they couldn't have just given you 5 more inches,, No,, leave it short so the friggin oil goes all over the place or you hold it until they both stop dripping.. I have to wonder what goes thru their minds something's,, 5 more inches will it break the bank? I just extended what is there then folded it back up in the frame when completed.. This will be an every 6 month thing for me to check all this stuff, the oil changes and normal routine maintenance is a given but to check everything that can come loose! I wonder why they don't put this info in the tractor manual? I guess they want you to take it to the dealer!
I am having my local fabrication shop make me some pads for my two post lift so I can get this tractor up and not have to "fit" under the darned thing anymore, getting to old for this up and down thing! The wife sits down and says , where are your ramps?? Okay now go back into the house please!!!!! While I am all sweat, oil, grease and getting a headache! :nunu:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I am having my local fabrication shop make me some pads for my two post lift so I can get this tractor up and not have to "fit" under the darned thing anymore, getting to old for this up and down thing! The wife sits down and says , where are your ramps?? Okay now go back into the house please!!!!! While I am all sweat, oil, grease and getting a headache! :nunu:
Correct, ramps just don't cut it, do they? I am sure you have seen my tractor lift arrangement already Tractor Lift. Make sure we get to see your lofty idea!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts