Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was 1.5 hours into mowing the grass with my X320 last night when I stopped to talk to my neighbor for a few minutes. After talking, I turned the key and the mower would barely crank. Then after a couple more tries it cranked over fine, but would not start. Then I stopped and tried again and it would barely crank again. My neighbor got his jumper cables and I tried again and it cranked over fine but would not start no matter how many times I tried. It has never done this before.

It has gas in it. The blades were turned off. The brake was pressed. It should have started right up.

Now the first time I went to start the mower for the year a few weeks ago, after sitting all winter, it would not start. I had to jump it. When I pulled the red cover off of the battery terminal to hook up the jumper cables a few weeks ago, the red battery terminal cover was packed solid with corrosion. I scraped out as much corrosion as I could and then hooked up the jumper cables and it started just fine and I have been using it for the last few weeks with no problems.

So I do not understand why it would crank but not start last night after stopping to talk to my neighbor.

Would the corrosion on the battery terminal cause this situation? It cranks over, but won't start. I had scraped most of the corrosion off, but never cleaned it properly a few weeks ago.

I have not tried to start it yet today.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Here are some suggestions from the Operator's Manual:

ENGINE
Engine Cranks But Will Not Start
• Spark plug wire is loose or disconnected.
• Improper fuel.
• Plugged fuel filter.
• Electrical problem - See Electrical Troubleshooting Section

ELECTRICAL
Starter Does Not Work Or Will Not Turn Engine
• Brake pedal is not depressed.
• Mower Engagement Lever is in ENGAGED position.
• Battery terminals are corroded.
• Battery not charged.
• Blown fuse.
• Defective key switch
• Fusible Link is blown - See your John Deere Dealer.
Battery Will Not Charge
• Dead cell in the battery.
• Battery cables and terminals are dirty.
• Low engine speed or excessive idling.
Lights Do Not Work
• Light plug disconnected.
• Loose or burned out bulb.

·
Registered
927 Posts
How old is the tractor/battery? Some of our tractors are very heavily reliant on electronics to run. If your battery does not have enough juice, tractor won't start even if it cranks. You could test the battery, but then again sometimes even if it shows 12v, it isn't enough. If the battery is >5 years old, that is where I would start.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the tractor new in 2013. I had to replace the factory battery not long after I bought the tractor due to a bad battery. So I guess the battery is about 4 years old. Since the battery was dead at the start of this season, maybe I will replace it and then clean up that corroded wire and start with that.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Check for spark. If not firing, you likely fried the igntion interlock module. Bad connections and jump starting causes voltage spikes.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know not everyone thinks this is the best approach but you can quickly determine if the problem is a fuel supply issue or a lack of spark issue. Raise the hood, open up the air cleaner, and put a small amount of gasoline in the carburator (I mean like an ounce or two). Crank the engine and if the issue was lack of fuel supply, then the engine will fire up and run for a few seconds then die as it consumes the fuel you put in the carb (or just spray some starter fluid in the carb). If the engine does not fire up then for some reason there is no spark.

Going from here is pretty straightforward depending on whether its a spark issue or fuel supply. If as others have said, a bad battery or blown fuses or controls due to jump starting would cause the absence of any spark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I will be looking into it this weekend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, on Friday I got home from work and cleaned the corrosion on the battery terminals with some baking soda. Then after I cleaned all of that up, I checked the battery with my multi-meter and it showed 12.55V, so I gave it a shot and the tractor started right up. It has been fine now all weekend.

I did not try starting the mower before I cleaned the battery terminals on Friday, so I don't know what the problem actually was or if cleaning that corrosion off of the battery terminals actually made the difference. Not sure, but it starts right up now. :unknown:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Well, on Friday I got home from work and cleaned the corrosion on the battery terminals with some baking soda. Then after I cleaned all of that up, I checked the battery with my multi-meter and it showed 12.55V, so I gave it a shot and the tractor started right up. It has been fine now all weekend.

I did not try starting the mower before I cleaned the battery terminals on Friday, so I don't know what the problem actually was or if cleaning that corrosion off of the battery terminals actually made the difference. Not sure, but it starts right up now. :unknown:
Did you just clean the corrosion off the terminals, with the cables still connected? Or, did you disconnect the cables, clean the terminals and cable ends, then re-connect the cable?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cleaned them with the cables still connected. I know it would have been better to take them apart to clean. The hot terminal was pretty bad. It is way better now.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Every spring, I disconnect the cables from the battery to clean them completely. Sometimes the corrosion builds up between the two. After cleaning, I use a small, flat file on the battery terminal and the cable eyelet, to get down the shiny brass & lead, then reconnect the cables with new hardware(bolts/nuts).

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You always need to remove the terminals to clean the inside. That's the important part. If it's corroded on the outside it's definitely corroded on the inside. You want shiny to shiny for proper power flow.

You also want to always keep a battery case as clean as possible. The dirt will help self discharge your battery.

Afterwards apply your choice of terminal dressing. This will help keep the corrosion away.

Get your self a battery terminal cleaning tool. They are cheep enough from any auto parts store or tool outlet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts