Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one should I go with, The Briggs 20hp or the Kawasaki 18.5? I have a fairly flat 1 acre yard. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,704 Posts
Which one should I go with, The Briggs 20hp or the Kawasaki 18.5? I have a fairly flat 1 acre yard. Thanks
Kawasaki!!!!!!!

The reliability and service life of the Kawasaki engines are far superior to the Briggs.

·
Premium Member
10,704 Posts
what is the major difference. I am replacing a 21 yr old craftsman that had a 25hp briggs in it
The B&S engines used today are not the same engines used 20+ years ago. Most of today's small B&S engines are very cheaply made (other than the Vanguard). The Kawasaki engines have a proven track record and are good for 2000+ hrs if well maintained.

·
Premium Member
10,704 Posts
Thanks. The difference in price is only $300. I guess that would be money well spent
If you do some searches there are a lot of discussions on various forums indicating that it is money VERY WELL spent. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
More horsepower for a lower price means there's a shortcut somewhere in the X330 design. Deere has a long history with Kawasaki and that was important to me. I have a 2016 X350 and it has more power than the K46 transaxle and turf tires can handle. Any more would be wasted (or reduce lifespan if you don't lose traction!) Another vote for the Kawasaki V-Twin.

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
More horsepower for a lower price means there's a shortcut somewhere in the X330 design. Deere has a long history with Kawasaki and that was important to me. I have a 2016 X350 and it has more power than the K46 transaxle and turf tires can handle. Any more would be wasted (or reduce lifespan if you don't lose traction!) Another vote for the Kawasaki V-Twin.
Horsepower ratings are purely for marketing purposes. The average homeowner when shopping for a lawn tractor - what else does he go by but horsepower? Does he really look at the deck design, the frame, or anything else? Maybe cup holders and power outlets in today’s world but that is it. So comparing 2 tractors the one with more horsepower must be better, right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Asked the same question about 3 years ago - the answer - a x370!!

A 350 with power steering basically. I found the upgrade worth it.

Definitely go with the Kawasaki - when I bought mine the B&S has just been brought out I think. Dealer gave me the whole sales pitch on how great they are - asked if they’re so great, why is Deere just now selling them? Lack of response sold me on Kawasaki.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts