Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have had a x300 with a 44 inch blower for a few years now. It seems to be getting harder and harder to get any traction with it when blowing snow( i do have chains on). I am over 200lbs and have the 2 weights that are provided with it. If i am not on level ground and good grip ie bare driveway it just spins the rear wheels. I rock back and forth and usually end up having to get off and pull the thing to an area where i can get some better grip. Has anyone else had this issue. It is getting a bit much for this 54 year old to be dragging it around. I gave up today and got out the 1023 and used the bucket to shovel out the snow. Anyone do any mods to get better traction?

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
It sounds like you need to trade-in the X300 blower for a blower that fits the 1023 and demote that X300 back to mowing duties. There is no substitute for more weight and 4WD.

Reactions: arlen

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Ok i have had a x300 with a 44 inch blower for a few years now. It seems to be getting harder and harder to get any traction with it when blowing snow( i do have chains on). I am over 200lbs and have the 2 weights that are provided with it. If i am not on level ground and good grip ie bare driveway it just spins the rear wheels. I rock back and forth and usually end up having to get off and pull the thing to an area where i can get some better grip. Has anyone else had this issue. It is getting a bit much for this 54 year old to be dragging it around. I gave up today and got out the 1023 and used the bucket to shovel out the snow. Anyone do any mods to get better traction?
You said the rears are spinning? Are you sure the tranny is not slipping? I do agree with gayman, you should outfit your 1023 for snow blowing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply. That was the answer i was expecting. The spinning is one wheel will spin and if i move my weight onto it then the other spins. Need a limited slip dif. and that should help the issue.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You could try adding more weight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 2 JD weights and myself at 220lbs. was thinking of getting tractor trailer tube and filling it with sand and set it around seat. The dealer here only recommends the 2 weights.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Wheel weights or suit case ? Wheel weights are commonly used on the box store lawn tractors with snow blowers. Some also fill the tires with fluid and/or put some type of weight on the rear. Suit case weights, sand bags, pails of sand can all be used.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You could try adding more weight.
:thumbup1gif: yup, a rear ballast box should do the trick, about 400-500 lbs worth.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Reactions: arlen

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Normally with any traction issue with garden tractors the proper thing to do is add more weight -- UP TO the limit recommended by the manufacturer. Because the x300 is a lawn tractor and known to have a somewhat fragile trans-axle, the limit is not very much in its case, hence the dealer recommendation of a low limit on the number of suitcase weights. The Cargo mount accessories for this series of tractors includes a rear spreader rated at 125 pounds so that about the same as 3 suitcase weights... Here is an excerpt from the on-line manual:

Using Weights

CAUTION: Avoid injury! The machine may become unstable when operating on slopes and/or with some attachments.
Use weights to improve stability when operating on slopes or using attachments.
Remove weights when not required.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Never use liquid in tires or wheel weights as ballast. Transmission damage can occur.
When rear ballast is needed, use only the approved rear weight bracket and attaching weights.

NOTE: See your authorized dealer for recommended weights.
· Install front weights for added stability and steering control when you use equipment such as the rear-mounted grass bagger.
· Install rear weights when using the snow blade or snowblower.
· Remove weights when not required.​

Chuck

·
Registered
523 Posts
My x540 "multiterrain" spends the whole winter in his shed For my "terrain" here upstate ny in the winter i have to use a 4wd tractor

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What seems to be working and keeping any costs down is doing what i can with x300 and if an area where i know i get into issues with spinning i use the loader on 1023 to push snow so blower can move it well away easily. If i was to use just the loader i get drifting and then end up with more snow and bigger mounds of snow which gives me more drifting. That is reason i am apprehensive to not just ditch the blower and use loader. I am also thinking of building a snow type blade that i can mount to the front of 1023. Time will tell. Thanks for all the help. Have yet to find and old inner tube to fill with sand yet either.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 96' GT325, 44" Bercomac snow blower,chains and just air filled
tires. I do driveways in town,float my tractor out of town to do 2 hobby
farm laneways out in the country. Lots of snow and drifts.
It may be the way you are using your tractor??
Part of the laneway behind my horse my friend is holding.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts