Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X320 that will not crank. Checked the fuses and found one that is solid black with no amperage designation. It has two arrows pointing towards each other. No other markings. There is no continuity between the fuse blades but I don't know if there should be.. Can anyone identify that this fuse is and does?

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
Can you post a close up picture of the fuse and its location?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image 1.JPG

I found it in the JD parts catalog. It's a diode. Should there be continuity between the two spades?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happened was this. I took the solenoid off to check and clean it. Apparently I hooked it up incorrectly and now I get nothing when I turn the key.

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
The symbol on that device is for a DIODE. With a multimeter is should have some conductance in one direction and none in the other. Do you have a multimeter with a "diode" function?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This my meter. I think it's pointed the diode function but I don't know. I've never used tit so I'll need a little assistance please.

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
This my meter. I think it's pointed the diode function but I don't know. I've never used tit so I'll need a little assistance please.
This is from a Fluke manual:

A diode is best tested by measuring the voltage drop across the diode when it is forward-biased. A forward-biased diode acts as a closed switch, permitting current to flow.

A multimeter’s Diode Test mode produces a small voltage between test leads. The multimeter then displays the voltage drop when the test leads are connected across a diode when forward-biased. The Diode Test procedure is conducted as follows:

1. Make certain a) all power to the circuit is OFF and b) no voltage exists at the diode. Voltage may be present in the circuit due to charged capacitors. If so, the capacitors need to be discharged. Set the multimeter to measure ac or dc voltage as required.
  2. Turn the dial (rotary switch) to Diode Test mode (
    How to test diodes
    ). It may share a space on the dial with another function.
  3. Connect the test leads to the diode. Record the measurement displayed.
  4. Reverse the test leads. Record the measurement displayed.
Diode test analysis
  • A good forward-based diode displays a voltage drop ranging from 0.5 to 0.8 volts for the most commonly used silicon diodes. Some germanium diodes have a voltage drop ranging from 0.2 to 0.3 V.
  • The multimeter displays OL when a good diode is reverse-biased. The OL reading indicates the diode is functioning as an open switch.
  • A bad (opened) diode does not allow current to flow in either direction. A multimeter will display OL in both directions when the diode is opened.
  • A shorted diode has the same voltage drop reading (approximately 0.4 V) in both directions.
A multimeter set to the Resistance mode (Ω) can be used as an additional diode test or, as mentioned previously, if a multimeter does not include the Diode Test mode.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the diode is good based on the test you described. The meter read 0.596 and with the leads reversed it read zero. Does the arrow indicate which way it should go into the fuse box? I realize that may not be what it means at all. It looks like I may have shorted my relay. I put 12v to terminals 85 & 86 with zero results using alligator clips connected to the battery and the relay. I did not hear any clicking, etc. Before I unplugged the power I connected the meter to terminals 30 and 87A with no results.

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
I believe the diode is good based on the test you described. The meter read 0.596 and with the leads reversed it read zero. Does the arrow indicate which way it should go into the fuse box? I realize that may not be what it means at all. It looks like I may have shorted my relay. I put 12v to terminals 85 & 86 with zero results using alligator clips connected to the battery and the relay. I did not hear any clicking, etc. Before I unplugged the power I connected the meter to terminals 30 and 87A with no results.
No, the arrow indicates the polarity of the diode. It will only work if inserted the correct way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That occurred to me after I hit the reply button. I'll try it inserted the other way. I don't believe I've shorted it it out though. Thanks for yours and Sulley's help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts