Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this falls into the category of "don't do this" it is unsafe.

Anyway, on my new to me x300 when I go into reverse it automatically shuts down the mower deck blades, I understand why but its a big nuisance for me.

I haven't studied the diagrams yet but I assume that there is a switch on the reverse pedal. When you step on it then I suppose it interrupts current to the electric clutch for the mower blade so you have to repeat the blade engage process again.

So...I assume if I bypass this switch that this feature will stop. Right? Besides that does the switch tell the tranny or anything else to do anything different in which case it will take a bit more reverse engineering to disable this blade shutoff feature. Or maybe JD has made it difficult to disable this feature. Hopefully, there is not a mystical black box where all the wires go into and out-of that shuts everything off if anything is bypassed.

I need to order a service manual, I suspect the answer is in there, but I have to believe many others have already done this. My bigger brother unmodified JD2210 doesn't have this undesirable safety feature.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This should answer your question. I did this on a different model, but the youtube is for your model. See link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBRdECTkr1g
In the ghetto, in the ghetto. Eric Cartman sings an Elvis song on his way to stay at Kenny's house. lol

Don't do it!

And I'm not talking about bypassing a safety system. I'm talking about doing it by just jamming a piece of wire into the plug. At least take the time and the $.50 to do it correctly. Build a proper jumper with spade connections that actually fit the plug. A zip tie to secure the loose harness wouldn't hurt either.

I could tell by the amount of dead grass on top of the deck that this guy is an idiot. How lazy is that? Seen another video on a guy doing the first 8 hour oil change on a new JD tractor. The deck was so covered with dry grass it looked like a snow cone. You couldn't even see the belt and pulleys.

Your 300 PTO switch is similar to the one on my 540. This is what I do to bypass the RIO. Lift the switch and jam my rubber JD keychain between the switch and dash. Works like a charm every time. Plus nothing on the tractor has to be changed or modified.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey HD dealer,
are you saying that the yellow switch on your dash snaps back down when you go into reverse? So then you block it up with the rubber wedge to keep it from going down?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hey HD dealer,
are you saying that the yellow switch on your dash snaps back down when you go into reverse? So then you block it up with the rubber wedge to keep it from going down?
Just like this. The key chain is kind of rubbery and pliable. A hard plastic one might not work as well.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, I confirmed that my x300 works the same way. That PTO switch is actually like a 3 position circuit breaker. If you pull it out all the way PTO is engaged, however, stepping on back pedal it drops down a notch not all the way down. So inside that switch must be an electromagnet that keeps the circuit closed when current is flowing but if it gets interupted it falls down 1 notch and you have to start over. Anyway, wooden clothes pin should work. Lots easier than poking around looking for that switch on the pedal bracket.

thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yep, I confirmed that my x300 works the same way. That PTO switch is actually like a 3 position circuit breaker. If you pull it out all the way PTO is engaged, however, stepping on back pedal it drops down a notch not all the way down. So inside that switch must be an electromagnet that keeps the circuit closed when current is flowing but if it gets interupted it falls down 1 notch and you have to start over. Anyway, wooden clothes pin should work. Lots easier than poking around looking for that switch on the pedal bracket.

thanks for all the suggestions.
Mine is a 3 position switch but not like a circuit breaker.

Down all the way - PTO is off.

Up one notch - PTO is on but if you press the brake or reverse pedals it automatically turns off the PTO. However the switch stays in the same position. To restart the PTO you must push the switch down/off then pull it up to on again.

Up 2 notches - RIO activated. You can now back up with the PTO engaged. This position is spring loaded so you must hold it up to keep the RIO activated. As soon as you leave go of the switch it returns to the on position. Once the tractor is moving backward the RIO switch can be released and the PTO will continue to run. However as soon as you release the rearward pedal it resets. Then you must lift the RIO switch again the next time you want to back up with the PTO engaged.

Pulling the switch all the way up. Then put the keychain between the switch and dash. This holds it up in the top/RIO position. Then you can back up whenever you want without killing the PTO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suspect that mine works just like yours but I haven't described it accurately. stepping on reverse kicks circuit out and that's what I meant by "circuit breaker" like action. It triggers a break that you have to reset by pushing down and pulling back out. Maybe more like how a gfi works. Anyway, I got it now. Nothing a small piece of styrofoam can't fix. Much easier than crawling underneath looking for that switch.
tks

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I would actually argue that it is more dangerous having the cut out on backup than not. Trying to hold up on the switch while at the same time turning around and looking behind you makes it harder. They don't have the reverse cut off safety on other mowers like my Z950R but I guess that is because it is a commercial unit and it would be harder to do.

I don't know your machine as well. I agree that you can stuff something like the key chain under to hold the switch up. That is an easy fix. On most machines you are right that there is a switch that detects when you go into reverse and opens up the circuit for the PTO. What that looks like will likely differ a bit based on the machine.

My X585 has a switch mounted to the frame under the foot rests next to the directional control pedals. On my X585 there are 4 wires going to it and this switch has two sides to it. The switch has a plunger so I will describe operation at rest. The at rest state is applied to the switch when you are sitting there not moving or going forward. If you back up the plunger is pressed down. So at rest two contacts have continuity or are normally closed. The other two have no continuity or are normally open. The reason for this is the same switch provides two functions. The first set I described that are normally closed are used for the PTO. As long as you are not moving or moving forward they are closed and provide an electrical path to keep the PTO circuit energized. The side that is normally open unless backing up, is actually used for the lights. This is because my light switch has 3 positions. Off - headlights on with reverse lights while backing - headlights and reverse lights on all the time. It is that middle position where the other half of the switch comes into play. So simply disconnecting the wire and using a jumper (I agree the right way) means (on my machine) that the backup lights will no longer work. I can still use them manually by turning the lights all the way over to the all lights on mode. I don't do much at night other than plowing snow so all the lights are on then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly, I can understand your explanation. I say sadly, because I am so tired of machines trying to help me. Like my 06 silverado turning on lights whether I want them on or not. This is another device subject to failure in the future. Maybe millenials like these new features.

I have asked people to turn off headlights at times and they don't know how to do it. Maybe sometimes it can't be done. Thanks for listening to my vent.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Sadly, I can understand your explanation. I say sadly, because I am so tired of machines trying to help me. Like my 06 silverado turning on lights whether I want them on or not. This is another device subject to failure in the future. Maybe millenials like these new features.

I have asked people to turn off headlights at times and they don't know how to do it. Maybe sometimes it can't be done. Thanks for listening to my vent.
Yeah, the lawyers get involved. Like I said this feature causes more danger than it fixes in my book. I can live with the other ones like machine shuts off if parking brake isn't set. A lot of people don't like the seat safety.

In my case it is exactly what you said though. I always complained about the stupid reverse PTO shutdown. I would do like others and wedge something in there or live with it complaining all the way. It is really bad while running the snow blower because when it is cold you are bundled up, wearing thick gloves and trying to look behind you as you back down a driveway. But it is still a pain mowing around obstacles, doing 3 pt turns and such. With my machine I finally was motivated to do something about it one day when I couldn't cut my grass. I pulled out the service manual and started going through everything. Turns out my reverse switch failed. So the Normally Closed side of the switch was always open. So the safety interlocks wouldn't work. So here I am with the switch in hand thinking, yep that is the failed part all right. It has done nothing but piss me off over the last 10 or so years. There is no way in h#ll I am spending $40 or whatever they cost to replace it. It has been bypassed ever since that day. If there was any part that could have possibly failed on my X585 that was the one I would have voted for.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yeah, the lawyers get involved. Like I said this feature causes more danger than it fixes in my book. I can live with the other ones like machine shuts off if parking brake isn't set. A lot of people don't like the seat safety.

In my case it is exactly what you said though. I always complained about the stupid reverse PTO shutdown. I would do like others and wedge something in there or live with it complaining all the way. It is really bad while running the snow blower because when it is cold you are bundled up, wearing thick gloves and trying to look behind you as you back down a driveway. But it is still a pain mowing around obstacles, doing 3 pt turns and such. With my machine I finally was motivated to do something about it one day when I couldn't cut my grass. I pulled out the service manual and started going through everything. Turns out my reverse switch failed. So the Normally Closed side of the switch was always open. So the safety interlocks wouldn't work. So here I am with the switch in hand thinking, yep that is the failed part all right. It has done nothing but piss me off over the last 10 or so years. There is no way in h#ll I am spending $40 or whatever they cost to replace it. It has been bypassed ever since that day. If there was any part that could have possibly failed on my X585 that was the one I would have voted for.
I first noticed this on my then new L108 tractor. That machine had a small yellow button to push. I don't have the best back in the world due to a spine injury. So not holding the steering wheel with both hands aggravated things. Especially backing up with manual steering. Ended up replacing the button with a On/off switch from the auto parts store. Explained how the switch works to the new owner. Asked if he wanted the stock button that I removed? He didn't. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get so tired of these companies trying to protect boneheads. On the other hand, I do see why they have the seat safety switch, as I personally know three people who've been injured by rolling a mower without the safety. On one, I actually had to stop the tractor so I could render aid. I think some of it is bad mowing habits, who knows? I do, however, disable the seat safety because it's so sensitive I can't even lean sideways to go under tree limbs. I also can't live with the rediculous RIO, so it gets disconnected. If it was hooked up I'd wear it out in short order, and I agree it's more dangerous hooked up than unhooked. You need bother hands forward and try to look backwards, who's bright idea was that? Some lawyer who'd never mower in his life?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts