Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Was an issue on older X3/5/7 when they came out with that digital display. I thought they updated the design to vent to try to keep that from happening.

Reactions: shoot4fun

·
Registered
245 Posts
They also claimed that it would appear and disappear with operation of the machine, engine heat and such would help get rid of it. I'd recommend gettin in touch with your dealer to see what they can do for you, especially since that's a new machine.

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
The older X3/5 dashes with just an hour meter would get condensation even though the machine was always stored indoors. My 2720 dash also gets condensation occasionally. It’s unavoidable.

Reactions: shoot4fun and gdow

·
Registered
2022 X350
63 Posts
The older X3/5 dashes with just an hour meter would get condensation even though the machine was always stored indoors. My 2720 dash also gets condensation occasionally. It’s unavoidable.
Yep, I've got a new X350 and it will very occasionally have condensation when the conditions are right. When it starts running it goes away. From what I've found, it's normal.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mowed for close to two hours and it progressively got worse.
I would certainly try to talk to the dealer then. And tell them the same information of course. See if they can take care of it for you. It usually cleared up with operation according to the information I found.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Unfortunately condensation has always been a problem. Especially in the motorcycle industry. Had lots of complaints over the years but no solution. Other than put it in the sun.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Is there a safe way you can drill some holes to vent and let wire up a small electrical fan to have moving air through the dash cluster?
IMO drilling a hole would only make the problem worse cause now it can breath all that humid air. One way to solve this would be to purge the cluster with something like nitrogen just before it's sealed. Of course no manufacturer does that because it's not practical and eventually the nitrogen will leak out over the years anyway.

·
Registered
4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
833 Posts
Any time you have a "closed" system like that, i.e. clear cover over a cavity, some minor condensation is "normal". It shouldn't get worse with use, it should clear up. Newer model headlight assemblies will do this as well. DO NOT DRILL HOLES! Talk to your dealership, take pics of the problem as it gets worse. Document the issue as best you can.

Reactions: Toonzy

·
Registered
361 Posts
Point I am trying to make is that you either need to generate heat and improve airflow to help remove the condensation or find a way to remove the moisture and re seal the unit

·
Registered
694 Posts
At some point the air inside cooled off (like when it got parked in a cool (and perhaps humid) location after the air in the dash was warm. This drew damp air into the unit.

Subsequent heating cycles expel air and cooling cycles draw air back in.
Heating cycles will expel some humidity/moisture each time. If the cooling cycles draw in dryer air each time -- it will reduce the internal humidy.
After a number of cycles it should be back to 'normal'.

At least that's what I've had happen with similar assemblies.

·
Registered
4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
833 Posts
Point I am trying to make is that you either need to generate heat and improve airflow to help remove the condensation or find a way to remove the moisture and re seal the unit
It's a good idea, but hard to implement. Short of removing the dash panel, disassembling it, drying everything down to near zero humidity, then reassemble it in a near zero humidity environment while maintaining a near perfect seal, it ain't likely to be completely successful. Obviously it's seal is has been corrupted, or it wouldn't be getting worse, rather than better. The best idea is to get it to the dealership with at its worst. The next best plan would be to document it at its worst so they can at least see how bad it is/was. As stated before, there is some minor condensation that is considered "normal". Condensation that increases, rather than decreases is a sign of failure in the sealing of the unit. Having never seen this particular unit first hand, I have no way to know exactly what would fix it, but I have dealt with this issue on other parts that are very similar. It is, most likely, a poor gasketing issue, or poor fusion of the plastic housing when welded/joined during assembly.
Many LED light bars that are "water resistant- IP6whatever" will have a condensation buildup due to poor venting, or poor gasketing, or both. It may be a simple matter to fix, but if the unit is still under warranty then your best course is take it to your dealer. I know that sux, but it beats voiding warranty... Just my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts