Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 x300 which dies out after about 30 minutes,found very little fuel in the filter so I thought the fuel pump was bad,wrong decision !!It's definetly a fuel issue because when I hooked up a gravity fed fuel can to the fuel pump the engine runs fine.My question is there a filter in the tank that could cause this condition?I tried removing the gas cap to see if this would solve the issue but to no avail.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and info on how to access the fuel tank

·
Registered
124 Posts
Venting plugged ?

I have a 2013 x300 which dies out after about 30 minutes,found very little fuel in the filter so I thought the fuel pump was bad,wrong decision !!It's definetly a fuel issue because when I hooked up a gravity fed fuel can to the fuel pump the engine runs fine.My question is there a filter in the tank that could cause this condition?I tried removing the gas cap to see if this would solve the issue but to no avail.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and info on how to access the fuel tank
What about venting (beyond the fuel cap)? (i.e. in a plugged vent of some kind). No air into tank will eventually cause fuel starvation although you would think removing the fuel cap would be a solution.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I agree that it could be a vent issue. When it dies, open the gas cap and see if there is a rush of air and all of a sudden it is back to normal. Sometimes if there is a small vent hole in the cap it gets plugged with dirt/dust. You could try and run it with the cap loose to see if that fixes the issue. If so try and clean the vent hole or get a new cap.

There isn't a fuel filter normally in the tank. More of a sock like thing on the end of the pickup tube. Odds are you would have to have really a lot of junk in your fuel for that to be a problem. When it is running does it surge or is it fine and all of a sudden just dies? As for the filter inline, it is pretty normal for them to not be full of fuel. If mounted vertically like my X585 there probably isn't any air in it but mine isn't clear so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Well it definitely sounds like something in the tank or the fuel lines. You will have to remove the fender deck to access them. Some tanks have a vent in the top of them. They don't use a vented cap. However removing the cap should give it enough air to run correctly. Odds are something else is going on inside. No other way to tell but look.

With any running problem the first thing to check for is bad gas. Could be water, dirt or both. If a tank has contamination the only way to get it out is tank removal. Even then it can be a PITA.

The auxiliary tank test you described definitely points to a tank problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x3000 fuel

Well it definitely sounds like something in the tank or the fuel lines. You will have to remove the fender deck to access them. Some tanks have a vent in the top of them. They don't use a vented cap. However removing the cap should give it enough air to run correctly. Odds are something else is going on inside. No other way to tell but look.

With any running problem the first thing to check for is bad gas. Could be water, dirt or both. If a tank has contamination the only way to get it out is tank removal. Even then it can be a PITA.

The auxiliary tank test you described definitely points to a tank problem.
Thanks to all for the useful info,will post what I found the problem to be

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuel line

Thanks for all the replies.I found the problem to the fuel starvation,it was a kinked fuel line in the gas tank.There is no filter on this model intank.The fuel line is 5/16 plastic line and I had to heat the line to get the bend of the original line.Removing the deck was fairly easy no need for any special tools.The fuel line was $15 purchased at a nearby auto parts store,it was meant for a Chrysler so I had to cut off the ends but it works great,hope this helps for others with a no fuel condition

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.I found the problem to the fuel starvation,it was a kinked fuel line in the gas tank.There is no filter on this model intank.The fuel line is 5/16 plastic line and I had to heat the line to get the bend of the original line.Removing the deck was fairly easy no need for any special tools.The fuel line was $15 purchased at a nearby auto parts store,it was meant for a Chrysler so I had to cut off the ends but it works great,hope this helps for others with a no fuel condition
It's amazing how how your tractor worked for so many years without this causing a problem.

Glad you got it fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts