Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 X300 with 48" deck will not start, however when key turned there is a clicking sound near or on the starter. The starter finally will engage after multiple turns of the key.

I have checked the wire connections but found nothing loose. John Deere tells me a new starter will cost $250. Has anyone had this problem and had it repaired without resorting to a new starter?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Check the battery connections,be sure there's no corrosion on the terminals.If that's the original battery you might think about getting a new one being 5 years old.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My 2012 X300 with 48" deck will not start, however when key turned there is a clicking sound near or on the starter. The starter finally will engage after multiple turns of the key.

I have checked the wire connections but found nothing loose. John Deere tells me a new starter will cost $250. Has anyone had this problem and had it repaired without resorting to a new starter?
Odds are better that the battery is bad. More so then the starter. Any time you are trying to diagnose an electrical problem. The first thing that you must do is make sure your battery is 100% good. The next step is making sure that both battery cables are in good shape. The connections at both ends must be clean and tight.

Use a voltage meter and check the reading at the terminals. It should read better than 12.5 volts. Then turn the key on and crank the engine. If the reading drops below 9-10 volts the battery is shot. You can also remove the battery. Then take it to the dealer or parts store for testing. Most places will test it for free.

·
Premium Member
11,373 Posts
Another vote for the battery. There have been a rash of battery related issues posted on the forums lately involving all sizes of tractors. All seem to have similar problems.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If it eventually starts then I doubt it's the battery. More likely the starter solenoid. Its clicking but not sending power to the starter. Pretty common failure.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If it eventually starts then I doubt it's the battery. More likely the starter solenoid. Its clicking but not sending power to the starter. Pretty common failure.

This is why it is best to diagnose the problem. Instead of just throwing parts at it. In hopes of getting lucky. The cost of a starter (that you didn't need) would easily cover the labor to have a tech check the problem out.

This is another reason electrical parts are never returnable.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
This is why it is best to diagnose the problem. Instead of just throwing parts at it. In hopes of getting lucky. The cost of a starter (that you didn't need) would easily cover the labor to have a tech check the problem out.

This is another reason electrical parts are never returnable.
I agree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts