Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a JD X300 that I can only get to start by holding my hand over the air intake. It’ll run maybe 10 seconds and then start dying. If I put my hand back over the intake it’ll come back to life, run 10 seconds, start dying again. I’m at a loss.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's no way to mow the lawn. Welcome to the group. You need to know if you have fresh fuel being delivered to the carburetor for starters.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
That sounds like the classic symptoms of a fuel delivery problem. Chances are it is a dirty carburetor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's no way to mow the lawn. Welcome to the group. You need to know if you have fresh fuel being delivered to the carburetor for starters.
Thank you. I’ve ran 4-5 tanks through it this season. I guess I’ll start by draining the tank and changing the fuel. I changed the fuel filter at the beginning of the season. How much fuel should be coming through the pump while the engine is cranking?

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Thank you. I’ve ran 4-5 tanks through it this season. I guess I’ll start by draining the tank and changing the fuel. I changed the fuel filter at the beginning of the season. How much fuel should be coming through the pump while the engine is cranking?
The fuel pump test in the manual has you run the engine at fast idle for 15-seconds and in that time the fuel pump should put out 2.2 oz. of fuel. There are some YouTube videos that show how the pumps work when just cranking the engine. If they squirt out some fuel while cranking they are usually ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking I have a fuel line problem. Fuel filter was dirty, changed it. Blew through line from tank to filter with air compressor. Doesn’t seem like a lot getting through. Tried blowing by mouth, and nothing. Planning on changing fuel line in the morning.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Likely there is debris in the pick up tube in the tank. Pedals off, body off then pull the tank and plan of rinsing it out or flushing with fuel and dumping, and dumping is a better way to put it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help. Got a buddy to help me, cleaned carburetor. Everything good for 45 minutes of mowing. Started dying again. Switched blades off. Runs fine at full throttle as long a there is no load. Maybe still some debris in carb?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got it I think. Re-cleaned carb, replaced fuel line, dumped and cleaned fuel tank. Seems to be running like new now. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts