Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... last week, I went to start my Jd and it sounded like the starter wasn't engaging and then got the dead battery ( ticking) sound.... turned key off, tried again... it engaged, spun slow, but started and mowed with no issues.

Forward to today... crazy week equals..... I forgot about the starting issue.... went to crank it.... ticking sound.... but then it started to spin the motor and wouldn't fire.

I know it's not good to jump them, but had to get this done...and will admit it's not the first time I have done it... usually hook it up and fires instantly..... again... cranked fast, but no fire.

I had an oil change kit sitting Round, so I changed the fuel filter because it didn't look like it was filling... even blew so air back thru the line to the tank... hooked up the filter... cranked it and the filter filled up. Thought maybe the cylinders were flooded
Due to the cranking... took out the old plugs and put in new. They weren't wet or anything out of ordinary. Same result.... then I pulled the line off the fuel pump to see if it was coming out.... yup..cranked it and shot fuel a few feet thru the air... pump works....

Seems like no spark... so, as a last resort, I went old school... pulled a plug and grounded it to the block while still connected to the wire..... no spark

What can I test/ check now? Any ideas on what it could be.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Start with the safety switches.Check the battery connections for corrosion and the cables.I had a positive cable the was green with corrosion and didn't notice it till the casing got peeled back taking it off.Lastly you may need to get a battery if everything checks out.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The interlock modules dont take kindly to jump starts. If you know for sure it isnt sparking then my vote goes for the module.
The quick and dirty way to tell if its a module goes as follows. . under/near the starter you will see a black wire sealed in a plastic boot. Its a bullet style connector. Unplug it. Now try to start the engine. If its the module it will start.. However your PTO will no engage. Try that and report back.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New battery.... cranks great... still no fire.

I noticed two wires running next to each other past the starter ( will have to look at color) that have rubber covered bullet connectors.... are these the wires? Where would the black one start/ end? Or do I need to be looking for a different wire..

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
New battery.... cranks great... still no fire.

I noticed two wires running next to each other past the starter ( will have to look at color) that have rubber covered bullet connectors.... are these the wires? Where would the black one start/ end? Or do I need to be looking for a different wire..
The wire should go from the module to the magnetos. If the module wants the engine shut down it grounds out the mags killing the spark. By disconnecting the wire you are preventing this from happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had similar thing. Had to replace ECU. In general have you had a lot of issues with the machine? Seems like mine always has a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope... first problem since I bought it new.

BOOM.... fired up as soon as I turned the key with the black wire unhooked.

What do I need to replace??

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Nope... first problem since I bought it new.

BOOM.... fired up as soon as I turned the key with the black wire unhooked.

What do I need to replace??
XCD said the interlock module. Call your dealer the parts peep should know what you are talking about.

Sounds like you "let the smoke out of it" as they say. Chalk another one up to jump starting. Possibly the worst thing that you can do to a JD tractor. This is like the third failure that I read about on here.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yup.. Bad module. They hate to be jumped. Safe bet is to disconnect battery and charge it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
XCD said the interlock module. Call your dealer the parts peep should know what you are talking about.

Sounds like you "let the smoke out of it" as they say. Chalk another one up to jump starting. Possibly the worst thing that you can do to a JD tractor. This is like the third failure that I read about on here.
I bought and keep 2 in my electrical tool cart. One for testing and 1 in case i burn up a customers!
Easier to do the black wire trick unless i have a weird pto issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok then..... now... I know going to a dealer is like buying stuff at Acura.....$$$$$$

Any good online places to buy from?

And that is the name of the part... interlock module?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh..... and where is the module located??? Lol... might be easier for my wife to take it with her to the store!!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The price is less than 100 bucks. Its located up under the instrument panel. A 2inch by 4inch black unit. Has one screw and a wiring harness plug. 6 wires? Cant remember. Next to hour meter. Wrench size is 10mm. In the parts program its called a module. I wanna say its like 70 to 80 bucks but that will vary by dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts