Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Churches X320 seems to run ok but low rpm at WOT. They will pay a JD dealer to fix but thought if I could fix it could save us some cash. I do not have a manual or any idea where to start with an efi engine. Thanks for any guidance in troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Churches X320 seems to run ok but low rpm at WOT. They will pay a JD dealer to fix but thought if I could fix it could save us some cash. I do not have a manual or any idea where to start with an efi engine. Thanks for any guidance in troubleshooting.
When you say "low RPM at WOT" are you measuring this with a tach or is it more of an opinion compared to where you think it should be or you have experienced with another X320?

What issues are the low RPM causing? Cutting problems, etc.?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When you say "low RPM at WOT" are you measuring this with a tach or is it more of an opinion compared to where you think it should be or you have experienced with another X320?

What issues are the low RPM causing? Cutting problems, etc.?
It revs up some but noticeably not reving up like it used to, deck engages just not reving. One of my volunteers came to me with the issue. Seems to run ok just not reving up. I need to get it home for closer inspection other than in the field. Was running ok last fall October, changed oil, fuel filter and air cleaner along with greasing was all that has changed. Fuel filter was oriented properly.
Thank you

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the test and adjustment section from the tech manual from WFM. Will let you once I get some time to inspect. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
An X320 doesn't have an EFI engine. Have you check the obvious like air filter and fuel filter? We've seen them where the air filter is so clogged it can't rev up.
Just saw you did change the filters.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Grasping at straws here...
Could a fuel line be pinched, or could the gas tank intake be clogged?
(Maybe some dirt or grass got in the tank.)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Start simple; make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly.

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Check for mouse (mice) nest in air inlet tubes as well as the filter housing, etc.

Bad fuel because the ethanol blended fuel sold everywhere is garbage and tends to clog up fuel systems with a crystalized looking mess if the fuel is old. Even treating the fuel with Stabil doesn't prevent this as the ethanol blends are getting higher in some brands of gasoline.

Run some Lucas fuel conditioner through the fuel system, run it at about double the normal strength on the existing tank of fuel as even sitting a couple of months is hard on this gas and fuel systems. It can also gunk up the fuel supply lines and fuel pump.

As another said, throttle cable adjustment.

When others use the machine, sometimes they might make their own "adjustments" to try and help the situation which might just need to be undone if you discover them.....

Otherwise, new plugs, confirm the spark plug wires are both good and properly connected, fuel filters, etc. A coil firing might not be firing as it should be with a hot enough spark and a weak spark is similar to a cylinder down at higher RPMS.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope to get some time with it this Saturday to start checking the things mentioned. Going to start with the throttle cable and go from there. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know as I do not like asked question with no answers from ops on resolution! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swapped coils, tested, running fine. Couldn't mow as it was wet. Only thing I can figure is maybe I didn't get the left boot on the plug? Pull it many times, you'd think I would get it right at least once. Anyway it running well, hope it stays "fixed".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts