Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’day guys,
I’ve inherited an older model X324 at a position groundskeeping for a Primary School, today about 5 minutes into mowing I’ve heard a bit of an odd vibration from the deck and shut it off to check, couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary, 20 seconds later and it seems I’ve sheared off something from the left underside of the deck.

I’m pretty limited on experience and learning as I’m going, had a look underneath, all looks pretty clear and couldn’t spot what’s done it, anyone able to give me a hand? It’s had a full dealer service about 25hrs ago (first in about 5 years by the service record)
Cheers
Automotive tire Sky Cloud Road surface Wood
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Branch Asphalt

·
Premium Member
16,043 Posts
It looks like one of the baffles from under the deck has broken loose. Below is an example.

Hood Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
You should “straighten it” or better said redefine the curve and weld it back on. It is there to control flow and probably helps with suction.

Reactions: MattL

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
2,103 Posts
Ahhh I see, thanks, good to know what it is
Big problem or nah not really?
It'll impact the decks ability to discharge clippings - how bad is unknown till you try it. That being said, it's not a small chunk of metal. I'd inspect the blades and spindles for damage before use. A bent blade or damaged spindle will at best provide a bad/uneven cut, at worst could break and become a projectile with (while unlikely) dire consequences.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
960 Posts
Will only affect the quality of cut. If you aren't picky about the lawn, I would leave it out. If you do care about the cut quality, you will have to reform it to the original shape and re-weld it back into place or replace the deck. JD doesn't sell that part separate so your fabrication skills will determine the quality of the repair. I have lost a couple of the baffles on my 445 tractors 54" deck over the years and as I am cutting old cow pasture, I didn't try to do any repairs. I don't know how to weld and the expense of paying someone else to do the repairs was not worth it to me. Your requirements will be different.

Reactions: Dr Maphesto

·
Premium Member
16,043 Posts
I found a better photo of an X300 deck. I believe the piece that broke off your deck is the straight baffle shown in the photo below.

Wood Grass Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
335 Posts
After flipping the deck over, it should be easy to see where it was welded to the housing. Should help with relocating it where it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts