Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My x300 has a Kawasaki iTorque twin that will not start unless the choke is full on. Once started, no choke is required and it runs just fine. I can run this thing for a half hour, shut it of and then immediately try to restart it and it won't start unless I give it full choke. Once started, it's fine again.

I cleaned the carburetor thoroughly, and checked the gaskets. I made sure it is all buttoned up nice and mounted on the engine tight with no air or liquid leaks.

I have cleaned dozens of carburetors in my day, but this one is the first I have seen that has a solenoid under the bowl. What is that solenoid for and can it be causing the problem? I guess another question is WHEN is the solenoid supposed to be activated and why?

This is more of a nuisance problem because it works great after starting, I just don't like having to use 2 hands to get it started.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
the solenoid is energized when the key is turned on. When not energized it closed off the fuel line and will not allow fuel into the bowl. Energised it allows the float to open or close it off. At least that's how it works on my old stx-38

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
Most solenoids on the bottom of the fuel bowl shut off fuel flow into the engine from the main jet. It doesn't restrict flow into the bowl. They are commonly referred to as "anti-backfire" solenoids. When de-energized at shut down, fuel isn't supposed to go into the engine while it's spinning down only to be ignited inside the muffler. Mixtures are on the lean side with today's engines already, so without these solenoids, backfires are very common and hard to prevent.

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
sounds like I had that figured out ALL WRONG....
I'm wrong all the time.

Once, I had actually agreed with Gizmo! :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most solenoids on the bottom of the fuel bowl shut off fuel flow into the engine from the main jet. It doesn't restrict flow into the bowl. They are commonly referred to as "anti-backfire" solenoids. When de-energized at shut down, fuel isn't supposed to go into the engine while it's spinning down only to be ignited inside the muffler. Mixtures are on the lean side with today's engines already, so without these solenoids, backfires are very common and hard to prevent.
Thanks! Any thoughts on why I need to have a full choke to start it even when the engine is hot?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Thanks! Any thoughts on why I need to have a full choke to start it even when the engine is hot?
It could be that the carb is a little lean and needs a little extra fuel to get going. I know on my 318 some times I need to choke it when it is warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts