Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the X320 vs the X500 or X530 series. My questions are really what benefit would I get of one over the others. I plan on getting the 54" deck and don't really know whether the power difference justifies the larger price of the X5. I have 3.5 acres, but this will mow only the 3/4 acre around the house. I have an area the I will continue to mow with my 62D on my JD2320:greentractorride: that is field grass. The tractor is just a little heavy for my main yard around the house. I borrowed my neighbors X530 and it was the best cut I've had on the yard yet. Is the power steering that important to these small lawn tractors? I don't ever plan on putting any attachments on this, so I don't need to consider moving up to the X7. Any help is appreciated.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
I only mow 1 acre. I purchased an X500 over a X3xx for one reason only - differential lock pedal. I have hills and dips and my old rider was constantly getting stuck. Now when I get a bit of wheel spin I touch the diff-lock and off I go.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The non-power steering garden tractors are not hard to turn, in my opinion. One thing to think about is whether or not you want hydraulic deck lift. I don't think either the 320 or 500 have it

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Unless your yard is as flat as a pool table the diff lock is priceless. The power steering & deck lift is worth the upgrade to the X530 in my opinion. The transaxle also comes with a serviceable filter that you don't get with the X500

·
Registered
130 Posts
The X320 is not a garden tractor, its just a lawn tractor. The X500 and X530 are garden tractors with much heavier transaxles capable of ground engaging equipment... much much heavier duty. The power steering and hydraulic lift are very nice on the X530 but for just mowing the X500 should do just fine. The power steering and hydraulic lift really come in handy for snow removal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had these exact same questions when I was in the market a few weeks ago. I thought I could get by with a X3**, and liked the price. However, my yard is quite hilly and has some wet areas. Even my chained 4052 has found some spots where the diff lock was necessary. At the end of the day I decided differential lock was a must and then the woman decided she might mow the grass (AKA we need power steering), so we now have a week old X530. It was only a good $3,000 more than I originally set out to spend, but that first cut and leaf chomping chore put a huge smile on my face.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the feedback.:good2:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hiya,

Why can't you use the 2320 for around the house? I use a 2520 with a 62D for my mowing. The money spent on another lawn/garden tractor will buy a really nice MCS and some other nice toys errrr.... attachments for the 2320, just saying... :kidw_truck_smiley:

Tom

·
Registered
160 Posts
Always easy to spend other people’s money,. Truth is unless you have very hilly property ( does not have to be pool table flat) the X320 will work like a charm - I do agree power steering is not necessary but once you get used to it , nice to have. I’d probably look at an X360 – or X530. I’d probably wait till Jan 2nd when Deere announces its new X3xx and X5xx series , the 2015 models will have huge incentives

·
Registered
592 Posts
Always easy to spend other people’s money,. Truth is unless you have very hilly property ( does not have to be pool table flat) the X320 will work like a charm - I do agree power steering is not necessary but once you get used to it , nice to have. I’d probably look at an X360 – or X530. I’d probably wait till Jan 2nd when Deere announces its new X3xx and X5xx series , the 2015 models will have huge incentives
+1 to this. I only traded up from an X320 to the 1025R so I could have a tiller and loader. I even had a 44" snow blade on the front of my X320. Of course, I'm in the SW Ohio area, so we don't get tons of snow either, so take that with a grain of salt.

For 3/4 acre and no attachments required, I'd say the X320 would work fine. I believe the X5 series would be overkill for just mowing, especially since you're limiting yourself to the 54" deck. The X320's 22HP V-twin handles it with ease.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have noticed a very large number of people who originally buy a X300 series lawn tractor end up quickly trading them in on X500 series garden tractors. Its always better to get a little too big of a tractor than to get a tractor that isn't enough. If you think a X300 series is enough... then get a X500 series.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Seen an X320 towing a small landscapeing trailer on a road test yesterday. It was hauling about 10 large garbage cans. Looked like a nice solid unit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hiya,

Why can't you use the 2320 for around the house? I use a 2520 with a 62D for my mowing. The money spent on another lawn/garden tractor will buy a really nice MCS and some other nice toys errrr.... attachments for the 2320, just saying... :kidw_truck_smiley:

Tom
It's not that I can't mow with my 62D MMM, I have for 4 years. The 2320 with the loaded tires is just a little heavy for weekly mowing, and it's really my wife driving this purchase. Who am I to argue?:thumbup1gif::dunno: The X320 is now out, so now it's more of a power steering/lift or not issue. I am also looking to see what the new model year has as they drop later this month.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My two cents- get the missus on a X320 and let her try it (if you haven't already) before it gets ruled out. I find the steering low effort and provided the assist spring is properly adjusted, the deck lift is low effort as well. And this is from someone spent most of this year recovering from a nasty fall (shattered left femur and separated left shoulder) and who already has hip and knee replacements.

The X500 series are more capable without a doubt but for mowing 3/4 of an acre the X320 is far more than adequate not to mention a lot less expensive. I mow 2.5+ acres with mine and snowblow 300 ft. of driveway and often a neighbor's drive too, come winter. We bought it new in 2007 and it's been a great little workhorse ... just turned over 865 hours on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having just gone thru this last month, my decision came down to the butt test. I test drove a X390 the a X594........If I never drove a X594 I would have purchase the X390 for my 1 acre of mowing. but once I drove the X590, I felt the differential lock would help me on a berm I mow that has 10 trees. It just feels more stable and safer. I would have the Mrs do the same. Your wan there to be happy and most importantly safe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having just gone thru this last month, my decision came down to the butt test. I test drove a X390 the a X594........If I never drove a X594 I would have purchase the X390 for my 1 acre of mowing. but once I drove the X590, I felt the differential lock would help me on a berm I mow that has 10 trees. It just feels more stable and safer. I would have the Mrs do the same. Your wan there to be happy and most importantly safe.
I'm guessing they probably made their decision 4 or 5 years ago. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
hmmm.. for some reason this popped up today.....OK then.......same answer..perhaps someone down the road will appreciate the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts